My neighbor burning his lawn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Wow I would have freaked out and called the fire department!
Well first I wanted to ask what the heck he was doing. When I asked if he had a permit he said all you have to do is call the fire department when you do it. So I figured he really did have a permit. It still seemed stupid that he was doing it so close to his house or mine, but I figured, he has a permit/permission, they wouldn't give it to him if he couldn't be that close.

Apparently it was just a sack full of you know what

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My neighbor burns the top of his house. It's a house with basically grass/dirt on top of it. He burns the grass off every spring.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

I may call the fire department just to make sure, although he's not doing it now. My problem with soaking down the area of my lawn is, well all our hoses are put away so I'd have to drag them out. But beyond that, I don't know when the next time he's going to do it is. In order for me to soak down my lawn in preperation for the next time, I'd have to know in advance..and lets face it, I shouldn't have to waste my time and money on my water bill just so he can scorch his lawn.
Even when you burn in the country, there is a law that you must notify the fire department before you light it. My neighbor was on the volunteer fire department and was occasionally called out for grass fires that got out of control. My husband was with him during a call and went out to fight the fire. There were snakes crawling out of the field in all directions and hubby was barefoot. Creepy.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of our acres we burn in sections every year-mainly due to this part of our property not being moved and is left more natural. however we need a permit and also to contact either the town or sheriff's dept when we burn. We haven't burned yet this spring but will be done by end of month-things start to be to green by then-we have to be really carefull as we have many trees we have to watch. For my landscaping business I have a torch which uses a small propane cylinder to burn weeds from a sidewalk on a property I maintain. Again I have to be pretty careful in using this piece of equipment.
Sounds like you have a pretty dumb neighbor!! You might also be getting some weeds drifting in from his property (nothing much you cando about that). Does he mow his lawn at all-many municipalities have ordanances about how tall grass can get and could force it to be paid and the homeowner paying the costs.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Two of our acres we burn in sections every year-mainly due to this part of our property not being moved and is left more natural. however we need a permit and also to contact either the town or sheriff's dept when we burn. We haven't burned yet this spring but will be done by end of month-things start to be to green by then-we have to be really carefull as we have many trees we have to watch. For my landscaping business I have a torch which uses a small propane cylinder to burn weeds from a sidewalk on a property I maintain. Again I have to be pretty careful in using this piece of equipment.
Sounds like you have a pretty dumb neighbor!! You might also be getting some weeds drifting in from his property (nothing much you cando about that). Does he mow his lawn at all-many municipalities have ordanances about how tall grass can get and could force it to be paid and the homeowner paying the costs.
I'm not worried about weeds this year. I have about 5 weed treatments coming to me, so that should take care of them. He would mow about every 2 weeks last year up until June when we got our lawn reseeded and then he stopped. I would assume he'll do it this year.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking of fires, just down the road from our place, a guy was burning his yard/field and it did end up catching a trailor and car on fire!! Some people are just so ignorant!!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

I burned brush before at my old house, and there are quite a few regulations you have to follow.

This link may help you know what you rneighbor needs to do:

http://www.mass.gov/portal/gog_cache...=mgov&oe=UTF-8
Those regulations are exactly what I was told, including some things I didn't know. So not only was he breaking the law by not having a permit, and being so close to my house AND his, but he was also breaking the law because you're not allowed to burn grass.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vindication!
I was starting to feel a little miss-prissy for having said I'd call the fire department -- but sure enough, this guy had the nerve to just pretend he had permission! Unbelievable. I'm so glad you called them -- you may have saved both your houses.