My precious

preciousmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I was wondering if anyone can answer a question for me. Yesterday I noticed my very pregnant cat had some discharge and I thought labor would have started by now. I was wondering how long after seeing this clear/reddish discharge would labor begin? She's being real clingy and isn't far from my side no matter what.. Thanks in advance!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi I was wondering if anyone can answer a question for me. Yesterday I noticed my very pregnant cat had some discharge and I thought labor would have started by now. I was wondering how long after seeing this clear/reddish discharge would labor begin? She's being real clingy and isn't far from my side no matter what.. Thanks in advance!
They may have some discharges, as long its clear or just somewhat reddish / brownish its ok.

if you think its the mucose plug, its a sign, but not firesure. The handbooks tells hours or at most a day away.  But in practice it may be several days too.

If she wants her belly rubbed, do so, it helps the hormones coming on,  and also, is very nice massage sort of.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

preciousmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank u so much! She does like to be rubbed now more than ever!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moms like to have their human around too when they give birth. That's why she's so clingy. This is the time to reassure her.

preciousmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I think my cat is going into labor! Now she's sitting on my chest cleaning herself and licking my face too! She won't stop icking me lol is this a sign she's in labor?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, it's not. It just sounds like she's being affectionate. Have you seen her mucus plug, or discharge, or her water breaking, or contractions in her belly? Those are more reliable indicators of labor starting. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

preciousmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes she lost her plug this morning. She's in her box now and won't let me leave her side

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, she may be in stage one labor having contractions then!

preciousmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah I believe she is! How long does the first stage take?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It can last up to 24 hours before pushing begins. Some cats lose their mucus plug days begore labor. Do you see contractions? They look like ripples in the belly.

preciousmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sweet cats babies will be three weeks tomorrow. When I got up this morning I noticed she brought one kitten downstairs and left the rest upstairs. She's feeding this kitten so I don't think she's rejecting it. I just don't know why she only brought one down!? Any advice?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's normal for mom to want a new area for the kittens when they are about three weeks old. How many are there?

preciousmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are five. She hasn't been up to check on the others in a couple hours. She just tried to lay on top of the one she has downstairs. This baby looks very healthy and is now sleeping on my chest

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you help mom to set up a new nest area downstairs and move the others? She is looking for something a bit bigger where they can get more socialization. She does need to have all of them together though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it would help her out for you to move them. Five 3-week-olds is a big job for mom to carry them all. I agree with Talking Peanut that mom is moving them where they can socialize more in a bigger space. This is quite commom around the 3-week mark. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

preciousmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awww she brought a kitten and set him on my chest!

preciousmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Should I be worried that some kittens don't have both eyes open yet?