My Ragdoll has gastric problems!!!

Ragdoll_kitten_gastric

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male spade Ragdoll cat is 7 months old today (weighs 8 lbs). He has had digestive problems since I got him at 3 + months. He has suffered multiple bouts of diarrhea and the best he can do is a liquidity formed stool. Additionally, he also has multiple gaseous farts which smell so bad! He is ravenously hungry all the time! When I eat I have to put him in another room. He gets very vocal before his mealtime. I feed him 4 times a day - at 5 hr intervals. Within 1 hour prior to his feeding he goes into a very vocal session. Have been to the Vet multiple times for stool tests including a PCR test. Have tried various foods (including rabbit and duck) for food allergies. I am not one to give up easily; however, I am losing my resolve. As he grows, he is getting more aggressive about the food. Also, he will not poo in the litter box - goes on the floor. I believe that is because he stays cleaner - if he goes outside of the box on the floor. He has two litter boxes, of which, I have tried all different types of litter in hopes of solving this problem…..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ragdoll_kitten_gastric

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention that he is on a Probiotic and a Prebiotic.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you notice any difference from before you started the pro/prebiotics? These, depending on the quantity of cfu's might be too strong.

Ragdoll_kitten_gastric

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On Royal Canin kitten canned food (one 3 oz can) sometimes with EN Gastroenteric Purina Pro Plan mixed in
Dry food is Kitten Royal Canin about a cup a day. (He does not graze - I have to measure out and limit his consumption)

Ragdoll_kitten_gastric

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He was doing much better until I forgot to get the FortiFlora refilled and he missed a day. The Prebiotic was recently added and has had no beneficial effect.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
(He does not graze - I have to measure out and limit his consumption)
In order to provide him with something to engage his food focus and hopefully not have to continue to limit him which may be, in part anywya, causing him to feel unsatiated, what about a slow feeder or two?

However, that's a small part of the problem. One 3 oz can isn't anywhere nearly enough, considering he's not getting any more than a cup of kibble, and esecially when his system is struggling to absorb the nutrients.

Have you considered talking with another vet in a different clinic, and/or a nutritionist?
HOME American College of Veterinary Nutritionists

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens are hungry bottomless pits so it's best to feed them as much food as they will eat. Can you feed more canned food daily with the same 1 cup of dry food for snacking on? Ignore the feeding amount suggestion on the food labels and whatever your vet may have told you.

Can you feed a different brand of food? Are you in the US or another country? Royal Canin isn't a very good brand despite what vets say.

When you tried the novel proteins, how long did you try each for? It takes at least 13 weeks or more to see if a new protein has any effect or not.

What kind of litter box are you using? And how many boxes? Some cats prefer to pee in one box and poop in another. Litter box type matters, too. An open litter box is ideal.