My pregnant cat nala

Linda Whitfield

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My car nala is pregnant and I’m not sure how long she has to have her kittens, she has been sleeping a lot and her belly is hard and I can feel the kittens moving and something is sticking out of her kitty hole not sure to what that is someone please help me this is my cats first time being prego

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Linda Whitfield

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3F7B099C-B05D-4553-B39C-5F6631C7EC1E.jpeg

Hi! Do you see what colour it is what's sticking out of her birth canal?

Is she panting or breathing fast? Do you see any rippling in her belly?

Here's a helpful article that will tell you what to watch for.

Do you have a nesting space set up for her?

Please keep her inside for now or she might try to go have her kittens somewhere dangerous.

Pregnancy And Delivery In Cats - TheCatSite Articles
Yes I have a nesting place set up for her it’s now some type of yellow and greenish coming out of her it’s kinda drippy ,
E2968F4D-DB14-44F6-BA4C-00D61E49AB6B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Linda Whitfield

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We need your help With advice, nala has some type of yellow brownish coming out of her lady part and her stomach is hard and she does have ripples in her furs , she sleeps a lot and now she is laying in her nest that I made for her and is not coming out, she appears to be sleeping right now

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
No expert here, but just trying to help. From the many other kitten threads I have eagerly followed and learned from, this might be the mucus plug, but hang on, I’m sure the wise TCS kitten sages will reply!! Meantime, as long as she is just sleeping, I think you’re doing OK for now.

Linda Whitfield

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No expert here, but just trying to help. From the many other kitten threads I have eagerly followed and learned from, this might be the mucus plug, but hang on, I’m sure the wise TCS kitten sages will reply!! Meantime, as long as she is just sleeping, I think you’re doing OK for now.
Thank you so much she has started panting just don’t know what’s next but she’s calm

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you so much she has started panting just don’t know what’s next but she’s calm
I agree with above.

I think the birthing process has started. Early labor may be quite long, but the active labor, the pushing phase, is usually much shorter than with humans...
As she is calm I think everything is OK so far according to plan.

If she wishes to eat, give her someting calciumrich, whatever she takes and you have at home... Cant hurt, may help.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is mama cat doing now? It does sound like she may have lost her mucus plug. Does she appear to be in active labor now — panting, nesting , or not? Sometimes, the mucus plug can be lost early, and mom can have false labor.

From what you’ve said, it sounds like she may be in active labor. If so, let her go. Mama cats are very good at giving birth. Please let us know if you need more help tonight. Best of luck!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What is coming our is almost surely mucus plug.

HAS she dropped? Ie seems less pregnant? Not all cats drops before delivery, but its the most common.
Im asking because here she looks very round, and you write you feel the kittens moving, so Im not sure she has dropped as yet...

IF not, its not sure its the labor starting, it may also be the Braxton Hicks contractions.... These are a way of mother Nature to prepare her muscles to the oncoming labor; these come usually about 1 week before delivery...

If so, she will have these during the day, after a couple of days she should drop; and delivery in 1-2 days after...

How to know for sure? If she is calm, no visible problems aside of the smallish contraction which doesnt seem to bother her, take for granted its the Braxton Hicks, But if the pushing phase starts; she is delivering... :)
If she is in visible distress, contact your vet.

Ps. As SArthur tells; its common they lose the mucus plug shortly before the labor, but in practice, they can lose it much earlier too... So this is no sure sign for immediate delivery....

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like it may be her mucus plug. This can come right before, or anywhere up to a week before birthing. Could be anytime now!

Please keep us posted. Also, do plan to spay your cat about 6-8 weeks after kittens, so this does not happen again.

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Take a big breath! She needs her human birthing partner not to panic 🐱

Keep her cozy, she will find a good spot. You can always move them later.

Read the articles to see what signs to watch out for. They list when you should see a vet. They also say how to care afterwards.

You'll need a kitchen scale to weigh the kittens daily. You'll want to get some kitten formula and a bottle and syringe in case they stop gaining weight and mamacat needs some help to feed them. Best to get it before and not need it, than to wait and need it.
Weighing Kittens — Kitten Lady

Linda Whitfield

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with above.

I think the birthing process has started. Early labor may be quite long, but the active labor, the pushing phase, is usually much shorter than with humans...
As she is calm I think everything is OK so far according to plan.

If she wishes to eat, give her someting calciumrich, whatever she takes and you have at home... Cant hurt, may help.
Thank you, she’s eating

Linda Whitfield

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is mama cat doing now? It does sound like she may have lost her mucus plug. Does she appear to be in active labor now — panting, nesting , or not? Sometimes, the mucus plug can be lost early, and mom can have false labor.

From what you’ve said, it sounds like she may be in active labor. If so, let her go. Mama cats are very good at giving birth. Please let us know if you need more help tonight. Best of luck!
Hello, she is eating right now everything seems to be “normal “

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No kittens yet still waiting patiently
The waiting game is never fun... Its just to prepare, observe, but wait calmly.

If the prelabor hasnt advanced; my theory is it was these Braxton Hicks contractions... Human women may too have them...

If so, the delivery will come in several days, and first she will almost surely drop; ie become "less pregnant".... When this happens, you will know its one or two days left.

Last edited:

Linda Whitfield

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The waiting game is never fun... Its just to prepare, observe, but wait calmly.

If the prelabor hasnt advanced; my theory is it was these Braxton Hicks contractions... Human women may too have them...

If so, the delivery will come in several days, and first she will almost surely drop; ie become "less pregnant".... What this happens, you will know its one or two days left.
Omg I just can’t wait to see my gland Kitten babies and I know nala is so exhausted from all of this

Linda Whitfield

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thank you so much I’m just waiting with her patiently, she has been laying with me in my bed and back and forth to her nest

Linda Whitfield

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Take a big breath! She needs her human birthing partner not to panic 🐱

Keep her cozy, she will find a good spot. You can always move them later.

Read the articles to see what signs to watch out for. They list when you should see a vet. They also say how to care afterwards.

You'll need a kitchen scale to weigh the kittens daily. You'll want to get some kitten formula and a bottle and syringe in case they stop gaining weight and mamacat needs some help to feed them. Best to get it before and not need it, than to wait and need it.
Weighing Kittens — Kitten Lady
Ok will do , she is so patient and so am I just so excited she lays with me every know and then