My semi feral cat has disappeared

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestions, Jim. I agree it is going to take time. I do believe he was happy to see me, and when he trotted across the grass to our familiar sound I was so happy. If Redford were a stray it would probably be easier to capture him, but he arrived into my life as a feral. I was socializing him, and now I feel it has all been undone. But perhaps not, as he did accept food from me today and was as close as two feet though very cautious.

On the positive side, I am speaking to people who live in that neighborhood and letting them know he is new to the colony of cats he has befriended and that he in fact has a home with me. They know I am trying to catch him. Later this evening I hope to see the caregiver, or at least leave a note with my phone number for her.

What I really need is a team of rescuers with about ten baited traps. That would probably get them all, including Redford.

I must have lost ten pounds these last two months, oy!

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My current Feral project, Callie the male Calico, took a long time to allow me to touch him...about two years. He is still pretty feral except with me, but he still acts wild-ish and sometimes won't come to me or acts afraid. Food was the key to winning him over. I made a habit out of feeding him every day about the same time of day. Eventually he began to wait for me, then began to rub around my legs if I had food with me (I made sure to open a can of wet food, letting him hear the sound of the can opening). Soon he began to eat while I was still putting the food into his bowl...a pat on the head and more physical contact quickly followed once he allowed me to pet him while eating. Its important to not scare him while he is eating..if Callie looks upset, I'll stop and let him calm down a little.

Since he already associates you a little bit with food, I think that you are on your way to making a permanent friend. Its important that he comes to you...Callie still runs off if I come to him...if he comes to me he is OK with it. Callie still disappears every year between December and March/April. I'm not sure where he goes but he loses a good bit of weight over the winter. I have learned to have faith that he will return, and so far he has. Keep up the hard work and it will pay off in the end. Feral cats are funny, but they are really appreciative once they are accustomed to people.

Jim  

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had made a lot of progress with Redford for the last year and a half. He totally associated me with food, and on some days he would come into the front hall of the house to eat. I went to see him again last night. I brought roast chicken, one of his favorite snacks. I fed him by leaving a piece of chicken on the ground between us. He let me get about two feet from him. He enjoyed the food, and I hung out in the back yard with him, speaking softly to him. There were less cats around last night, and that was good. I met the woman who feeds the cats and she told me Redford arrived about two weeks ago. This place is straight north 6 and 1/2 miles from my house. I left a large dog crate in the back yard, door open, close to the opening to the porch space where cats go in to sleep. I want Redford to get used to it being there. It is raining today and the chances of him being out are slim, but I am going back this morning anyway. I will bring more of his favorite snacks, and I could even try some catnip. I figure even if other cats go in and out of it, Redford will see it is not a threat.

Does anyone know of any natural sedatives for cats? If I could get him to relax a bit, I might have better luck. He has been out there hunting and who knows what else. His levels of awareness are heightened, and he senses the slightest movement behind or around him and reacts within a split second. I have been very calm and slow moving and so far, so good.

Please continue to send your advice everyone, I so need it!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear that you've spotted him again. And he found a place to get fed, what a clever boy!

I agree with the advice you've had from other posters. If you can trap him and take him in now he'll be much better off. Do you still have the trap you caught the new tom in? If you're trying to catch one specific cat in an area where there are lots of them it makes it easier if you hand spring the trap door, rather than baiting the trap and letting the cat spring it.

What I mean is prop the trap door open with a wooden stick or a plastic bottle weighted down with water. Tie a long piece of rope to the prop or bottle. Wait until the cat you are after goes into the trap and then jerk the rope away so that the door shuts. 

You'll need to practice this a few times so that you know exactly how much force to pull the bottle with and how long the rope needs to be.

Good luck, I really hope you get him.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As for the natural sedatives, I do not know of any and would never use one either.  If you give him a sedative and you end up not catching him and he runs away, he could become immediate prey and also unable to defend himself.  Please do not use anything to sedate him.

Just start by trying to lure him into the crate and try the trick from Norachan. 

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are right about sedatives. i would never want to do anything to harm him. I was thinking of the kind of thing animals are given to calm then during car rides. Many years ago when I moved, one of my cats was freaking out being in the car and the vet gave him something to get through the long car trip.

