My Roommate hit my cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

carriec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you should tell this girl yourself in no uncertain terms to leave your cat alone! When you are not home leave Missy in your room for her own protection but there is no reason the poor cat should be confined to one room at all times. If the rest of the roomates will back you ask the kids father to leave. Otherwise, start looking for a new place yourself. Good luck[emoji]128570[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catalina miller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everyone BIG update on Missy and the brats behavior! 

So a month ago i got a dog her name is Aaliyah and she is a rescue who had been abused (and taught to dog fight. i know its horrible and had no training what so ever. I found her and took her in my home I've trained her and socialized her. But the BEST part is she and Missy and Inseperable!!! Aaliyah is the sweetest thing to those she likes and man she is protective of me, my boyfriend and Missy. So daphne the brat child came over and saw i had a dog and started trying to play with her and i didn't trust her so i told her to leave my dog alone or she'll bite her. she left for a minute. i wanted to test something (some of you are gonna not like me and think this is mean but i havent had a problem since). so I took aaliyah into the room and i remembered she knows the command "mean face" she wont bite but man she snarls a storm. So i let Missy out into the living room where the brat daughter was and i then let aaliyah out as well. the cat and the pup played for a while the daphne started harassing my cat. i yelled Aaliyah mean face and pointed at the brat daughter daphne. Aaliyah looked at me and then went to daphne and snarled at her.  daphne got very scared and backed off she went to her room. 

two hours later she came back out and she started harassing the cat. i was in the bathroom. but Aaliyah ran between her and Missy, and she snarled and barked at her. 

Ever since then Daphne that brat girl has left my cat alone and the puppy does play nice with daphne but always protects Missy from her. 

So peace in the home at last

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
and if this kid gets hurt, you may go to jail. this probably was not the best solution to your problem because you can't know that the dog won't ever attack her for real...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catalina miller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was trained at the shelter along with therapy to relax around people and dogs. she plays fetch with daphne and cuddles with her. all she does is keep her away from the cat. shes never bitten anyone since the rescue shelter had her. she never wanted to be mean thats why she was abused by her previous owner. she refused to attack other dogs.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand you wanting to get even or get back at the brat and her dad, but it's better to get even in a lawful way, iow report him for animal cruelty and kick him out of the house.  What you are doing right now is kinda like playing with matches.  You might get burned.  

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
While I can't say that was the best solution it seems to have been effective. The big thing to realize here is that a dog from a situation like that takes an incredible amount of work, no matter how much training she had before you got her. You absolutely need to keep up her positive behaviors by rewarding them with something she loves (think what she gets most excited for, whether it be playtime or belly rubs or treats or whatever and use that) and consult a professional NON-TRADITIONAL (anything about dominance or using prong/choke/shock collars should be a red flag) trainer if you have any problems whatsoever, and I would not trust her alone with a kid, not matter how much you trust her. Even a dog who has never shown the slightest sign of aggression can hurt a kid who accidentally pulls their tail or fur too hard or something like that. Always supervise them, just to be safe, and make sure the kid knows not only how to nicely interact with a dog but also knows the early warning signs of a stressed or uncomfortable dog (lip licking, drooling, pacing, avoiding contact, etc) so if the dog does start to become uncomfortable she knows to leave her alone so it doesn't escalate to fear agression.

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I can't say that was the best solution it seems to have been effective. The big thing to realize here is that a dog from a situation like that takes an incredible amount of work, no matter how much training she had before you got her. You absolutely need to keep up her positive behaviors by rewarding them with something she loves (think what she gets most excited for, whether it be playtime or belly rubs or treats or whatever and use that) and consult a professional NON-TRADITIONAL (anything about dominance or using prong/choke/shock collars should be a red flag) trainer if you have any problems whatsoever, and I would not trust her alone with a kid, not matter how much you trust her. Even a dog who has never shown the slightest sign of aggression can hurt a kid who accidentally pulls their tail or fur too hard or something like that. Always supervise them, just to be safe, and make sure the kid knows not only how to nicely interact with a dog but also knows the early warning signs of a stressed or uncomfortable dog (lip licking, drooling, pacing, avoiding contact, etc) so if the dog does start to become uncomfortable she knows to leave her alone so it doesn't escalate to fear agression.
Even then I wouldn't let the brat interact with the dog without supervision.  This is not a trustworthy child, nor is her father trustworthy.  I wouldn't put it past him to engineer an "attack" and then sue you.

