My kitty is sick. Called the vet. Help?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sunnicat brings up an interesting point. You didn't treat Silly with any over the counter flea medications recently, did you? Feel better soon, Silly! Sending you }}}Good Vibes and Prayers{{{ and knowing everyone else is too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

autumnhaze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I havent given her any medications of any kind prior to this. she just had a rubber band for breakfast... but she eats all kinds of stuff she may find on the floor... under the stove.. etc.

This couldnt be some form of worms could it? shes not urinating or pooping.

autumnhaze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet got back from vacation. He told me that I need to get an eyedropper and some kind of nausea relief and force feed her. She does not like the taste of that stuff

I also feed her water with the eyedropper. She wont drink on her own yet, but she doesnt fight me when it comes to being forced to drinking that.

She still wont eat on her own either. But shes not puking nearly as much as she used to. And definitely not green anymore. So thats good news.

Monday Ill see about at appointment.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so relieved to hear it wasn't medication - a lot of people have lost their cats to flea medications that they thought were safe! I think others have suggested using the unflavored Pedialyte (the stuff you give kids with diarrhea) for dehydrated cats, so maybe someone can also recommend that in this situation? I don't want to tell you that for sure in case it wouldn't be a good idea for some reason. G C'mon Silly, keep getting better! Good luck!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AutumnHaze

I havent given her any medications of any kind prior to this. she just had a rubber band for breakfast... but she eats all kinds of stuff she may find on the floor... under the stove.. etc.

This couldnt be some form of worms could it? shes not urinating or pooping.
If she's eating things like rubberbands, she could have a blockage. If she is blocked anti nausea meds won't help. It's really best you take her into the vet tomorrow to be sure she's not blocked.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes not blocked or worse..kitties shouldnt eat rubber bands and hair ties and strings..they can be very dangerous

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, a person really needs to kitty-proof a home, just as you would child-proof it if you had a human youngster able to get into things. Yet as much as we try, things do happen. My first cat, the late Guard Cat, had a blockage and ended up in the hospital. Thankfully, they were able to get the string out with repeated enemas. I was lucky; it might have required surgery. I never did determine where he found the string. Possibly in the garage or outside in his travels.

I would get her to the vet ASAP. It could be serious.

autumnhaze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, she has taken a turn for the worse. After medicating her and feeding her water, she is thinner than she was and puking again. It had been several hours since she puked before this last time

I will definitely take her to the vet tomorrow. My hubby is the main breadwinner in the house. He pays for everything, and even though Im in love with poor dire Silly, he doesnt much care for her. I mean - he likes her, but not enough to pay for surgery... and not for an office visit that will cost more than $50. Thats why Im so insistant on a home remedy. Im going to take her tomorrow whether my hubby knows it or not. Theres nothing he can do when Ive already taken her right?

All today I held her and petted her , force fed her water and some nausea reducer - she didnt try to resist my touch or being fed water, The medicine must have done something good, at least made her more comfortable - cuz shes not meowing or puking nearly as much as she was and I thought she was getting better cuz she didnt throw up for most of the day.

I was SO-hoping that this was perhaps something to do with her teeth falling out (teething), Since she lost her first tooth the night before she got utterly sick. but after 36 hours of this stuff Im sure its much worse than a "stomach flu" or food poisoning.

I feel really sad - I want to hold her close and just make her feel better. Shes been sitting in the same spot in the same position for an hour and a half now. I dont want to lose my kitty. Shes my best friend.

I feel like crying

autumnhaze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I dont know where she would have gotten the rubber band. I thought I DID kitty-proof the house. But like I said, it could have been under the fridge, under the stove, or the washer and dryer.... it doesnt look like a rubber hair-tie of mine... Mine are thick and dont have metal pieces. The one I found on the floor in pieces is thin... and I dont know whether it has a metal piece or not.

My hubby acts like theres nothing happening to our poor kitty. Hes happy that shes calm. What a JERK!! If Silly doesnt make it, Imma get TWO kitties. Just to make up for Silly!!
Because thats the only way I could cope.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is not teething, they do not vomit when they are teething. I don't know what kind of anti-nausea relief you are giving her but if it is for humans it isn't a good idea to dose her. For example Pepto Bismol has a a bad form of aspirin in it that is toxic to kitties- alka selzer will tear up her esphogus.

If you allow her to eat rubber bands, these can easily block a cat- bind about internal organs or can disintegrate inside and become toxic. If she is like a hoover vacuum cleaner cleaning your floor she could have found anything, a pill that rolled under something - a old dead something- please get her to the vet quickly- and until you do make sure she has pediaylte because she is losing electrolytes and other valuable resources she needs- you can make your own the recipe is on www.kitten-rescue.com

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please do get Silly to the Vet immediately, this could be matter of life and death for your little girl! Most Vets will work out a payment plan with you. Please get well, Silly!

autumnhaze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dont worry everyone. She is definitely going to the vet tomorrow, no matter what the "boss" says. Ive saved up $15.. so that will be at least a down payment. I love her more than I love him right now. My reg vet is about two miles away. Its close enough to walk. He was just on vacation.

When I called him earlier he said not to give her salicylate - which pepto bismal contains - and to give her Aluminum or Magnesium hydroxide... for heartburn, sour stomach, and acid indigestion. Just to make her, at least, comfortable until tomorrow. As soon as I get up Im putting her in her "tote", packin the eyedropper, and medication, and some water, and heading out on the half-hour journey.

The only good news is that I havent had to watch her painfully vomit for about 4 hours now - and 6 hours before that (the record) the magnesium and aluminum hydroxide seems to slow it down at least

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're doing the best thing to get Silly to the Vet! I so wish you didn't have to walk to your appt. If your husband doesn't care enough to take you, perhaps a friend would help? Thank you for keeping us updated how your little one is feeling. Please tell precious Silly that Sierra, Serenity and I send her gentle snuggles and hope she feels better really soon!

autumnhaze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will blockage keep her from "doing her business" ?

She hasnt gone potty in a day and a half. Im wondering if this has anything to do with a thread I posted a few days ago about her pooping (not urinating) outside of her litter box in various spots in the house.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by AutumnHaze

Will blockage keep her from "doing her business" ?

Yes.

She hasnt gone potty in a day and a half. Im wondering if this has anything to do with a thread I posted a few days ago about her pooping (not urinating) outside of her litter box in various spots in the house.

Possibly. Sick cats are often doing theirs in other places than in litter.
But my guess it is two different problems.
Sorry. Im pessimistic now. The wait for competent vet is long. Im afraid too long. Am afraid.

slitty_kittay

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

Autumn, Silly really needs to see a vet before tomorrow i would say sweetie

Remember - kitties can sometimes hide pain and illness very well. Just because she seems to have gone a bit quiet does not mean she is feeling good.
I really hope you can sort something out and get this poor baby to the vet asap.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by slitty_kittay

Remember - kitties can sometimes hide pain and illness very well. Just because she seems to have gone a bit quiet does not mean she is feeling good.
Yes of course. She laying still down on stomach, as told before, is not only resting. She is almost 100% sure in pain. But this we do know so why bother to say it aloud?

Look out tills she began purr without being well. Then she has real pains.

Status
Not open for further replies.