The water bottle trip is a great idea. Yes, I still have the trap, I purchased it.

I just got back home from the site. It is raining this morning, and he was probably under the porch. I secured some more plastic sheets on the crate, waited to see if he would respond to my voice, but nothing. If the weather clears today I will go over again.

Once again, I need to practice patience. Busy work week coming up, and I wish I could just focus on Redford and get him home. I pray he stays put at this place for a while. I need time.

Thank you everyone, please keep us in your thoughts.

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does Radford allow you to touch him at all? Callie was the same way and what I ended up doing was to get him accustomed to getting fed by me. He would usually stop at an invisible line and wait until i was away from it before he would start to eat. I would feed him as usual, but only a few bites. I would then put some additional food in a bowl closer to me than the invisible line, but not too close. Once he begins to eat he will usually relax his guard a little and creep closer to the food. Eventually keep moving it closer until he approaches you closely. I did this with Callie...it took me a few years but he now comes to greet me in the mornings and enjoys getting his head scratched...but only when he is being fed, otherwise he still doesn't allow me to approach him.

One important point that I forgot to make...when I'm trying to get Callie to come over to me, its important not to look him directly in the eyes, otherwise he tends to get scared. I simply glance around, pretending that I don't really notice him and sooner or later he comes over and head butts me...letting me know he is ready for a meal. Food really does seem to be the most powerful motivator to feral cats. Once they associate you with food, then you have about the only chance to get them friendly...or at least tolerate your presence. When I finally got to pet Callie, he actually purred after a little while...probably his only pleasure purr in his feral life. He meows to me, but still hisses, even while getting petted and enjoying it. I guess he doesn't know the appropriate times when hissing isn't the right thing to do. I just overlook it and keep giving him attention. Since he disappears every year for a few months in the winter, I try to fatten him up during the summer as he gets skinny while away on his winter vacation.

Jim 

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've done the method @Norachan  recommended - - when we were trying to catch a female and young babies (too small for a regular live trap), we used a large carrier with the door propped lightly open, and fishing wire tied to it, threaded through the fence between us and the neighbor's yard where the feline family was. We worked for days getting them into it to eat (without wire of course) - - when we trapped, we fed as in the carrier, the mom and two of the  babies settled in to eat, we pulled the wire, my husband held the line taut while I ran over and latched the door. Luckily we could hold it with enough force and she wasn't totally panicked, so we were able to shut it, because that was the only problem in our plan was if mom had pushed hard and my husband hadn't been able to hold the door while I ran and shut it. But it worked - and we've talked to other people who've done the same process with success.

I'm SO happy you found Redford again!!!! It's definitely proof they can go much further than expected!!! I hope you have luck catching him - and socializing him! I know how hard it is emotionally to not know what's happened to your furry baby.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have never been able to touch Redford. Only once did he take food from my hand. Last night when I visited and offered chicken, he ate in front of me and was the closest he had ever eaten in my presence. I really do think he wants to come home, but we have this little obstacle right now, and if I could only get him to cooperate, we would be on our way home today.

Perhaps tonight, I will go back around dinner time, for him around 5:30-and see if he will take chicken from my hand. If not I will place it on the ground between us. I will keep doing that as long as I must.

I just need to keep creating/reminding him of positive associations. I even have his blanket with his scent on it, I will carry that with me tonight. :heart3:

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks @kittychick for your good wishes, and sharing your experience. My problem is Redford is over 6 miles from home, and I have limited time to be at the site. Fortunately, it is not a problem with the property owners with me just showing up morning and night. And next week I have a demanding work schedule. I feel it is important for me to stay closely connected with him, and I want to be present at least once a day so he gets used to the idea of me being around with tasty treats.

This is a challenge. I am in awe of this kitty, and I will find a way.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Redford is a lucky boy to have such a dedicated guardian and friend. I hope you can get him home soon

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Totally understand! We're lucky in that the kitties were next door - but the technique can be used as long as you have a place out of site to "cower." Yes - regular trap is FAR easier if you can't be there (and often even if you can't). It just sounded like you were thinking of trying a crate - so thought I'd share our experience.

