My Mom sent me a hummingbird

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Oh, this is wonderful! And maybe the reason they introduce themselves is that they've been sent by friends who told them about the nice redheaded lady who runs a hummingbird restaurant. :-)
I swear, with all of the money I've spent on the special plants and the feeders, I should've taken out a small business loan for the restaurant!
At least the birds like my cooking (I cook up sugar water for the feeders--1 part (white) sugar to 6 parts water; boil for 2 minutes; cool, then pour into the feeder. Clean out the feeder every 2-3 days to prevent a bacteria build-up, which could kill the birds. Also, NEVER use honey or anything except white sugar, unless you buy special nectar. Honey, especially, can kill them).

"Hello, my name is Marge, and I'll be your server tonight. Today's specials are White Sugar Nectar, with a special house sugar sauce; Ruby-Red hummingbird nectar; and may I recommend the hibiscus flower bush on the left? It's my favorite."

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh honey, it looks like you have friends, or (more likely) very small guardian angels!

I had a strange experience with hummingbirds the other day and thought of you. I was at my computer and a motion caught my eye. Not one but TWO hummingbirds were hovering outside my window. Them kept going to the same place and tapping their beaks against the glass (not hard, just a light tapping) and then flying off to the wires or trees, only to come back and start doing it again. Now, my MIL next door has quite a few hummingbird feeders so the do come around her house. Maybe they are telling me "this is where we want OUR feeder"? lol. Or, "Hello!!! Anyone home?? We're hungry!!".

A feeder is in the plans, don't worry!

Anyway, the first thought was Margecat would LOVE this!!

Have you seen this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I noticed a new female at the feeder this morning. She's duller underneath, with a long beak. And she did the standard, "Hi, I'm the new hummingbird in town; pleased to meet you" thing at the window (the new ones, the first time I see them, always hover in front of the window, and stare at me; then they turn their back on me, and feed. They only do this the first time they see me).

Her name is Luna (Spanish for "moon").

So, we're up to a cast of 5 Ruby-Throated hummingbirds:

1. Joya (the first; sadly, I seldom see her anymore)

2. Emerald (female)

3. Marco (male)

4. Ruby (female)

5. Luna (female)