Many years ago I went to a potluck 4th of July picnic at the home of a friend.  When I got out of the car, carrying a casserole and toting a handbag with a shoulder strap, a yappy little dog came up and attacked me!  I don't mean that it tried to jump up and get at the casserole, or that it barked and snarled, I mean attacked.  I had to use my handbag to fend it off.  Later that afternoon the owner came over and told me that her kids had told her that their dog had barked at me.  I said, "It didn't just bark at me, it attacked me.  Look around this neighborhood, at all the toys in the yards.  This neighborhood is full of small children who could be seriously injured, and you're allowing a vicious dog out of your house unsupervised.  I want you to know that, if that dog ever attacks a child in this neighborhood, I will hear about it, and I will be happy to testify at your trial."  I guess she payed attention, because I never got a call from my friend about the dog attacking a child.

You have a dog who is known to have been abused by a jerk who was training it for dog fights!  If anything happens to Daphne because of Aaliyah, or because someone wanted it to look like Aaliyah attacked Daphne, the authorities will confiscate Aaliyah and put her down.  And then they'd prosecute you for having a vicious dog and not controlling it.  I don't care how much you trust Aaliyah, she can't know the danger she would be in if she were to actually, physically protect herself.  It's up to you, as her forever human, to protect her.

Margret

carriec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree it is not wise to use the dog to intimidate the child but it seems to have worked. Be careful to never leave the dog alone with the girl as you never know what might happen. I still think moving is the best option. Good luck!!

sprin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think that could be a problem, because the dog probably understands that you want her to snarl and scare the child. You don't know how far that protectiveness can go now that you've shown the dog that you enjoy seeing this child scared. The dog is already acting aggressively by choose, doing it without your command. Training is a continuous process of showing that dog that aggressive behavior isn't tolerated. It isn't something you can just take for granted. As the child tests the dog more, it might escalade it's behavior. The child isn't stupid, if she thinks the dog is all bark no bite she's going to test that until she reaches the dog's breaking point. The dog has been abused before, you don't know what kind of fear response she might have to being cornered by the child. You've never seen her stressed out like that, the shelter has never tested out being truly aggressive with the dog. The shelter didn't expect to be placing the dog in a home where a child or the father might abuse her. She already has a history of getting dogs mad/scared enough to bite her. Plus you already said your roommate hit your cat, imagine what he will do if they're alone and the dog growls at his daughter. If he'll hit a cat, he'll hit a dog.

Imagine having animal control take your dog away because they're reporting this dog attack on a child. Imagine the child lying and saying the dog bit her even if it didn't. Even the appearance of a dog being violent with a child, especially a "bully" breed with a history of abuse, is going to be serious. You need to protect your pets, it isn't their job to protect themselves. You need to keep them in your room while she's over at the house. At the never least never leave them with her when you aren't there actively watching.

Last edited:

velvet lady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am brand-new to this site, and Joined, because of this conversation. 

My son's first kittens were 4.5 months to his almost 9. They taught him Very gently, "If you do something that doesn't feel nice, I have these pointy things on my hands"  they were old enough to escape unwanted attention, but young enough to still be Very playful and forgiving. They NEVER scratched him, they would just let him feel that they had pointy bits as a way to say no-no, and he learned so quick, and without bloodshed. Sadly, when I had to urgently leave because the relationship became abusive, he claimed the cats. For Months he cried at bedtime "Mimoo! Mimoo! No Mimoo!" For our tortie Lady Nimue, because she had slept with him and comforted him from the night we got her, until the night we ran. 

When my son was not quite 4 we found a box on our front stoop, filled with 9 kittens 4 of which were 3ish weeks old, the other 5 were a little bit older closer to 5 weeks. We had a nursing female, so she just hopped in the box, and suddenly we became foster parents. One of the tiniest of these Underfoot's  decided that he had already found his human, he didn't need some stranger to adopt him and would magic himself away every time a new  "prospective family" showed up.  That human, was my son. That tiny ball of fur and intelligence and courage and love without boundaries became known as Hobbes.

I could tell you about the first time he saved my son's life, when he woke me in the middle of the night, because my son couldn't breathe. Or when he cornered a cop who had gone into my son's room, when the building was broken into, (Scared the cop stiff!) because he was a stranger that didn't belong there in his eyes. (The same cop showed up with a slab of salmon the next day to reward this brave soul for protecting his "Owner" better than any dog, and they made friends.) But you all know the kind of love these souls can give.

