My nerves are shot, I dont want to kill my cat.(PLEASE READ!!)

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PLEASE Dont let the cat's peeing problem cause u to take it to the pound not knowing if they will give it away or uthenize it...If you cant take it to a vet to find out if it has a problem, have you thought about giving it away as an OUTSIDE cat? Or having it outside yourself? That way it lives and u won't have to worry about the bathroom problem...Oh and if you give it away dont forget to warn the new owners so they know...U dont want them to give the cat to a pound not knowing about the problem, when u could have found someone who would like the cat....PLEASE understand I am not mad or giving u an order...you sounded desperate so I am only telling u what I would do..
Good Luck and let us know what happens.

shell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have much to offer and it looks like you've received some great tips.
My Tiki had some inappropriate peeing problems for the first 6 months I got her. The only thing that I have found that I needed to add more litterboxes. I have 3 cats and I didn't realize that I needed more boxes. It is a bit of a inconvience to have so many boxes (I know have 5 total), but since I've done this I have not had one accident with her. I'm so happy that she's stopped doing this...I know first hand how hard it is to deal with this kind of behavior. The most important thing to have is PATIENCE! It is so hard to have a lot of patience during this time...but eventually you will find the "miracle cure" that works for your furbaby!
Good luck and please keep us all posted on what's happening!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One cat needs two litter pans- that has been my mantra for a long time...

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Vortex,

I have been keeping up with this thread. I have a 4 year-old neutered male who goes through phases where he doesn't use the litter box. He doesn't spray, just pees. It's a constant battle, and I have to be vigilant in keeping things he is attracted to out of his way. For example, I can't have piles of papers around, or plastic grocery bags. They are like a pee magnet for him. I really admire that you haven't given up on your cat and have sought to use some of the suggestions posted here. So many people think that cats are "care-free" pets and don't want to make the effort. My hat's off to you. Good luck.

angelzoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vor: I would really hope that you would try the other suggestions offered before just letting him turn into an outside cat, specially if there are many other cats or even ferals known to be living in your immediate area. Specially once a cat gets used to going out, they can drive you even MORE nuts demanding to go out all the time, even at all hours of the night.

As for the amytriptyline, maybe I got jipped, but it was $60.00 PER MONTH, to pill him 2x per day. I don't remember what the dosage was, this was about 3 years ago. He was on it for anxiety and depression problems... linked with lots of impoper elimination habits (not spraying.) He is still an emotional cat, but I can tell you he is doing sooo much better, he hasn't peed any place but his litter box for over a year now, and the last one was my own fault, I upsetted him and I just wasn't thinking.

vortex72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you!

my cat doesnt pee in the wrong places its all marking.

when he wants to let go of a gusher he always goes in the litter box(however he HAS fully peed in the bathroom sink AND TOILET before!!) this only happens if I let his litter box get dirty which I dont any more.

REPEAT QUESTION::::: how do you mix the cayenne pepper spray???

vortex72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I cant let this cat out. I live in apartments so and he has ALWAYS been an inside cat.

He has been declawed in the rront and wouldnt be able to survive on his own.. Plus he's a lazy fat lardass who just loves to be petted.

I have let him out a few times but its ridiculous. He goes into "commando" mode and I cant get him to even acknowledge me. It takes forever to get him back inside and when I do he is pissed and usually ends up spraying.

So my poor kitty will have to sacrifice the "secret agent" lifestyle and resign himself to be a "fat love sponge"

shell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by AngelzOO

As for the amytriptyline, maybe I got jipped, but it was $60.00 PER MONTH, to pill him 2x per day. I don't remember what the dosage was, this was about 3 years ago.
Angel, you got jipped! Since I work in a Pharmacy I know just what this stuff sells for and even our cost on it. I believe that we can get a bottle of 1000 pills for around 20 bucks...but you can purchase 100 of them for around $12 or so. I know it's outragously priced considering our cost...but I have no controll over that!
I'm not trying to plug retail pharmacies or anything, but on some drugs it's so much cheaper to get them at a pharmacy then from the Vet.
Just my 2 cents...

angelzoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know that I could get this med from a pharmacy instead of a vet. I really didn't know too much about behavioral altering medications until I got Asim.

The vet we got these from is known to be VERY over priced on most of what they charge. They are a good vet, I've never had a problem with them, in way of adiquitly helping an animal, but they seem very money oriented, they don't help out with rescue groups in any way shape or form cause the owner see's it as a "loss of money". They were also the vet I told of who checked out Tage when he fell VERY ill from his URI as a kit, and did a million and one things to him with out asking me if I wanted it or telling me about what they were doing first. That made me upset, but I know they did it in the best intrest to help him asap.

vortex72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HOW DO YOU MIX THE CAYENNE PEPPER SPRAY??

HOW DO YOU MIX THE CAYENNE PEPPER SPRAY??

sorry, but nobody has answered this.. what ingredients etc?

very sad update: after all i've tried the last several days, Jasper marked on the side of my leather couch again! this was right next to the comfort zone plugin and very shortly after i had sprayed the couch with Boundary Repellent after I had thoroughly cleaned it with enzymatic cleaner.

I just dont know what to do. It seems the spraying is SO ingrained in him because it went unchecked for at least 2 years at my old apartment.. I'm very sad. I will try the cayenne spray and the foil now, I dont know what else to do. The vet trip will be coming soon after that.

