My new cat won't come out of hiding.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You all have such wonderful advice! Thank you all so much! The first few days, she wouldn't eat or use the litter box, but now she seems at least a little more comfortable, so she's eating and using the litter box now. I've sent an email to the foster family, and they've offered to come sit with her if things get any worse. Thank you all so much!

It's been about five weeks, and Chubbs is still in the wall. I still refuse to give up on her, but I'm starting to lose hope.

I really need help and advice. 
During the five weeks you've had her, were you able to try to have members of the foster family Chubbs was with for two years come over to visit her? Also, did they transfer over to you any of her favorite toys or pet beds or sleeping pads, towels, etc., that she had familiarity with during those two years? Maybe a familiar smell of an item from "her old turf" would help her out immensely.

Have you talked to the foster family about what kind of "safety place" Chubbs had while she was living with them? Where would she hide when living with them, when she wanted to "escape" from the world? Maybe you can replicate that in your home. In my view, all cats need one or more hidey places or places-of-safety in a home, hidey places like a carrier, a box, a particular sofa or chair, crawling space under a bookcase, or up on top of a cat tree... spots that they can call their own domain where others should "fear to tread" (I would trespass upon the two or three places my cat has as hidey places only if a health emergency occurs of course). Know what I mean? Obviously, she's latched on to the closet as her safe place. She does not yet know of, or have, other "safety domains". Can you provide possible other choices for her?

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I completely agree with @Feralvr Chubbs needs to get out of the closet and fast.  Then she needs a room of her own.  Just be sure if there is a bed in the room, that you lay it flat on the floor or pick it up.  Under the bed is the first place the cat will hide.  Next be sure to block off behind large pieces of furniture.  Cats can squeeze themselves into very small places.  I had a bookcase in the room I used to socialize a feral cat and ended up putting a sheet over it and securing it with binder clips to be sure the cat did not get onto the shelves.  You might need to get on the floor and see things from the cats perspective to determine what she could get into. 

Once you get her into a room a Feliway is a must.  It will help to calm her.  You also might want to try Composure.  It is a nonsedating calming supplement.  It comes in treat or liquid form.  I find the liquid easier to work with as it can mixed into wet food.  The treats can be hit or miss with cats and it can take 4 or more per day ( they are pretty big treats). 

When you get her to her new space, try to visit often for short periods of time.  Sit on the floor at her level so that you do not loom over her.  Bring in something yummy for her to eat such as plain cooked chicken, canned tuna or salmon.  She may not eat it while you are there, but she will start to associate you with something yummy. 

Watch to see if eye contact scares her.  If so, try to look over the top of her head or keep your head low. 

Music or a tv playing also helps. 

If there is a window in the room, be sure to keep it closed and watch for any cords on blinds that might need to be wrapped up.  A cat tree or perch by a window is often a great thing.  Cats like to look outside.  You also could provide a bird feeder out the window for added enjoyment.

Please do your best to get her out of the closet.  It might not be pretty and she might need to be physically removed.  You can wear thick gloves or even throw a towel or blanket over her and then place her into the carrier.  Just try to remain as calm as possible.  She is not making any progress in the closet.  A trap is a good idea and shouldn't be too hard.  Yet a carrier will work too. 

Please keep us updated.

juleska

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK - these are my thoughts. Chubbs is not going to come out on of the wall/closet on her own at this point. She needs to be trapped/or coaxed inside of a cat carrier.. You may actually have to potentially treat her as if you were trapping an outdoor feral cat - even though she is not. She NEEDS to come out of the closet or you will never make any progress. Once trapped, you need to put her in a small room with NO PLACE she can hide where you are unable to reach her easily but at the same time she needs cubbies and even some cardboard boxes to hide inside. A cat tree in the room is a plus as well. Lots of comfy beds and all of her necessities. Pick some beautiful music to play in her room as well and add the Feliway diffusers. Spend much time in that room each day with her reading to her, working on your laptop or even watching TV.

Chubbs may always be a very, very skittish kitty. I have one of those and his name is Perkins. He only allowed my husband to begin petting him this year and he if FIVE years old. Raised by me as a feral kitten. Some cats have a very wide range of personalities and temperaments and only when we get to know them do we find out where they may fall in those categories. It could potentially take weeks or months for Chubbs to begin to feel comfortable around you and in your home but I assure SHE WILL !!!! Having her confined to a small place will allow her and you to bond and begin a trusting relationship. Cats need a schedule and an exact routine to rely on and that will help move things along too.

