My S/O Had A Stroke And Is In the Hospital Again

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its good to hear that Randall is doing better. I'll be keeping him in my prayers. I'll be also praying for you two in your quest to quit smoking.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Goodness! I've missed all this, too. Never too late for good wishes, though. I hope Randall is released today, and am sending many that his problem is isolated quickly, and not difficult to deal with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's home!

He got back home last night, and seems to be doing well so far - except for being really tired. But I reckon that's normal, considering all he's been through the past few weeks. He's on a whole bunch of medication now for his heart, blood pressure, anxiety, etc. I just hope the stuff helps!

It's good to have him back home!

Originally Posted by strange_wings

Simply don't buy those foods. If he's anything my DH he's not going to make the effort to go get it himself, so keeping it out of the house will help. Start reading labels on everything. And I know I've mentioned the DASH diet before, see if your library has a book for this - it focuses on a low sodium diet and eating more natural foods.
That's exactly what I intend on doing from now on - not buy the stuff. I sure can't stop him from eating the junk while he's at work, but I can prevent some of it if it isn't in the house. I'm gonna also contact my "coherts" at his workplace, and have them keep an eye on him, too.
And I've already started using the DASH diet.

Once you get out of the habit of eating really salty and really sweet foods you won't crave or even like them very much.
I'm not so sure that neither one of us will ever quit craving some of that "junk" food (especially chocolate!
) but maybe we can learn to go without. I've been replacing most of the sweets I like with an apple or bowl of cereal lately. That way I can control my craving for sweets in a much healthier way. Now I gotta work on Randall.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm SO glad to hear he's home!

As to the salty/sweet stuff..... we've dramatically improved our diets over the last couple of years. We still "treat" ourselves to "junk" occassionally, but it's funny. The first couple of months are hard. But we found that if you gradually transition rather than just totally deny yourself, it seems to go easier. And it is AMAZING how salty we find just about EVERYTHING now. And I used to ADD salt to just about everything.

You know you've made the change when you want something sweet and a pear sounds GREAT.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

You know you've made the change when you want something sweet and a pear sounds GREAT.
Heck, I could eat a pear or any other fruit for that matter, ANYTIME!
I just LOVE fruit!
I decided that I'm gonna substitute the "junk" with fruit pies from now on. Yummy!

Giving up salt doesn't really bother me, b/c I've never been a big salt eater, anyway (except when it comes to pickles!
). I've already noticed just how much salt is in pre-packaged foods in the few weeks since I've tried cooking healthier. The stuff just seems to be corroded with salt!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems like some people have more than their share of issues - and, boy, you guys are going through a lot. I hope that you are successful getting the medical advice that you need for good health.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

...And it is AMAZING how salty we find just about EVERYTHING now. And I used to ADD salt to just about everything.
It can be done! I'm much better about salt than I used to be, and I've done the same trick with sugar, too. Most things are 'way too sweet for me now. Gradual changes really will get you there!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I just noticed KK hasn't posted since the 5th - how are you and Randall doing?
I am sooooo sorry that I haven't posted an update!
I really haven't been online too much recently, and it's been rather hectic around here lately. I realized I had better post an update when I popped in to renew my TCS subscription. I apologize, y'all!

Regarding Randall, he's hanging in there so far, although he has been really tired and hasn't had much energy. He hasn't gone back to work yet, but plans on doing so after he sees his doctor April 3rd. I personally think he should quit working altogether and apply for his VA benefits, but he wants to continue working for one more year. I just hope he can handle it: I kinda have my doubts.

Thanks again y'all for your kind words & support. I really appreciate it!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I really appreciate the offer & your concern, Mike, but we're quite a ways from Dallas - closer to Houston. Randall's in one of the hospitals in the Woodlands.

Thanks so much for offering, though.
My sister lives in the Woodlands, if you need anything let me know and I will see if she can get it for you.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

My sister lives in the Woodlands, if you need anything let me know and I will see if she can get it for you.
I really appreciate the offer, but Randall's back home now. Thanks for offering though!

Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Nice to see you on here again
Thanks!
I've missed y'all, too.