My S/O Had A Stroke And Is In the Hospital Again

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Typical guy - ... glad you overrode his protests!

Sometimes dudes just don't have any common sense!

Lots of healing vibes and ((((hugs)))) for you. Make sure you're getting rest and taking care of yourself, too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittiesHasMe

Take care of yourself. Does your son live close enough to help out?
My son lives "back home" in Wisconsin, so there's really not much that he could do to help out.

I didn't get a chance to go to the hospital today b/c I couldn't find a ride.
Randall's in better spirits today and seems to be doing well. He thinks he'll be able to come home tomorrow.
They still haven't determined what caused the stroke, but they're thinking it was a clot in the brain: they pretty much ruled out the heart area. I sounds as if they're gonna put him on a bunch of drugs for now, including Xanaxx for anxiety, and Plavax for the clotting. He can't do the aspirin therapy b/c of his intestinal issues: he'll probably end up having to have part of his colon removed that's "bad" in time, due to the damage done from all those years of him taking aspirins. He's kinda stuck between a rock & a hard place with that one. I reckon he'll have to go with the lesser of two evils.

I hope he gets to come home tomorrow!
I miss him: the house seems so empty - even with the companionship of ten cats.

Thanks again everyone for all your well-wishes!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

Omg that's terrible! I hope he recovers quickly and has no lasting damage, and he is able to get some rest. Pesky nurses.
Sending you vibes!

I'm glad you were there and you thought so quickly to take him in. I get Sporadic Hemiplegic Migraines, which simulate a stroke, and the first time it happened was when I was about 7 months pregnant and the person that answered the late night call to my OB told me that it was a stroke and to go to the ER immediately, and I ignored her. Luckily it was NOT a stroke, but I didn't know what it was and I still ignored her. My doctor actually chastised me for calling him about it in the middle of the night. Can you believe that?? He didn't even ask to see me or anything, just told me to suck on a piece of candy. HUH??
I sure hope you found another doctor!
Bless your heart!
I'm glad you ended up being all right!

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm no doctor...but I thought strokes were mainly small clots??
ANNNyway....I hope he gets to come home tomorrow! Got our fingers and paws crossed!

Still sending lots of

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness I'm sorry to hear that. Many vibes and prayers that your SO makes a full recovery Its good that the stroke is a minor one, thank God you acted quickly!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Wow! Typical guy - ... glad you overrode his protests!

Sometimes dudes just don't have any common sense!

Tell me about it!
It was the same way a few weeks back when he was bleeding rectally. He didn't say anything about it till the next day: he finally mentioned it when he got to the point where he was starting to pass out from the loss of blood.

And I thought I was stubborn!

Well, at least something good came out of all of this: I think he's finally realized that all my harping on him over his bad eating habits & him eating aspirins like candy was done out of concern - and NOT b/c I feel like B
ing!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lil maggie

I'm no doctor...but I thought strokes were mainly small clots??
I'm no doctor either, but I think that's usually what causes them. I think they can be stress related also.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

]I'm no doctor either, but I think that's usually what causes them. I think they can be stress related also.
There's several causes:

Small arteries in the brain becoming narrowed.
Hardening of arteries to the brain.
Embolism - which is what a clot traveling to the brain causes.
Hemorrhage and aneurysms which happen when there's a fragile vessel in the brain or trauma.

Other factors play into all of these: High blood pressure, high cholesterol, smoking, and other diseases. History of migraines and TIA's greatly increase one's risk. (lovely news to all us migraine suffers.
)

I'm not entirely sure whether very low blood pressure causing hypoperfusion (not enough blood in the brain) can put one at greater risks for strokes, too. That's probably something I should look up.

that he gets to come home tomorrow!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can say is ohhh my, I am so sorry! Hope he gets better and tell him to stop ignoring symptoms!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw Tiff, I don't visit the CL enough!!!!!!!!!! I've missed all of this and I am SO sorry to hear!
Thank goodness it happened at home is right. What is wrong with these men that for just about everything they "just need to lie down for a few" and everything will be all right?

that he'll recover completely, that the new course of meds will do its work, that he gets to come home tomorrow - and that he stops ignoring "serious illness" symptoms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

There's several causes:

Small arteries in the brain becoming narrowed.
Hardening of arteries to the brain.
Embolism - which is what a clot traveling to the brain causes.
Hemorrhage and aneurysms which happen when there's a fragile vessel in the brain or trauma.

Other factors play into all of these: High blood pressure, high cholesterol, smoking, and other diseases. History of migraines and TIA's greatly increase one's risk. (lovely news to all us migraine suffers.
)

I'm not entirely sure whether very low blood pressure causing hypoperfusion (not enough blood in the brain) can put one at greater risks for strokes, too. That's probably something I should look up.

that he gets to come home tomorrow!
You sure are knowledgeable about a lot of things, StrangeWings!
I'm impressed!
You are definitely an asset to TCS!

Most of the parts that I highlighted in bold relate to Randall: it's no wonder he had a stroke.
I'll probably be next, b/c most of those problems relate to me also.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Aw Tiff, I don't visit the CL enough!!!!!!!!!! I've missed all of this and I am SO sorry to hear!
Thank goodness it happened at home is right. What is wrong with these men that for just about everything they "just need to lie down for a few" and everything will be all right?

that he'll recover completely, that the new course of meds will do its work, that he gets to come home tomorrow - and that he stops ignoring "serious illness" symptoms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie
That's okay, Laurie.
I don't visit the PL enough myself, and miss a lot of what's going on there.

I THINK he's learned his lesson, but I'm not gonna hold my breathe. After all, he IS a man!

Sorry guys! But you know it's true!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

You sure are knowledgeable about a lot of things, StrangeWings!
I'm impressed!
You are definitely an asset to TCS!

Most of the parts that I highlighted in bold relate to Randall: it's no wonder he had a stroke.
I'll probably be next, b/c most of those problems relate to me also.
My brain is good at adsorbing non-useful information. But heck, if anyone ever needs a player for a trivia game I'm your person!

And gosh, lots of bad factors.
If you try, you can improve your health, at least some. But as you've seen the person has to want to try. I hope that you and Randall can work at this together - it might be easier that way for the two of you!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

My brain is good at adsorbing non-useful information. But heck, if anyone ever needs a player for a trivia game I'm your person!
I personally don't consider all your advice "non-useful". You've helped me out a lot on more than one occasion.

And gosh, lots of bad factors.
If you try, you can improve your health, at least some. But as you've seen the person has to want to try. I hope that you and Randall can work at this together - it might be easier that way for the two of you!
We're both gonna make some major changes in our lifestyle. I'm okay as far as nutrition is concerned for the most part (with the exception of loving pickles and getting too much salt intake from them - but I've cut way back on them), but Randall definitely lacks control in that area. He eats more junk food than anyone I've ever seen, and will consume an entire pack of saltine crackers in one sitting.
I've warned him time after time that he's gonna kill himself some day with his rotten eating habits, but he's pig-headed.
But I think he's finally learned his lesson now.

Anyway, we've made a pact, and the very first thing we're gonna do is give up smoking. I can't say that it'll be easy for me, but I'm not ready to kick the bucket just yet....

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Simply don't buy those foods. If he's anything my DH he's not going to make the effort to go get it himself, so keeping it out of the house will help. Start reading labels on everything. And I know I've mentioned the DASH diet before, see if your library has a book for this - it focuses on a low sodium diet and eating more natural foods.

Once you get out of the habit of eating really salty and really sweet foods you won't crave or even like them very much.

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you are going through this, I hope your SO gets better soon

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I def. don't visit the cl often enough...sending mega vibes for you both!