When my son was 14, there were a bunch of kids in the house, and Hobbes was making the rounds, saying hello to everyone he knew, introducing himself to those he didn't, and one of those things you dread to think about happened. Some kid who was a friend of a friend of someone made a truly stupid mistake. He hit Hobbes. (Hard enough to send him off the other side of the King size futon I learned later, being legally blind and couldn't see what happened.) And someone raised their voice "Dude!" And the kid couldn't do anything but add to it. "It's just a stupid cat!' The next thing anyone knew, My sweet tempered, 105 lbs. son had this kid and was standing on the front landing, Dangling Him, by his throat, over the stairs that led down to the first floor. A voice came from my son, that I pray I will never experience again, quiet, calm, and cold as a casket. "That's my Brother you just attacked. How do you like someone attacking you? Do YOU like living in fear?" Thank God my foster son managed to pick up Hobbes and brought him out half a second behind me, because there would have been no way I could have stopped him if he decided to toss the kid over the rail. There was the distinct sound of a bladder emptying, and Mikey repeating over and over, "Dev, Hobbes is right here, he's fine, just put the dick head down and come back inside." I am trying to coax him, "Just let him leave. Hobbes is fine."  All Dev could say was "Why? Don't we put down rabid animals?". And I was trying to give him an emotionally sound reason to Not cripple this kid, when Hobbes squirmed out of Mikey's arms, and onto his favorite place to hitch a ride. Dev's shoulders. And Dev looked over the rail, and back at the kid and said."Ironic isn't it, he has more compassion for you than you had for him?... If you EVER touch another living being the way you touched my brother, I Will break you. Stupid Animal." (The girls took it into their Own heads to return his back pack. From the second story window. something shattered inside. I was told it was a bottle. I didn't ask of what.) 

I had long before this said that I had one son, with two hearts, there just wasn't enough physical being in either one to contain everything. So I was given this Beautiful soul to complete him. After that day, I wasn't the only one   

Now while I don't condone teaching a Child this harshly, I do believe in the lesson, "If you do something to me that feels bad, I have these pointy things that can return that favor." Stop clipping her claws, and this child will Quickly learn right from wrong. Everyone, including and especially the Underfoots, has the Right to defend themselves. And if she can't get her point across (rather literally) with a slap on the hand, she may end up with no choice but to use her teeth. A much more dangerous option for everyone involved.  And you know, She has no option to find another apartment, and the prick that hit her, Does.  

jazzyp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Everyone BIG update on Missy and the brats behavior! 

So a month ago i got a dog her name is Aaliyah and she is a rescue who had been abused (and taught to dog fight. i know its horrible and had no training what so ever. I found her and took her in my home I've trained her and socialized her. But the BEST part is she and Missy and Inseperable!!! Aaliyah is the sweetest thing to those she likes and man she is protective of me, my boyfriend and Missy. So daphne the brat child came over and saw i had a dog and started trying to play with her and i didn't trust her so i told her to leave my dog alone or she'll bite her. she left for a minute. i wanted to test something (some of you are gonna not like me and think this is mean but i havent had a problem since). so I took aaliyah into the room and i remembered she knows the command "mean face" she wont bite but man she snarls a storm. So i let Missy out into the living room where the brat daughter was and i then let aaliyah out as well. the cat and the pup played for a while the daphne started harassing my cat. i yelled Aaliyah mean face and pointed at the brat daughter daphne. Aaliyah looked at me and then went to daphne and snarled at her.  daphne got very scared and backed off she went to her room. 

two hours later she came back out and she started harassing the cat. i was in the bathroom. but Aaliyah ran between her and Missy, and she snarled and barked at her. 

Ever since then Daphne that brat girl has left my cat alone and the puppy does play nice with daphne but always protects Missy from her. 

So peace in the home at last
You are playing with fire.  Even if Aaliyah would never bite (a big "if," given that almost any dog will bite if it is hurt or sufficiently provoked), you are training her to behave in a threatening way.  That might backfire on you one day, either with Daphne or some other child.  Never mind the fact that you are teaching this already troubled girl to fear dogs.  If things escalate between Daphne and Aaliyah, you could end up in legal trouble, and Aaliyah could end up being put down as a vicious dog.  All it takes is one bite.  Things may seem well now, but what happens if one day Daphne tries again to bother the cat, Aaliyah protects her, and Daphne, instead of retreating, slaps the dog?  What if her father does?  You adopted this sweet dog to rescue her, not to make her Missy's bodyguard, or to solve your roommate problem.

Now that I have probably made it seem that I am not sympathetic to your situation, let me tell you, I absolutely AM.  I don't really know how I would react if I saw someone hit one of my pets, but I'm fairly sure the person who did the hitting would find it highly unpleasant.  The problem here is not really Daphne, it's her father.  I have loved animals all my life, and when I was a kid (very hyperactive and a little bit pushy), I had no idea how to interact with cats.  I petted them when they wanted to be left alone, and chased them when they tried to avoid me.  I have a small scar on my nose from my grandmother's cat's claws to prove it.  My parents, who were there, did not get angry with my grandmother or her cat.  They bandaged my nose, wiped my tears, and then told me that the cat had let me know it didn't fancy a cuddle, and next time I needed to pay attention and respect the cat's desire to be left alone.

