My Pregnant Cat Gave Birth But All The Kittens (4) Died

Rana tarek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!

My cat, Maya ( 3 years old) gave birth today to her FIRST litter... That might explain why they died but I'll tell you the details

She started panting and purring and meowing and coming back to me then going at 7:30 pm. I took her to her box then i sat with her and waited...

By 8:30 she started pushing although i didn't notice her water break

It went on and on till 1 am and nothing! I was getting worried.
By 2 am she finally pushed and the baby started getting out, he was stuck though but i didn't want to interfere, and he wasn't moving either so i assumed he was dead and when he came out, he actually was.
She liked him and cut the string and stuff but well he wasn't breathing

By 4:30 am she delivered her 4 babies but all of them were dead.. I was asleep and my brother took over, maybe they were alive and she couldn't feed them? But my brother said that wasn't the case..

Maya is a healthy cat and she has strong bones and nutrition! It surprised me that they died although she is old (her body is strong) and she has been eating well. So does this have anything to do with that this is her first time? Or just bad luck?

Thank you all in advance

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You say she is healthy, I assume she has had bloodwork and everything to determine this? Was this planned? Do you know the male cat she mated with and his health? How about her vet, wasn't he monitoring her pregnancy to make sure the kittens were healthy?

There are a million reasons why this could have happened and I am sorry you lost the babies but this is a good sign that it wasn't meant to be and she should be spayed. I wouldn't put her through that again. I would have the vet check her out and get her on a good diet to gain her strength back and schedule a spay for her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Exactly why they were stillborn, we cant know. Unless they were visibly premature or something. Otherwise there are several other possbilities, including bacteria infection.

But the pushing here seems long. If she began to push at at 8.30, and at 14 "finally pushed but the baby was stuck". He was probably stuck already earlier....
If a kitten is stuck, and you cant rush her to the vet, the trick is to try and help her simultaneously with the pushes. Risky as everything else in this situation, but sometimes it manages OK.
While drawing in other moments has great risks of searing and tearing her apart.

Prelabor may be quite long, even 24 hours. But the active pushing phase is almost always shorter than with women. (I mean here, some women have too short pushing phase).
We usually say, more than 40 minutes and call your vet, and be ready to rush her in...

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. I'm so sorry none of the kittens survived, but thankful that Maya is ok. I hope you can keep her inside, and away from intact cats, until you can get her spayed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rana tarek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's 3 years old

Rana tarek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. I'm so sorry none of the kittens survived, but thankful that Maya is ok. I hope you can keep her inside, and away from intact cats, until you can get her spayed.
thank you, and yes we are keeping her safe

Rana tarek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes we knew the male, he was healthy and took his shots and so did she (before mating) also to be honest we didn't do bloodline tests and stuff but she seemed well and didn't show any signs of being sick or so.
I plan to take her to the vet today or tomorrow to check on her and to tell the vet what happened! Thanks
You say she is healthy, I assume she has had bloodwork and everything to determine this? Was this planned? Do you know the male cat she mated with and his health? How about her vet, wasn't he monitoring her pregnancy to make sure the kittens were healthy?

There are a million reasons why this could have happened and I am sorry you lost the babies but this is a good sign that it wasn't meant to be and she should be spayed. I wouldn't put her through that again. I would have the vet check her out and get her on a good diet to gain her strength back and schedule a spay for her.

Rana tarek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Exactly why they were stillborn, we cant know. Unless they were visibly premature or something. Otherwise there are several other possbilities, including bacteria infection.

But the pushing here seems long. If she began to push at at 8.30, and at 14 "finally pushed but the baby was stuck". He was probably stuck already earlier....
If a kitten is stuck, and you cant rush her to the vet, the trick is to try and help her simultaneously with the pushes. Risky as everything else in this situation, but sometimes it manages OK.
While drawing in other moments has great risks of searing and tearing her apart.

Prelabor may be quite long, even 24 hours. But the active pushing phase is almost always shorter than with women. (I mean here, some women have too short pushing phase).
We usually say, more than 40 minutes and call your vet, and be ready to rush her in...
They didnt look premature they lookrd like normal newborns but not breathing. Also the 1st one was probably stuck earlier that's why she took a long time and kept pushing! Thank god she didn't need a c-section as it was 2 am

Rana tarek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!

My cat, Maya ( 3 years old) gave birth today to her FIRST litter... That might explain why they died but I'll tell you the details

She started panting and purring and meowing and coming back to me then going at 7:30 pm. I took her to her box then i sat with her and waited...

By 8:30 she started pushing although i didn't notice her water break

It went on and on till 1 am and nothing! I was getting worried.
By 2 am she finally pushed and the baby started getting out, he was stuck though but i didn't want to interfere, and he wasn't moving either so i assumed he was dead and when he came out, he actually was.
She liked him and cut the string and stuff but well he wasn't breathing

By 3 am she delivered her 4 babies but all of them were dead.. I was asleep and my brother took over, maybe they were alive and she couldn't feed them? But my brother said that wasn't the case..

Maya is a healthy cat and she has strong bones and nutrition! It surprised me that they died although she is old (her body is strong) and she has been eating well. So does this have anything to do with that this is her first time? Or just bad luck?

Thank you all in advance

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do have her spayed now. Poor girl does not need to go through this again.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes we knew the male, he was healthy and took his shots and so did she (before mating) also to be honest we didn't do bloodline tests and stuff but she seemed well and didn't show any signs of being sick or so.
"Seeming well" means nothing as cats do any and everything possible to hide when something is wrong, when you see something is wrong it is often far advanced. Breeding allows you to pass on possible genetic conditions you would otherwise not have any way to know about. Also no shot is going to test for FIV and FeLV which spread really easily through mating and often you don't know the cat even has it right away or they could be a carrier. Not trying to criticize, just point out risks so you know for next time, these are things people don't think about when they haven't done research with their breed, and rehoming kittens with possible genetic conditions that pop up later in life is a liability for you. I hope there isn't a next time for this poor girl though, please spay her.