My Pippin is sick.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Check your furniture, if you have throws over them, Pippin could be eating the thread while he is just laying there on the couch. I am glad they were able to remove the offending ball of thread, and get it off pippin's tongue as well! Poor kitty no wonder Pippin was vomiting-

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so pleased that you found what was wrong and they were able to deal with it so fast! There must be something the cats like somewhere if two cats have ingested thread. I hope you find it and I wish Pippin a speedy recovery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing that the thread is under a bed somewhere or part of the underside of the box spring. Pippin is notorious for trying to eat the fur out of the cat brush, so I wouldn't doubt if he found a ball of fuzz and ate it, not knowing it was made up of fine threads.
What's ironic is that I'm a seamstress, but I don't sew at home. I have my own shop where all that takes place. Anytime I've found a spool of thread, it goes to my shop.
That's why I suspect some sort of furniture fraying going on.

At any rate, thanks for all your kind words. I'll keep you all updated as he recovers and comes home.

I'm so glad I went through with the surgery despite the expense and not knowing if they would find anything for sure. I hesitated with Merry and have regretted it ever since.

Dev

lissa80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good for you, trusting your instincts. I have this problem on occassion with my boys. A few weeks ago one of mine threw up some string from a set of shades in the back bedroom. Ever since then I thoroughly inspect carpeting, rugs, and furniture for loose string. I'm glad your baby is going to be ok.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just picked up Pippin and boy is he looking rough. He's got a 4" incision down his belly, two shaved paws for the IV and is just kinda scruffy looking all in all. But he's alive and that's what's important. He's on Hill's I/D prescription food, antibiotics and an anti nausea. My main worry is to get him eating as soon as possible. He's going on 5 days without substantial nutrient intake. Fortunately, his fluids are fine since they gave him IV fluid therapy during his stay. If all goes well, he won't be nauseous and vomit.

Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers.

Dev

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would imagine he's SO happy to be home, and that even if sore, he's feeling SO much better. I hope he has a good day, and has a good nosh

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just caught up with this and boy am I relieved!
Its the not knowing isnt it thats the worse. Glad that Pippen is okay - just rest, a bit of scoff and meds and he will be fine.
<hugs>

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are a wonderful mommy to provide such good care to your baby so quickly. I'm so glad Pippin had the surgery and that he's at home now.

As far as getting him to eat, are you supposed to keep him solely on Hill's? You might try tempting him with some chicken or veal baby food. Or what about one of the Fancy Feast minced foods? (not great long-term but could work in stimulating the appetite). I'm not a nutritionist or one of the board experts, so please listen to what hissy or Pat&Alix have to say on this before you take my advice. I'm just brainstorming.

Anyway, please keep us updated on how Pippin is doing. I'll be praying for him.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pippin is doing well so far. He's very groggy still, from the anesthetic, but he's resting comfortably in his cat carrier. I draped a thick blanket over it so it's very dark and cozy. I also forced a couple of teaspoons of food into him earlier, but when he's a little more alert I'll try again. I also plan on trying some of his frisky canned favorites if he turns up his nose at the hills.
I don't have a feeding syringe, so does anyone have good ideas for getting food into him if he doesn't want to eat? I've been taking little pieces and pushing them into the side of his mouth. He doesn't get upset when I do that (probably cuz he's so sleepy) and he will swallow it down but it is a little messy.
I have tomorrow off from work, so I'm lookig forward to spending some quality time with my little boy. He doesn't seem to be in any pain (yet), just a little stiff and less agile.

Dev

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dev,

I'm glad to hear that Pippin's sleeping. Poor little boy. Well, lucky little boy, too -- you saved his life!

