My Kitty’s Tooth Fell Out!

CatTameCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
WARNING: The images I include could make you a little bit grossed out!
My 13 year old Kitty has lost a big canine tooth... He has had teeth extracted before by a veterinarian for his health, and he always has had problems with throwing up a lot.
Me and my mom found out last night about this. He had been licking his mouth and acting funny all day. I had my mom check and she said she found nothing. He did not stop, so after a while she checked a second time, and... she freaks out! She tells me his tooth is “broken” and I start crying because I am so scared. I love this cat with my whole heart! He is always there for me, he is always happy to see me and always sleeps right next to me in my bed at night. My immediate thought is that he is hurt and could die, due to his age.
He’s a healthy and very active Siberian Cat, despite his frequent vomiting and (previously severe prior to extractions, now mild) halitosis. Now what I’m scared of... is infection. I was walking upstairs from being in the garage for a few minutes, and there he was sitting at the top of the staircase, pawing at his mouth. I’m about to tell him to stop, and pet him because when I pet him in his favorite spot he quits. But the tooth falls right in front of me onto the floor before I touch him!
So now I have the tooth at home. I wish I was with him but this all happened at the worst time EVER. I’m on my way to my vacation... Me and my mom stayed up until 5 in the morning, calling so many emergency animal hospitals and they all tell us, they don’t work Sunday hours, they don’t have dental equipment, or it’s WAY too expensive! One said a cleaning starts at 800 dollars! Insane!
So now I need to know... what do I do for my favorite cat in the whole wide world when I get back? Do I start with some gentle cleaning around the likely infected area? Antibiotics? Maybe get him properly cleaned by a good, affordable professional?
(Also don’t worry, we have a kitty sitter that will feed him and check on him and his little adopted sister. I think we may have to switch him to wet food... He has 15 teeth left! )

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
Maybe get him properly cleaned by a good, affordable professional?
Yes. Please :).
His health will be much improved overall by having more healthy teeth.
If you have questions about canned food at that point in time, there are a lot of members here who can provide information about that.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to The Cat Site! Your cat is beautiful, though he needs a better photo :)

Please don’t wait until you get back from vacation to take care of his teeth. The root for that tooth is still there and I’m betting it hurts. Get on the phone and find someone to deal with it. Do you trust the cat sitter? Is there a family member you trust? They can take him to get the root treated or removed. You can negotiate payment on the phone by credit card. I know it’s a lot of trouble but your cat will thank you. And yes, I suspect he needs antibiotics at the very minimum.

Good luck and keep us updated on his progress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatTameCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome to The Cat Site! Your cat is beautiful, though he needs a better photo :)

Please don’t wait until you get back from vacation to take care of his teeth. The root for that tooth is still there and I’m betting it hurts. Get on the phone and find someone to deal with it. Do you trust the cat sitter? Is there a family member you trust? They can take him to get the root treated or removed. You can negotiate payment on the phone by credit card. I know it’s a lot of trouble but your cat will thank you. And yes, I suspect he needs antibiotics at the very minimum.

Good luck and keep us updated on his progress.
Hi! Welcome!!

Yes. Please :).
His health will be much improved overall by having more healthy teeth.
If you have questions about canned food at that point in time, there are a lot of members here who can provide information about that.
Okay! (A little late with my reply, but I just now thought about doing it) We got back from Branson a while ago- I would’ve had someone take him but me and my mom are both aware he is absolutely horrible with car rides, so I assume that’s why my mom didn’t want anyone else to take him. Plus, if we got bad news I would want to be there with him :( He gets so anxious and starts meowing really low and drooling a lot in the car. We’ve tried many things to help him. We took him to the vet immediately when we got back, and thank goodness he is all okay! The vet said there’s no sign of infection, but he should be monitored often. She told us the things we should look out for, and I’m pretty confident that Kitty’s going to be all fine and happy! I’ll be doing an introduction post for both my cats soon! I think you guys will like my other cat, she is very special.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is terrific news, thanks for letting us know :)!
I'm looking forward to your next posts :thumbsup: :cloud9: