My kitty is sick. Called the vet. Help?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AutumnHaze

Yeah I dont know where she would have gotten the rubber band. I thought I DID kitty-proof the house. But like I said, it could have been under the fridge, under the stove, or the washer and dryer.... it doesnt look like a rubber hair-tie of mine... Mine are thick and dont have metal pieces. The one I found on the floor in pieces is thin... and I dont know whether it has a metal piece or not.

My hubby acts like theres nothing happening to our poor kitty. Hes happy that shes calm. What a JERK!! If Silly doesnt make it, Imma get TWO kitties. Just to make up for Silly!!
Because thats the only way I could cope.
Home remedies are not goint to work if she has a blockage. She will need surgery, and she needs to be at the vet ASAP, or it's going to be too late.

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

My hubby acts like theres nothing happening to our poor kitty. Hes happy that shes calm. What a JERK!! If Silly doesnt make it, Imma get TWO kitties. Just to make up for Silly!!
Because thats the only way I could cope.
If Silly does not make it, please do NOT get another kitty unless your husband changes his attitude. Invariably, cats eventually need some medical care and it would not be right to risk another kitty's life.

I am very, very worried about Silly right now. I hope she made it through the night. When a cat becomes very quiet, it can be that it is very close to death.

Why do bad things so often happen on the weekend? I know that Red Cat had a urinary blockage on the weekend many years ago. I didn't know what was wrong, but by pure chance, already had scheduled a routine appointment for him on that Monday morning. Over the weekend he got sick, and by 4:30 AM Monday, he was so unresponsive that at first I thought he was already dead. When I realized that he was just barely hanging on, I tried to call the emergency vet number and there was no answer! I took him to my regular vet as soon as they opened, and he took him in early and saved him. But he was so close to not making it that I am just worried that Silly might also be that ill.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dear girl, you may have waited to long to help your cat. Cats are strange creatures because they hide their distress very easily. You need to get this cat to the vet NOW.
I agree with the other person whose advice is if your cat dies, you don't need another one unless your husband is in total agreement. In order to provide a good home for a pet, sooner or later it involves paying some vet bills, sometimes lots of them. If you can't do that, then you don't need a pet. Sorry if this advice sounds strong, but it is the truth. When we open our hearts to a pet, it is a lifetime commitment, whatever it takes for the animal.
Meantime lots of us are sending prayers to your little kitty. I sincerely hope it gets well. And we are thinking of you too. It is very hard to watch the pet you love be sick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

autumnhaze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I went to the vet. But he wouldnt see her... because I didnt have the money up front. And I dont have a credit card or checking account of any kind.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your cat will now suffer for lack of funds. I would hawk something at a pawn shop before I would sit and watch my cat become ill before my eyes.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bugaboo1

I agree with the other person whose advice is if your cat dies, you don't need another one unless your husband is in total agreement. In order to provide a good home for a pet, sooner or later it involves paying some vet bills, sometimes lots of them. If you can't do that, then you don't need a pet. Sorry if this advice sounds strong, but it is the truth. When we open our hearts to a pet, it is a lifetime commitment, whatever it takes for the animal.
Meantime lots of us are sending prayers to your little kitty. I sincerely hope it gets well. And we are thinking of you too. It is very hard to watch the pet you love be sick.
Unfortunately pets do cost more than just food. In the last week of Molly's life alone, we spent well more than $1000 on vet bills and testing.

I am saying prayers that somehow your little kitty starts to do a lot better. We woudl all like to see a happy outcome. In the meantime, maybe you should apply for a credit card in case soemthing else happens in the future? It's always good to have one in case of emergencies.

ryobious

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also would pawn something. For the last month my husband and I have done nothing but eat ramen noodles for every meal because we had an emergency with one of our cats. I would sell everything in my house including my wedding ring or engagement ring to save one of them. I had a kitten that was 10 weeks old that started throwing up green all of a sudden and after about an hour she would no longer walk. I rushed her to our vet but she had kidney failure due to a genetic defect. You don't have any family that can help you pay for your cat?? This is just such a shame that this kitty has to suffer at no fault of her own....

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so SAD!!! It is exactly what my cat acted like with an intestinal blockage. They fade right before your eyes, and she won't probably survive another day. Hate to be a downer, but she REALLY needs help.

autumnhaze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I borrowed some cash - The vet really didnt have much to say. He couldnt figure what was wrong with her. But he did give me a digestive system lubricant, and that I need to feed her that as much as possible... just to get her to make some kind of bowel movement. If shes not better by tomorrow, I have to visit again to see what the next step is.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't go back to this vet. Your cat is an emergency case. Did he say she was dehydrated from all the vomiting. Something is wrong with your cat and this vet should have done more. Did he do any tests or anything. I am afraid for your poor little kitty, but I am hoping it will get better. Can you go to another vet.

autumnhaze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, the vet also thinks that there is some kind of blockage.

She was by her litter box when I got up this morning... so perhaps she did use it last night - Im hoping. I didnt see any vomit anywhere when I woke up either. And she hasnt puked up the water or the lubricant yet.

I thank everyone for their prayers and good vibes and well-wishes.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good for you for getting Silly into be seen! I'm really surprised the Vet didn't perform any tests..at the very least bloodwork, or better yet, x-rays. I agree you should seek a second opinion and very soon! Please get well, Silly!

autumnhaze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet said that x-rays wouldnt do much good for this situation unless she swallowed something metallic thats lodged in her digestive system.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The vet said that x-rays wouldnt do much good for this situation unless she swallowed something metallic thats lodged in her digestive system.
Now, I have no experience whatsoever with veterinary radiology, but in human radiology, you'd be able to see any blockage, not just one made of metal. And he didn't run tests?

Please, please, please sek a second opinion. It sounds like this vet leaves less to be desired.

autumnhaze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This vet I go to used to be really good, hes been a vet for 30-some years, Hes the only one Ive EVER taken my animals to see, and Ive never had a pet of my own die on me yet due to illness - my doggy Abigail is nearly 6 years old...wow I cant believe shes that old already.

Im not trying to sell him to you guys, I just mean... Well, he knows what hes doing... or at least I thought he did. His behavior today was different than he used to be, he really didnt seem very concerned. He still talked to my kitty more than he talked to me, but hes always been like that. He gets along with animals way better than humans.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may be able to get her to eat Gerber's baby food - the meat kind (stage 2 or something like that)? They love it, and maybe she's passed the blockage, but if she's drinking that does sound encouraging. My cat was on death's door by about 4 days into the whole thing. She lost about half her body weight.

autumnhaze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

You may be able to get her to eat Gerber's baby food - the meat kind (stage 2 or something like that)? They love it, and maybe she's passed the blockage, but if she's drinking that does sound encouraging. My cat was on death's door by about 4 days into the whole thing. She lost about half her body weight.
Well this is day three... She has lost quite a bit of weight and shes very weak - when she walks around shes kinda wobbly. And this is the first time Ive seen her drink since Friday night. Shes sitting up instead of laying on her tummy (all crouched in) and shes cleaned herself a little bit. So Im feeling a little more optimistic... but I dont want to get my hopes up. Shes puked now since I gave her the lubricant, but none of it was actually the lube itself. It was mostly just water.

Im going to puree some chicken with some broth or maybe some tuna... since shes not really that fond of chicken. Hoping she'll hold it down. Wish me luck

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet palpatate her and take her temperature? My vet could feel the mass, and her temp was elevated. (He suspected a uterine mass, but found the intussuseption when they went in to operate.)

Status
Not open for further replies.