My Kitty was just Diagnosed w/ a Tumor in his Lung. What treatment?

erinswing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Follow Cat Lovers,

I was crushed to find out that my tiny Dino-kitty has a fast growing tumor in his lung today. He has lost 2 lbs. in the past 1.5 months. His Calcium levels in his blood is very high, and an x-ray showed the mass. I'm crushed and don't know what to do. I do know that I want his quality of life to be good.

Dino's Vitals:
almost 15 years old neutered male, formally ferile
has Heart Disease, hypotropic cardiomyopathy
begininning stages of Kidney Failure.
bad dental history (wired jaw from decay and only 3 teeth)

Vets Options:
Steriods - risk is adverse reaction w/ his heart (this seems like best option, though)
IV Fluids - high risk, and temporary
Chemotherapy - long and painful

Dino is such a sweet sensitive creature. I just want him happy, like he makes me feel : (

Any advice? Please help. Vet says the sooner the course of action, the better his quality of life.

Thanks and regards,
Erin

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about your Dino-kitty

I lost my girl Roo from a tumor in her sinus in November, she was 16 years old and also hyperthyroid.
At her age the vet said just to make her as comfortable as possible for the time she had left.

I don't think the chemo is a good option considering all of the other health issues you baby has.
I'm sorry I can't be more informative, sending lots of good vibes Dino-kitty's way.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is just my opinion, but especially with a formerly feral kitty, I would go with the steroids. I wouldn't put a 15 year old cat on chemo if it's that painful (of course that's easy for me to say, not having to face that particular problem), and it sounds like the IV treatment is risky and temporary?

It's so hard - is there any way you can try one, and if he really doesn't take to that course of treatment, you can abandon it?

turk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im sorry but I have no idea, but your story saddens me, and i just wish you luck in finding the right treatment to suit your wee fella, and I hope he comes right with no worrys. My heart goes out to you and Dino-kitty.
Good Luck

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you trust your vet, I would go with his recommendations as he knows your boy well.

I am so sorry your going through this - glad you found us though as there is a wealth of knowledge on here and also alot of support

thinking of you & your boy

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww. Poor baby. I would also just try to make him comfortable, maybe steroids would help with that. It sounds like you have given him a very good life and will continue to love him and make him as happy as is possible for the rest of it.
Feel okay soon, Dino!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm very sorry to hear about your Dino kitty. If he were my kitty..I would be tempted to go the steriod route as well. At this point in time you have to be most concerned with comfort and quality of life. My prayers are with you and your furbaby.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww~reading your story brought tears to my eyes
I think steroids would be the best option and just keeping him as comftorable as possible! That would be such a tough decision....I am sending lots of vibes to you and Dino Kitty, and hopefully it will all work out in the end!! *hugs*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erinswing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I just gave Dino his first steroid, and just babysitting him now. He seems to be quietly slipping away. He's so sweet - he just wants to be near me and be warm. I just want his spirits to be up. The vet says he only has a very short amount of time; the tumor in his lung is very aggressive. It's so hard to let go! I don't want to have to make the decision to put him down, either.

xoxo,
Erin & Dino

ps - How do I post his picture? He's the cutest kitty!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're all thinking of poor Dino. If he's really going that fast, then just be with him, and you might not have to make the decision to have him PTS. However, if all he is feeling is pain-- and you will know-- the best thing you can do is let him go peacefully. It will be very hard, but you will know when its the right thing to do.
I think you made the right choice to not make him go through chemo at this point, since all I can see it doing is making him sick.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, but this is so sad, and I send love and prayers.

Originally Posted by kluchetta

This is just my opinion, but especially with a formerly feral kitty, I would go with the steroids. I wouldn't put a 15 year old cat on chemo if it's that painful (of course that's easy for me to say, not having to face that particular problem), and it sounds like the IV treatment is risky and temporary?

It's so hard - is there any way you can try one, and if he really doesn't take to that course of treatment, you can abandon it?