My semi feral cat has disappeared

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How's everything going @Alex134  ?

My wandering semi-feral came home again early this morning. Threw up a clump of feathers, ate a huge breakfast and has been snoring on the couch ever since.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi @Norachan,
Thanks for checking in. I have put out the trap, not triggered, to get the interloper used to seeing it and eating near it. He appears to be getting bolder and was in my back yard last night about 6 pm. He darted through the fence and disappeared when he saw the car approach. This is the first time I have actually seen him in daylight. I have some items out that have my big guys scent on them, but that does not seem to deter the interloper.
I will attempt the actual trapping on Monday night. The neutering appointment is all set for Tuesday morning. I hope it all works out. The weather has taken a turn for the better, sunny and very warm, so there seems to be more cat activity in the neighborhood.
I am worried that there have been no sightings of my guy for over a month. If he feels he is in danger, am I making matters worse if I go out looking and calling for him? Many people have said that he is probably being fed somewhere else and may have set up another home. I hope that is true. Others have said negative things and yesterday was a difficult day, I was trying very hard not to believe the Nay Sayers. I read all sorts of stories on line from people who have reported their ferals being gone for months, or even a year. I am trying very hard to stay positive.
I appreciate your support.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, and I meant to say I a, so happy to hear your big boy has come home. Sounds like he had quite an adventure.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you Alex.

Please don't give up on your boy. One of my cats has gone missing twice in the past 6 months. Once for 6 weeks and then once for 4. She was feral born but I've been taking care of her since she was little so she doesn't have the same feral smarts your boy will have. It sounds like your area is very cat friendly, I'm sure he's found someone else to feed him while the other tom is around.

Here is a picture of my wandering cats. Gin, on the right, who came home yesterday after his forest adventure. Sophie in the middle, who managed to survive on her own through a freezing Japanese winter. She's Gin's daughter, maybe that is where she gets her adventurous spirit from. Happy on the left, a feral kitten I found when she was very sick.

Does your boy have a name?

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Hi @Norachan,

Your group is gorgeous. They seem to really care for each other.

It is nearly 5 am and I just got back from searching for my boy again - Redford is his name. This photo was taken last summer. My big ginger kitty.

The interloper was eating inside the trap last evening. I placed the food in for the second night in a row. I also noticed he was in my neighbor's back yard about an hour later. He is really making himself at home. I know Redford would not have left if he did not feel he was in danger. Yet, this new Tom does not seem very big. Redford has dealt with worse situations, so it is strange to me that he left so abruptly. As far as  I know I was Redford's only caretaker, but one never knows. I live in a nice but dense residential neighborhood, hundreds of houses, many with large properties. I have been told by a volunteer organization that there are 22 registered caretakers in my postal code alone. Then there are the unofficial caretakers like me. I never knew about registering to care for ferals until very recently. I just learn through talking to neighbors who feeds the kitties. I hope you are right and that he is being cared for by someone else. Here is another photo taken last autumn.
Thank you for your words of support.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alex134,

Hang in there, your neighborhood is very cat friendly. I am guessing he is either hunting or getting food from somewhere else. My one feral was away for 6 weeks one time. A feral my neighbor takes care of was away for a year. And my area is not very cat friendly. Cats are incredibly resilient. They find food and water and they find safe places. Ferals are smart, they wouldn't have gotten this far if they weren't. 

Redford is adorable.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi @Norachan,

What a beautiful group. They seem to care a great deal about each other.

It is  almost 5 am and I just got back from searching for my boy - Redford is his name. Funny how people say cats are nocturnal, I saw not one out and about. 

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks CalicosRSpecial,

It is now coming up on six weeks for me, too. I don't know how I would handle a year! Today I had early meetings at work and it was so hard to concentrate and stay focused. This really does take an emotional toll.

I so appreciate your positive words, and examples of good outcomes. It means a great deal to me.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alex134,

I know. Especially when you bond with them. Having a feral colony and bonding with them and not knowing where they are at times etc is emotionally draining.