Good luck - Redford is lucky!

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still trying to figure out logistics, problem is the neighbors have dogs. I will keep all suggestions in mind, thanks again!

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so. Inch for your kind comments. Appreciate you keeping us in your thoughts.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, my visit with Redford tonight at his current location was a success due to freshly cooked chicken Parmesan. It is one of his favorite things, and the aroma too tempting. I called to him under the back porch and opened the container so he could catch a whiff. About a minute later he appeared, bleary eyed from sleep, sniffing the air. I called to him and tossed a piece toward him. He got progressively closer as I fed him but stayed just out of arms reach. He also had half a can of seafood cat food. Oh, did he look satisfied! Only one cat hung around us. I find it is easier to feed him on the back patio rather than where the food station is, along a narrow alleyway. I put some treats and catnip in the crate, he kind of looked curious about it but did not go in. So, I feel better knowing he has had a decent meal, and is safe. One day at a time, thanks for reading this and bearing with me.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alex134,

I am so glad you found him. Just take your time and follow this excellent advice everyone has given you.

You finding him made my day, this is awesome. 

You'll get his confidence and you'll get him back to your house, I hope you consider taking him in. But we'll cross that path when we get to it. Just remember, since you have an existing cat please keep Redford quarantined until he is clear of everything.

You are awesome, so glad Redford has you in his life!!

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for,your kind words CalicosRSpecial,
I appreciate the support and advice everyone offers. Today I saw Redford after work. He was sitting out front of the property and I saw him as I drove up. I called to him and it took a few seconds for him to realize it was me. I fed him his favorite chicken Parmesan, and he almost took a piece from my hand. He hesitated a little, and I made the choice to put it on the ground between us. He came very close tonight as he was eating. He seemd a bit less nervous tonight.

I did have a bit of a setback. The woman who feeds the cats had told me it would be okay to set up the crate in the back under the patio. So I did on Saturday. I was hoping Redford would get used to seeing it and eventually i could feed him inside it. Today, I found the crate gone with a note taped to ar chair that said no shelters or traps were permitted in the area. Another tenant in the building voicing objections. It is strange as the person knows I am trying to get my cat. I was really upset and annoyed, but there is nothing I can do about it. I don't want to say anything to this person because I don't want him to do anything to the cats.

It is imperative that I get Redford out of there ASAP. This is so very difficult and challenging. I have to be very discrete as well. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by this tonight. I am usually good at solving problems, but this is a tough one.

And yes, I really want to bring Redford in and keep him as part of our indoor family. We have four, ages 3 to 19.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alex134,

You are very welcome. So glad to hear you will be bringing Redford inside.

I would  try to continue giving the chicken parm and try to build the trust. It is moving along quite well. At some point hopefully soon you can have a crate and put it in and hopefully Redford will go in.

It is a tough one as there is a time and visibility issue. Also if at all possible try to explain the situation. You are trying to recover your cat which is one less cat in their colony. Everyone wins. You may not want to explain to that guy but it may go to him through someone else. Not sure if he is worried that the cat might get hurt or what but I can't understand why someone would want to prevent a cat from finding a home. Especially someone that cares as much as you do. But you are smart and can surely assess teh situation correctly so use your best judgement. You'll get Redford back.

Good luck and thank you so much for caring so much about Redford, he is a lucky guy.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the encouragement. It seems to me that things are moving at snails pace. The big news for tonight is that Redford took NOT ONE- BUT TWO PIECES of chicken parmesan  from my hand! I was ecstatic. I think he is looking forward to me coming and feeding him in the evenings. The young girl who posted his picture on the lost pets site said that he seems calmer. Yet, after he was satisfied, he scooted back under the porch. 

I am still not certain he would enter a crate, and all the advice from people and agencies around here is to trap. 

I left an apologetic note for the guy and I know he received it sometime in the afternoon. I explained what I was trying to do,and hopefully, that will quell any tensions. 

I also saw the caretaker, a very nice woman, who said she is looking out for Redford and I should not worry. After this is all settled, I would like to help her with the feral population situation. I think she would like them to be relocated. But first, I must get Redford home and safe.