My Pregnant Himalayan

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Hi there,
Sadie is now 60 days, she started crying and she hasnt eaten since yesterday morning. does this look like labor will be coming on soon?
May be so.  A little early, but some maternal lines are early deliverers.

Also, look out if it may be some other problems, shaded by her pregnancy.

Be prepared and hold thumbs!

*vibes!*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bazzel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
is it usually 64 days? or longer that is the best time for delivery?

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
64 days is the average time most pregnancies last. I wouldn't say there is a best day for delivery just as long as they are over day 60 so they are not premature. Also if it was getting to day 70 and still no sign of them arriving, I would then get her check out by a vet to make sure everything is ok.

So overall I would say normal delivery should be somewhere between day 60-69

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Since you are breeding purebred Himalayans, you must have a mentor. Do they live nearby or on they on on call in case there is an issue during delivery? :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

The rules arent cast in stone, so its as Gemsgem says..

But my observation here following the many hundreds of forumites is, they seem to manage a little too long pregnancies better than humans.

And kittens manage premature deliveries  much worse than human babies. 

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you are breeding purebred Himalayans, you must have a mentor. Do they live nearby or on they on on call in case there is an issue during delivery? :)
I agree, do you have a mentor to call in case you need help? It's always good to have another breeder friend available who is more experienced. If not you may want to call the breeder you got her from and make plans for her/him to be your on call person.

bazzel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! my baby girl had 6 healthy babies this morning, i have a question though, they are suckling but i dont see any milk. can she still have it without me seeing?

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Congratulations :clap: :clap:

You will not just see the milk dripping out. If that's what you mean ?
The sucking action makes the milk come out. Think of a babies bottle with a teat on the end if you turn it up side down the milk does not just flow out all by itself. It needs the baby to suck on it to release the milk though the hole.
A bit graphic but the only way I could think of explaining it. :D

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You being a breeder may met this situation again.    such a miniature kitten was perhaps doomed anyway, but Im not sure he ever got a fair chance.   Pity you never told you had problems, and asked, when you could and should ask.

a dropper or a little syringe is easier than a bottle with such newborn, weak kittens.   Also, the trick of smearing a little glucose sugar on their gum to perk up the energy...

And keeping them warm and well hydrated too, of course.

Last edited:

bazzel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
please dont tell me i didnt try , i actually took him tot he vet.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure StefanZ wasn't saying you didn't try, he's one of the most compassionate and comforting people I have seen on this site. He meant that with all the experience on this site, more might have been tried, like the dropper and sugar. He also stated it all might not have mattered, premature kittens just don't make it very often, or runts as in your case. He's also from Sweden and sometimes their wording is different in the translation. I know you are hurting over your loss and I know you did all you could, please accept my condolences over the loss of your kitten, we are all saddened by the loss. I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers, keep care of yourself and bless you for loving that little soul. PS, the kittens are beautiful, you should be very proud, kiss mama for me for a job well done! Are you weighing the other kittens daily to make sure they are gaining and getting enough milk?

Last edited:

bazzel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you so much :) the other kittens are growing like wild weeds! 5 beautiful healthy babies! they are starting to show some coloration as well :) i will upload a few more pictures in a few minutes

bazzel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

they are doing AWESOME gaining weight all the time :) so far looks like one tortie point and 1 blue or seal point, the other three im waiting on their colors to come in they may be flame point

bazzel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we are so proud! gaining weight like little champs :) curious to see if the white ones will become flame like their momma