I had a cat - well before I even had feral cat experience - that hid under a bed for weeks and weeks at our home. It was only until I contacted a feral cat organization that I learned how to do things "right". In a way - you have to gently push yourself on the cat. A cat will become very aggressive if they are hiding and you are trying to reach in and potentially pull them out. Chubbs may also benefit from an anti-depressant from your vet just temporarily to get her through her nerves. She is SO scared right now having to live in the closet and she doesn't know which way to turn or go. YOU have to make the decisions for her and show her the way!!!! Hope this helps some and don't ever give up hope. She was friendly once before - regardless of her abusive past - she will be friendly again once trust is solidified BUT you need the right tools to make that happen.

I am trying to post an article but having computer issues and will try again later - it is a great article on socializing cats.
I agree with all of this. I was actually thinking of the anti-depressant as well. You could mix some in her food to calm her, that would make it easier to get her out of the closet and into a different space. She needs to be coaxed out of there.

I hope she still has a good appetite or there may be a medical issue complicating this as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cassidyraie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone! 

I wanted to give everybody an update on Chubbs the cat. It's been nine weeks now, and she's still in hiding. But today, I've been able to get my hands on a Hav A Hart feral cat trap. Inside, I've placed a sweater that has her scent all over it, and a can of her favorite wet cat food. Hopefully by the end of the night, I'll be able to get Chubbs out of hiding! I'll keep you updated. 

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hey everyone! 

I wanted to give everybody an update on Chubbs the cat. It's been nine weeks now, and she's still in hiding. But today, I've been able to get my hands on a Hav A Hart feral cat trap. Inside, I've placed a sweater that has her scent all over it, and a can of her favorite wet cat food. Hopefully by the end of the night, I'll be able to get Chubbs out of hiding! I'll keep you updated. 
Such good news!  I wish you the best. Please let us know how it turns out.

katherinep1225

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it is only natural to have that behavior for a cat(and hamsters, too)

when cats are in a new place, they have to sniff around and smell everything, and hide some place that they feel safe.

and it is good that she is willing to come out of hiding. But don't forget to take her to the vet when it seems to abnormal even for a cat!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: For success !!!!!!!!!!!!! I tell ya - some cats are this way and seriously will never come out of hiding if we don't intervene and show them the way. :nod: BEST OF LUCK !!!!!!! :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

cassidyraie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do have an update, but it's not one with a happy ending (for me). I was eventually able to get her out of hiding and into her "safe room" but she had severely regressed back to her original feral nature. In the end, she had to go back to her foster family. But thankfully they are now her forever family, and she's finally happy. 

juleska

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I do have an update, but it's not one with a happy ending (for me). I was eventually able to get her out of hiding and into her "safe room" but she had severely regressed back to her original feral nature. In the end, she had to go back to her foster family. But thankfully they are now her forever family, and she's finally happy. 

I know how hard you worked to win her over and make her feel at home. I'm so sorry it didn't work out and I know what you must be feeling. Please know you did all the right things. I think she was more bonded with her foster family than they realized and the trauma of being separated from those who had domesticated her was just too much. And the important thing for the kitteh is that she is now happy again.

As for you: All that work and nothing to show for it. How very frustrating. Perhaps you can contact some shelters or rescues in your area and see if there's any outgoing kitties looking for a new home. I'm certain someone can find the right kitty for you!

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for coming back to update.  I am sorry things did not work out with Chubbs.  You did so much to help.  I am happy she is back with her foster family and there to stay. 

cassidyraie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I know how hard you worked to win her over and make her feel at home. I'm so sorry it didn't work out and I know what you must be feeling. Please know you did all the right things. I think she was more bonded with her foster family than they realized and the trauma of being separated from those who had domesticated her was just too much. And the important thing for the kitteh is that she is now happy again.

As for you: All that work and nothing to show for it. How very frustrating. Perhaps you can contact some shelters or rescues in your area and see if there's any outgoing kitties looking for a new home. I'm certain someone can find the right kitty for you!

About a month after losing Chubbs, I contacted some shelters, and adopted a bonded pair. They've acclimated perfectly, and they love their new home