My Old kitties issues, chronic pancreatitis?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is giving you a Christmas present, just a day late

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
New here and following the thread. Praying for your kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers for DeeJay, she is acting 200% better today, very active, snarfed all the food she has been given.  I started her on Krill Oil tonight and was a little worried cause she can be picky about stuff in her food, she ate it with gusto.  After she finished her meal she went around to everyone elses dishes and ate what she could.  She hasn't had an appetite stimulant for 2 days now.  Yay!  Maybe she's on the mend and maybe her intestines were/are just inflammed with everything else going on.....maybe she doesn't have cancer.  We can always hold out hope right?

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgot to add....I think part of her appetite issue was that she didn't like the i/d I was trying to feed her from the vet, she eats it good when she's at the vet but apparently it's not her favorite.  So I will return it (I bought a case of it).  My other cats don't mind it, but I don't particularly like the ingredients.  She is eating Friskies/Fancy Feast and Meow Mix just fine now. 

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear DeeJay is eating and feeling better!  
  Yes, we can always hope for the best. 

Sebastian didn't like the i/d, either. This is what they tried to give him during his big pancreatitis flares. The ingredients aren't great, anyway, so we didn't continue it. Then he was switched to the RC rabbit, which he likes.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers for DeeJay, she is acting 200% better today, very active, snarfed all the food she has been given.  I started her on Krill Oil tonight and was a little worried cause she can be picky about stuff in her food, she ate it with gusto.  After she finished her meal she went around to everyone elses dishes and ate what she could.  She hasn't had an appetite stimulant for 2 days now.  Yay!  Maybe she's on the mend and maybe her intestines were/are just inflammed with everything else going on.....maybe she doesn't have cancer.  We can always hold out hope right?
What great news cprcheetah. You must be thrilled that your little girl is not only eating her food, but seems hungry for more and without the need for the app stimulant. Sorry to hear about the E-Coli as the possible cause of this. How very odd that this should cause constipation and pancreatitis though. You would expect digestive upset, infection, diarrhea and such, but pancreatitis. That is pretty serious. Did you find the cause of the E-Coli?

If the only symptom of mega colon is not going, then giving cisapride may not be very helpful if there is no issue with motility. Giving something like miralax or lactulose on the other hand, will help to hydrate the colon and keep things from getting to a crisis stage where you need to do enemas. Of course, we all know when it comes to constipation, what works for one cat may not work for another. I am sure you will figure this thing out. 

Positive thoughts and best wishes for continued improvement for little Deejay!

Last edited:

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet I work for think that the Pancreatitis, UTI/EColi might be related.  It is very odd that she isn't showing the standard signs o pancreatitis, but her test was positive.  As for the Mega Colon, her only symptom is not going, and it showing up on the xrays.  Right now we have her on Miralax and it seems to be doing the trick so far.  She is still eating good, hubby fed her one of the Meow Mix cups while I was gone to work today and she ate about 3/4 of it.  She ate all her breakfast too.  I am so relieved.  It may not be cancer after all.  My dad said that she could have Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome, he has seen cases where it just constipates them.  He has had the diagnosis confirmed with a biopsy on those cases.  For now we are just going to keep up the Simplicef (antibiotic), the Prednisolone, and Miralax and see where that takes us.  But fingers crossed she will continue to do better.

Last edited:

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So hubby watched me prepare DeeJay's dinner tonight and he was flaberghasted by everything I am doing for her, and the fact that she is still eating with everything added into her food.  Here is her meal time protocol:

1/2 of a 5.5oz can fed 3x a day, with 1 2.75oz cup of Meow Mix as well. 

1 tablet Zeel crushed into powder (Homeopathic Arthritis meds) twice daily

1 Cosequin Capsule (am)

4-6 drops Traumeel (homeopathic Arthritis Med) twice daily

1 scoop Lysine Powder twice daily

1 Krill Oil Capsule opened on food (pm only)

1/4 tsp Miralax twice daily

1 Probiotic capsule with her evening snack

1/4 tsp Pancreazyme Powder twice a day

1 Prednisolone tablet twice daily (tapering down to once daily starting tomorrow)

1/4 tablet Simplicef once daily at night

1/2-1 tablet Cyproheptadine twice daily (as needed only she hasn't had it for 3 days now)

She is gaining weight she is back up to 10.4#, gonna have to watch it, I think she should maybe weigh 11-12# at a healthy weight.

Last edited:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL.I can totally relate. I had to write down instructions for my mom to take care of my three cats while I was away for a weekend, and it blew her mind that each cat eats something different and they all get different supplements. 
  The lists were very long like yours! My boyfriend wants me to write a "manual" in case something should ever happen to me.

That's great that her weight continues to increase. 

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is such good news!  So what if you have to add a bunch of stuff to her food
  As long as she's feeling good and eating it, that's what counts

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Daily DeeJay update :)  She is doing well still eating really good.  I think she knows that the medicine I give her help her feel better.  I put her on her back and cover the pills with pill pockets and then just drop them down the hole.  She was fighting me really bad at first, now she just lays there.  I really hope this trend continues and she keeps improving. 

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is quite the laundry list of things Deejay is getting, but obviously its working as she continues to do well. That's great.

Last edited:

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

DeeJay is NOT amused with her FAT brother.....he is literally squishing poor Mini to death, but can you see her look of disgust with him?  She was really grumping at him, which I don't blame her, he weighs 16# (yes he is on a diet).  DeeJay is giving mommy the best New Year's present she is doing so well we may taper her off of the Pred and see how she does.  I am one excited mommy!  She is eating really well (which may just be the pred), but we shall see if the trend continues.

Last edited:

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, is that three cats in one bed with Mini on the bottom? She looks like she might be thinking, 'oh for the love of pete, would you get off of me! While the other looks on probably thinking, 'glad its not me under there! LOL.

Last edited:

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

OMG, is that three cats in one bed with Mini on the bottom? She looks like she might be thinking, 'oh for the love of pete, would you get off of me! While the other looks on probably thinking, 'glad its not me under there! LOL.
Yep that's my fat boy on top and he is literally laying all across poor Mini Dee.  He's such a bed hog, he loves this bed and will climb in it no matter who else is in it.  He has his own thread of his bed hoggingness: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/270171/munchie-the-bed-hog  Also just wanted to show DeeJays getting a little bit of her chunky monkeyness back, look at that belly!

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well perhaps kitties learn early on from kittenhood how to tolerate being squished. It always amazes me when I see pics of cats of any age all heaped together, when they sleep. You have a lovely trio there and Deejay is looking good.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just another update on little miss DeeJay.  She continues to eat well (not app stimulant needed), we are tapering down her Pred.  She does have pale colored extremely smelly diarrhea now today though :(.  She has 2 more days on her antibiotic, then we are supposed to take her back in for a recheck on the urine to make sure the infection is gone on Thursday.  She is still gaining weight and looks really good, I can no longer see her back bone and it's not as prominent when I pet her.  She weighs 10.4# today.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just another update on little miss DeeJay.  She continues to eat well (not app stimulant needed), we are tapering down her Pred.  She does have pale colored extremely smelly diarrhea now today though :(.  She has 2 more days on her antibiotic, then we are supposed to take her back in for a recheck on the urine to make sure the infection is gone on Thursday.  She is still gaining weight and looks really good, I can no longer see her back bone and it's not as prominent when I pet her.  She weighs 10.4# today.
I'm interested to know how she does on a lower dose of pred. When we tried to lower Sebastian's dose from 5 mg daily to 5 mg every other day, he flared up again.

I'm sorry to hear about the diarrhea.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Still doing ok?  Wonder what's causing the diarrhea