Daphne may be an annoying brat, but the one who is really a danger to your pets is her father.  If he hit an animal once, he may do it again, or worse.  I would treat this as a household problem, and have a long sit-down with your other roommates to figure out how it should be dealt with.  My personal feeling is that the roommate should go, or you should.  Since the others in your house are YOUR boyfriend, HIS brother and HIS brother's girlfriend, I suspect they will side with you.  Also, as a side note, I wouldn't trust this man around a baby, either, to be honest.  

I don't know the circumstances of your lease, but it matters.  If all of you are listed, perhaps the four of you can get together with the landlord and request that he be asked to leave when it renews.  If he's not on it, he has no more business living there than a stranger.  I do hope that he or she is aware of your pets and approves, because you will need landlord cooperation to get rid of this guy.  In the meantime, I would keep the pets in your *locked* room anytime that man is alone in the apartment with them.  I have obviously never met him, and I still don't trust him at all.

imaginewizard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think the move to get your dog to scare the child was in the short term effective and a nice move BUT I would reiterate the concerns above to not leave her alone with the child, to avoid the scenario where she might attack someone. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You are playing with fire.  Even if Aaliyah would never bite (a big "if," given that almost any dog will bite if it is hurt or sufficiently provoked), you are training her to behave in a threatening way.  That might backfire on you one day, either with Daphne or some other child.  Never mind the fact that you are teaching this already troubled girl to fear dogs.  If things escalate between Daphne and Aaliyah, you could end up in legal trouble, and Aaliyah could end up being put down as a vicious dog.  All it takes is one bite.  Things may seem well now, but what happens if one day Daphne tries again to bother the cat, Aaliyah protects her, and Daphne, instead of retreating, slaps the dog?  What if her father does?  You adopted this sweet dog to rescue her, not to make her Missy's bodyguard, or to solve your roommate problem.

Now that I have probably made it seem that I am not sympathetic to your situation, let me tell you, I absolutely AM.  I don't really know how I would react if I saw someone hit one of my pets, but I'm fairly sure the person who did the hitting would find it highly unpleasant.  The problem here is not really Daphne, it's her father.  I have loved animals all my life, and when I was a kid (very hyperactive and a little bit pushy), I had no idea how to interact with cats.  I petted them when they wanted to be left alone, and chased them when they tried to avoid me.  I have a small scar on my nose from my grandmother's cat's claws to prove it.  My parents, who were there, did not get angry with my grandmother or her cat.  They bandaged my nose, wiped my tears, and then told me that the cat had let me know it didn't fancy a cuddle, and next time I needed to pay attention and respect the cat's desire to be left alone.

Daphne may be an annoying brat, but the one who is really a danger to your pets is her father.  If he hit an animal once, he may do it again, or worse.  I would treat this as a household problem, and have a long sit-down with your other roommates to figure out how it should be dealt with.  My personal feeling is that the roommate should go, or you should.  Since the others in your house are YOUR boyfriend, HIS brother and HIS brother's girlfriend, I suspect they will side with you.  Also, as a side note, I wouldn't trust this man around a baby, either, to be honest.  

I don't know the circumstances of your lease, but it matters.  If all of you are listed, perhaps the four of you can get together with the landlord and request that he be asked to leave when it renews.  If he's not on it, he has no more business living there than a stranger.  I do hope that he or she is aware of your pets and approves, because you will need landlord cooperation to get rid of this guy.  In the meantime, I would keep the pets in your *locked* room anytime that man is alone in the apartment with them.  I have obviously never met him, and I still don't trust him at all.
I agree with this- especially about playing with fire. Please do not leave the child alone with the dog. it sounds like she was not taught to respect animals and it could end badly- for everyone. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just pointing out that this thread was started almost a year ago; so the original poster might not respond.

BUT it's a good discussion to add to because this is not the first (so probably not the last) time we've seen this sort of situation come up. 
  I hope the situation has been resolved for this OP and we can help anyone else who finds themselves in this awful situation or one like it! 

chrissy4307

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really hate to say it, but if he beats your animal and not his kid (who is old enough to get smacked) maybe you should. Make it very obvious your perimeters and if she goes into your room or disobeys you with your animal. Smack her. It's not against the law, but hitting a cat like that is. Animals don't understand. People do. If her dad throws a bitch fit, reiterate what  you told him. Be very specific and direct. Children need disciplining. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really hate to say it, but if he beats your animal and not his kid (who is old enough to get smacked) maybe you should. Make it very obvious your perimeters and if she goes into your room or disobeys you with your animal. Smack her. It's not against the law, but hitting a cat like that is. Animals don't understand. People do. If her dad throws a bitch fit, reiterate what  you told him. Be very specific and direct. Children need disciplining. 
This thread is over a year old so the OP has most likely worked something out. And I could certainly argue about the morality of assaulting any living being. But without getting into that, yes, it IS illegal to hit someone else's kid without their permission. . .that's very bad advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.