One in my colony went missing a few months ago. I thought a neighbor might be trapping and taking them to animal control again. Sure enough, there she was in animal control. In 10 days she would have been killed. I got her out after she didn't show up for breakfast and she is in the house now with the other former ferals. A 3 year old I have known since she was a kitten (mom showed up pregnant and had the kittens here). But we can't take them all in. So we worry about the ones that are still out there. But they are smart. I have ferals that have been around for 6+ years in a not so friendly feral area (people and coyotes) so they are smart and resourceful.

Just try to have faith. Given you are in a feral friendly area that is even more reason to be positive. All we can do is our best. They do appreciate what we do for them.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG, I can't believe it, I actually trapped the interloper! He was right on schedule, Appeared between 8:30 and 9 pm for his meal that I have been leaving out for the last five evenings.

He is big. And heavy. And angry. I have a sheet over the cage and he is in a nice comfortable shed overnight. No wonder my boy fled.

So he had a great meal of sardines and tuna. Tomorrow,he will be on his way to a calmer life.

Whew, what a day!

Thanks so much for your encouragement and support.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Alex134 Redford is GORGEOUS!!! I've been thinking of you often -- some days I wish I didn't care so much :( But in very happy news on our front - little Aspen showed, a little skinnier than last time we saw him, but here nonetheless!! So the "gang of five" is back together again!!!

Interestingly, one of the kitties, "Cody," has a mild case of Cerebellar Hypoplasia (his back end sways & he topples over occasionally, making him look like he's 3 sheets to the wind. We think it's bc of his disability --but the other 4 don't let him join in anything. They make him stay about 9-10 feet away when they eat, drink, play, beg for treats, etc. But ever since Aspen came back ---they let Cody join in everything!!!!! This evening Cody came around the corner of the house, and on either side was Crosby & Brady, 2 others from the group ---and they were so close they looked like horses prancing a parade 3 abreast. Even their tails were intertwined!!! So whatever happened during Aspen's "vacation" we're thrilled!!!

I'm so glad you got the interloper!!! Perhaps once his testosterone disappears & he stops giving out "stay a mile away!!!", Redford will return. And if not, I so believe --since Redford is absolutely stunning and sounds like he's sweet, I do honestly believe it's very likely someone took him in. He'd certainly catch my eye if he were in my yard!!!

Good luck with the interloper -I forget if you're going to even take a stab at socializing him? Keep us posted!!!!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's wonderful news @Alex134  Good job with catching him so quickly.

Redford is so handsome. Very distinctive looking with that long orange fur and the white tip to his tail. Have you made Lost Cat posters with his photo on? The last time Sophie went missing she turned up about three miles from here. She was living under the deck of a lady who feeds her neighborhood strays. I wonder if Redford has strayed out of your neighborhood? It might be worth putting some posters up further afield, just in case.

Glad to hear your wanderer has returned too @kittychick  How long was Aspen gone for?

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@kittychick,

What wonderful news! Kitty home, plus big changes on the home front.
Yes, Redford is my gorgeous boy. He really did well living here, mellowed out somewhat, put on weight after being neutered, enjoyed lounging in the sun. I was socializing him, and once got him to take food from my hand. He never let me pet him or pick him up. If I could have, he would have come inside. I was hoping this spring to continue to take steps in socialization, when all heck broke loose.

I hope I do have a chance to continue working with Redford. And I also hope someone is caring for. Him. I just want him to be safe and happy.

I am patient, and continue taking steps to locate him. Just returned from the vet, will have more news later today.

Thanks for your thoughts and support.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, @Norachan,

I have posters all around, flyers in mailboxes. Time to extend the search further. This neighborhood is so dense, he could be anywhere. Yesterday I drove around and tried to estimate two mile radius from home. It is a lot of territory, with residences, parks, homes with huge plots of land.