Maybe I'll have to find a home for him. I am getting so discouraged. This is going on 3months now I've been trying to control this.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry it was only a temporary solution for your boy.

As for the cayenne pepper, I did a search and found this recipe (it was actually for repelling cats from using their garden as a litterbox, bvut the effect should still be the same) along with a warning. You want the smell to be there, but not allow kitty to get into the actual liquid when you spray it.

spray on your leaves (not the cat): fill a spray bottle with 1/2 t chili powder, 1/2 t cayenne pepper, 1 t dishsoap and water

*** chili powder, red crushed pepper, cayenne pepper (not recommended), it gets on the cat's paws then they wash themselves and they get it in their eyes, beware cats have literally scratched their eyes out because of this

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by vortex72
[BI also found that his "spraying behavior" is massively accelerated when he's excited. [/b]
My Chester used to have a spraying problem. The techniques I found helpful are in the Inappropriate Urination thread you already read. But...one thing I didn't put in that thread is the fact that I can't give Chester catnip. When Chester gets into catnip he has soooo much fun, but unfortunately part of his catnip frenzy involves a joyful spraying of anything he can get to before I catch him! So, I've learned to not let him get too excited and I never give him catnip!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most manufacturers use animal renderings when they make leather couches. It could be that this is what is getting your boy so excited and making him spray again. I know there is a neutralizing powder you can buy and rub into leather to get rid of the animal smell. Let me look through some old bookmarks I have and see if I can find the information for you.

Another thing I would like to suggest is to become a member of our newsletter here. We have a well-known cat behaviorist who answers cat lover's concerns every month in our newsletter. You may send a letter to [email protected] and just address it to Dear Amy and tell her your story. She has given out awesome advice to a lot of members and if your letter is chosen from the others received, you will see it in print in the newsletter and on the website here.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know it won't look good...but it is not permanent! And isn't a little foil better than a lot of cat pee on your furniture?!

Tape long sheets of foil onto the places where he marks. Once he hasn't sprayed in a week in one particular foiled spot, tear off about an inch of the foil. Each day he doesn't spray that spot, tear off another inch. Before the foil is completely removed, treat the area one last time with the enzymatic cleanser just to make sure there is no lingering smell.

Again...foil is better than pee. Why not give it a try!?

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can say is Sugie always starts at the change of season times. Maybe the change is seasons is affecting him. Sugarly has been on the Amitrytoplene since October 2001 (when I found this site) and it really helps her as long as we keep up on her doses!

rebecca p.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

You're most welcome for the response , that's what we are ALL here for !

Puff (Bentley) loves the small of the repellent....FIGURES! *LOL* So I had to resort to the foil .
And yes it does look like a Sci-Fi movie but I think , I hesitate to say so early for fear that I'll jinx the situation , that he's getting the message . *crosses fingers* I just thought of another solution.....CLEAR DOUBLE SIDED STICKY TAPE for kitties that go in odd places like decorative pillows and such and for kitties that like to scratch on the corners of a couch , etc . Not as unsightly , ya know ? Of course you cannot really use the pillow , but , it's a thought .

Now, about that Cayenne solution . I use the powdered and I use exactly those proportions. I know it seems strong , but that way you don't have to satutrate your furniture and stuff causing a mold and mildew problem , ya know ? Just spray lightly , as in a mist in those areas. Once he licks his paws or gets it on his nose and tastes it ( it won't hurt him ) he'll get the idea real quick !

I hope I helped

Rebecca

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
@Vortex - Any progress being made? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that SOMETHING works!
@Lotsocats - It's funny that you should say that about the catnip. We have two catnip plants in the backyard, where I take our cat for walks on a leash. He'll be four next month, and never showed an interest in the stuff until this January. Now he goes out and rolls in the stuff, and afterwards marks all over the yard. I figured he was doing it because an unneutered male has also been marking around, but now I think the catnip is also having an impact. Luckily he has never marked inside the house, and I don't give him any catnip inside.

vortex72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE:

I have been using the feliway plugin and Natures Best cleaner. I also have been spraying repellent. He is still marking. I came home today and found he had marked the leather couch TWICE in 2 different places while I was at work. I got really mad and shut him up in the bedroom while I cleaned the sites and aluminum foiled the whole couch. NOT 30MINUTES LATER he sprayed the godamnned aluminum foil!! and I mean a BIG SPRAY! Is it normal for them to spray the foil at first? I dont think I can take it any more. I got really mad at my cat and threw him down and rubbed his face in the spray and spanked the :censor::censor::censor::censor: out of him. Yes I know you all hate my guts now for abusing my cat but you just dont know how much effort I've been through to try and remedy this. I have even been giving him MORE affection lately and playing with him more often to make sure its not just an attention thing. Yes my cat is fine, I didnt really hurt him but I scared him. I'm just so upset, I cant take it any more..... i dont know what else to say. it took all my will power to keep from just tossing him out the door and letting him fend for himself! and i LOVE this cat!! a BUNCH!! thats how upset I am!

I am at my wits end. Does someone want to adopt this cat? I will drive up to 200 miles to give him a home.

angelzoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please tell us where you live, and I'm sure one of us will take him in, at least as a foster, at the very least we can help you find a rescue group close to you that would also take this cat until a perminate home can be found.

And I have to say it, please do not spank your cat, if you get upset with something he does, just leave the room or the house for a while until you can calm down.