I'm not sure what to suggest re: how to force feed so I'll let the experts post their advice on that one. In the meantime, I'll keep on praying for Pippin.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just make little meatballs to put in the side of the mouth, or if I have a syringe (your vet can give you one..say a 10 or 12 cc size, just cut of the plastic tip closer to the barrel so it's easier to pull up blenderized food)...and then take your prescription food, mix it with a bit of warm water in a blender to get a puree thickness. Hopefully, you will not need to do any assist-feeding...but for a great tips on this, just because it's almost a fact of life with a crf kitty that one will need to do so at some point, go to this page and read the assisted-feeding section:tanya's site - on assisted feeding

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well Pippin wasn't interested in eating on his own, but he got up from his rest and had a pee, took his anti biotic, and let me give him water and diluted food through a syringe.
I don't want to give him the food too quickly, since he's been vomiting so much this week and his tummy is probably still a bit upset. I'll give him some more food in an hour or so. I am home all day tomorrow, so I'm thinking I'll give him feedings every 1-2 hours in small doses. Hopefully I won't have to do that too long and he'll be back eating on his own. He seems almost grateful that I'm helping him with the food.
He's back down for another nap.

Dev

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Devlyn

Well Pippin wasn't interested in eating on his own, but he got up from his rest and had a pee, took his anti biotic, and let me give him water and diluted food through a syringe.
That sounds like good news! I'm glad Pippin is on the mend.

I don't want to give him the food too quickly, since he's been vomiting so much this week and his tummy is probably still a bit upset. I'll give him some more food in an hour or so. I am home all day tomorrow, so I'm thinking I'll give him feedings every 1-2 hours in small doses. Hopefully I won't have to do that too long and he'll be back eating on his own. He seems almost grateful that I'm helping him with the food.
He's back down for another nap.

Dev
You're being a good
to him. He's a lucky little kitty-cat.

jan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad he's on the mend. Poor little animal. Well done for getting him help so quickly. God, this is scary. In about 16 years I've never had cats that ate rubbish before, but I've twice recently found puke with string in it that one/both of my 6 month old babies have eaten. I realise now how lucky we've been. I'm off for a string hunt right now.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pippin is doing a little better this morning. He got up and took a stroll to another room and laid down for a while, then returned to his crate. I've been syringing food and water into him, but it takes a long time. I'm lucky that he doesn't fight me on it, just doesn't seem interested in eating himself. He's nice and warm, but doesn't seem feverish, and his scar isn't too angry looking. I'll be more relieved when he actually has a poop and starts eating on his own, but for the moment, I'm willing to count my blessings.
Dev

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, we have another step back. Pippin was sleeping on my bed and jumped down to go to the litter box. I think he hurt himself a bit because after he pee'd, he laid down and started licking his lips like he was nauseaus. I gave him one of his anti nausea pills, but it was too late, apparently, because he threw up immediately after. It was a power puke too, lots of green bile.
Since this was the first time since he's been home that he's thrown up, the vet just wants me to keep an eye on him more and keep plugging away at water and assist feedings of anything he'll eat. He just had the first tuna juice he's had in a long time and seemed to enjoy it somewhat.
He had another nausea pill and kept it down, and has kept down the watery Hills, some raw steak, and some tuna juice.
does anyone know if the raw steak is too rich for him? He only would take a few small pieces, but I figured it probably had more calories in one small piece than several CCs of Hill's.
If Pippin doesn't need a trip to the vet tomorrow, I'll probably make one myself and get a larger feeding syringe and some Hill's A/D for assist feeding. I'm praying he will start eating and drinking on his own soon.

Dev

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor Devlyn. I know it must be so hard to see your baby so sick. I'm keeping you and Pippin in my prayers. Stay strong.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dev,

I would not feed this kitty raw beef right now, I don't think it's easier to digest, it comes with risks, and it has none of the supplementation that the Hills prescription does. I'd stick to using the Hills, and then getting a/d as soon as possible.

Hope the rest of the day is better for Pippin,

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mr Pippin has surprised me again. I pulled the top of his cat crate so I could feed him (he had put his head at the opposite end to the gate) and he ate a little. Then I wiped him down with a warm wash cloth. He hasn't been able to clean himself too well since he got home. He responded by getting up, stretching, and started to clean himself. He wasn't impressed with me watching him, so I sat down at my desk and he came over to me, rubbed his head against my hand and hopped ono the chair beside me, then got up on the desk! He sniffed around a little at my cup (he always drinks out of them) then laid down and went to sleep all stretched out, not in his angry huddled pose.

Apparently, some of that food has gotten processed and he's got a little more energy.

Feeling better,
Dev