My nerves are shot, I dont want to kill my cat.(PLEASE READ!!)

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by spookiesmom
Early this morning he sprayed the side of the bed I sleep on..I think he's trying to tell me something?!?
Spraying is usually a cat's way of saying "This is mine!" So, when he sprayed your side of the bed, he was basically telling all other animals (including humans, perhaps) that you belong to him and no one else! Thank goodness he sprayed your bed instead of spraying you!

Make sure you clean that spot and, when dry, spray it every morning and evening with Feliway. Also, you might just sit down and tell him that he is your big boy and that no one is going to get in the way of that, and that he doesn't need to spray because you won't let anyone else take you away from him. I know it sounds silly, but having conversations with your cat can help calm their anxieties!

vortex72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE:

I'm sure this thread has gotten old by now but I thought I'd come back and give an update. After tearing down the foil I havent found any evidence of Jasper spraying for several weeks. This does not mean he ISNT spraying, just that its been minimized to the point I havent detected it.

Sadly, today I found a spray on the side of my leather couch. I immediately cleaned it with the enzymatic spray. One thing I notice Jasper does it back his butt up to things alot, EVEN ME! Many times when he is "eeling" around my feet he'll stop with his butt against my leg and raise one leg just a little bit (like 2cm) and kind of "tap" that leg against me like he's trying to mark or something. He still backs up to many verticle surfaces and shakes his tail (kitchen and bathroom) and appears to be spraying, but he is NOT spraying and does not spray in these areas. My last resort is to take him to the vet. I also have let my feliway plugin run out so this may have triggered a relapse.

One other thing is I notice his backside "spasming" often. Kinda like he has a nervous tic in the muscles on the lower half of his back. He does this constantly. I have also seen him drag his butt on the carpet but I've had him medicated for worms. Anyway, I'm going to take him to the vet but if any of this new info gives you guys ideas, please respond.

Thanks,

Adam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Adam I think taking him to the vet is the best idea. I hope they find some answers for you.

vortex72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE:

I still havent taken Jasper to the vet due to time/money constraints but things seem to have stabilized.

I cant say for sure that he has completely stopped spraying but all the interventions I've taken seem to have minimized it. He still displays the marking behavior but I havent found any spray evidence in quite some time. I still plan to take him to the vet when I can but I can live with the current situation. Thanks for all the support!

For anyone who may be reading this thread and have a similar problem, I must say the most effective things I did were using the aluminum foil and being vigilant about cleaning up any sprayed areas.

Thanks again!

I will report back to this thread if anything changes in the future and after my next vet visit.

peanut10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How much of cayenne pepper are you suppose to use with the water. Could you please give exact measurements for the pepper and water. Thanks

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Peanut, hi, and welcome to TCS.   Just thought I would quickly say that this post you questioned is almost 10 years old, so you may not get a response!  B
ut then again, you never know.  It may raise some interesting discussion

mum of two

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Had similar problem.  Almost solved.

I noticed that when my cat is stressed or being told NO he would urinate anywhere sofa, rug, bed...etc

First get him checked at the vet so he doesn't have a urine/bladder infection.

Then if he's clear then it's 100% a behavioral problem.

Here are some things you need to do in order to solve the issue:
  1. clean the letterbox daily.
  2. Place the letterbox in a hidden place where no one sees him while he's there, they like privacy.
  3. Also if it's a covered letter box, remove the cover.
  4. Do change the letter box if another cat have used it before.
  5. if your house is big, try placing two letterboxes.
  6. Please do not yell no or shout or prevent him from doing anything that you don't want him to do. shouting makes him stress.  Remove him from what he is doing like if he was scratching the sofa, just remove him away without yelling.
  7. if you see him urinates immediately take him to his letterbox
Also if you could let him stay at the vet for the night, it could help him change

catmom5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dr Elsie's Cat Attract litter works, especially if you can confine the cat to a single room. I had a friend who actually used a multi-level cage with that litter and after several weeks, the problem was solved (of course, you have to do the cleaning, too). I'm glad that you all are working to find solutions because too many cats simply get taken to the shelters or killed or just turned loose. There is always a reason why they do what they do and we just have to figure it out!

(One of mine loves to pee on fluffy bathroom rugs and blankets so I just don't have any of those things available!)

Good luck to you all.

catmom5

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peanut, hi, and welcome to TCS.   Just thought I would quickly say that this post you questioned is almost 10 years old, so you may not get a response!  B
ut then again, you never know.  It may raise some interesting discussion

I thought I would repost this, just because it seems people aren't reading all the way through the thread and realizing this is over 8 years old.