Interloper was brought in to vet this morning. News to come once he has been evaluated.

Thanks again for your kind words and advice.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alex134,

Congrats on getting the interloper. Very well done. I think this is really going to help.

After he heals please release him where you caught him. I know you want him to move on and hopefully he will and Redford will be back when the interloper is no longer filled with testosterone. 

Great job and I hope to hear Redford is back soon.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello All,
@Norachan, @kittychick, @CLicosRGreat,

You have all been so wonderful to give your advice and support. I wanted to post an update as soon as I got home. I have returned with the interloper. He is still in the trap, resting. I set up a crate with mat, litter box and water but he did not want to get Into it. He was watching me very closely, very wary. Of course,Moho wouldn't be? I will just let him be for now, and in a couple of hours I will try giving him a little food. The vet says he is very feral. Hard to handle and they had to call in the experienced technicians. His blood tests were good, and negative for FIV. He received a rabies vaccine. She said he is probably 3 or 4 years old! That surprised me, as I assumed he was younger. I have no idea where he could have come from. I wonder if he has roamed away from a colony? He guy also has scratches on his face. For an older cat and being so healthy, I am assuming someone is caring for him and possibly others.

Any thoughts?

That is everything for now. I am exhausted, but happy that this has been accomplished. Hope you and your kitties are all well.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@CalicosRSpecial,

Sorry I got that wrong in the last post. Yes, I am very tired!

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just found a wonderful website recommend by a neighbor. It is called NextDoor. You can join by plugging in your address and zip code and it will take you to your neighborhood group, plus any groups nearby. I was able to post information about Redford for my neighborhood and others close by, a total reach of 481 people. 

Interloper is eating and anxious to get out of his confines. I need to hold him for the rest of the day, but tonight is the target release. I pray he moves on and clears the territory for Redford's return. 

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for sharing that - I'm going to have to look that up! That would be wonderful if I can end up connecting with more people doing colony outreach work - - especially when we're looking for one of ours that's gone missing. Again - thanks a ton!

As far as your interloper - since he was a big ol' unneutered male - - - he very likely fought his way to the top of the food chain anywhere he goes. And unneutered males often wander quite far when "looking for love." :) So it is possible he technically doesn't have his own colony. Our neighborhood has always had one or two large males that go from colony to colony - - not settling until they're neutered (then they've generally settled down). Hopefully your Redford will come back even if this guy stays, since hopefully once the testosterone level lowers, he won't want to beat the crap out of (or at least scare the bejeeses out of) Redford like I'm sure he did before.

Regardless - so glad you got the interloper fixed! And fingers crossed that the calmer, "less manly" atmosphere brings Redford back, but if not -  I'm sure he's found someone who'll take care of him. He's so gorgeous - not like he won't be noticed! 

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@kittychick  

I appreciate your insights. I have had cats all my life, and I still have so much to learn. Never had to deal with outdoor cats in this way. Most have been strays that I have either fed, or just picked up and took indoors. 

There has been, for at least three years, another unneutered brown male cat that has a very expansive territory. He comes on my property to cross into the residential area south of my own house. Everyone in the neighborhood knows him and thinks he is a bully. I believe the interloper and the bully have had some close encounters, because both of their cheeks are scratched up. The brown cat and Redford seemed to have an understanding of sorts. They have known each other for years. The brown cat showed up one night when I was testing out the trap. He ate the food leading to it, but did not go in. He is shrewd, and I would be the neighborhood hero if I could trap him. But is seems unlikely. But this new guy, the interloper, wow, he is the toughest cat I have ever dealt with. 

If I had any say in the matter, I would prefer that the interloper move on. I wish him well, but I do not want to encourage him to hang around. If he has a drastic change in personality and can live in harmony with the returning Redford, that is another matter. 

Time will tell, meanwhile, I will continue my search. If I only knew Redford was okay, it is the not knowing that is rough.

I hope you find the Next Door website useful.