My kitty is abnormally sleepy

cynbarrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten, Monkey, is usually a very energetic cat during the day. running around an playing with anything she can find, but the past day or so she has been oddly sleepy. Yesterday she laid around and slept all day, and usually when she sleeps all day she keeps me up all night, but when I brought her to bed around ten she slept the entire night. She did her usual thing this morning when my alarm when off, crawled up to my face sat of me for a little while and purred untill I got up and fed her. 
But I get home form class and she is still sleepy. she is usually very energetic when my boyfriend and I get home, but she has not done that these past few days. 
I'm not too worried, it has only been about 2 days max that she has been behaving like this. But I would like to get some advice. is she Just sleepy cuz shes growing? could she be getting sick? Am I not feeding her enough?? (I feed her a hand full of kitten food twice a day). 

My usually playful Monkey is just very sleepy and if I could bring her back to normal I would love that lol 

let me know what you all think 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It could just be her, she could be ill, or it could be diet related.

Look out for other signs.. going off her food, signs of discomfort.. and take her to the vet if they arise.

But I'd be looking at diet. 

Here's an article for you to look through. 

The nutrition thread here could be really helpful if you would like to read through it or post a question.

You will find many people here are concerned about cats having only dry food as it leads to all sorts of health issues.

It's great that you are noticing how Monkey is behaving and are trying to find answers.  How old is she?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cynbarrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Monkey will be 7 months old on the 2nd. She is my first cat to own by myself, I had 3 cats growing up, but that was like 8 years ago, so I do not remember the stages of their growth, so Im wondering if she is just going threw a growth spirt, and that is making her so sleepy.
I feed her probably a cup to a cup and a half every morning and every night, and usually there is a little bit of food left in her bowl when I feed her again, but sometimes (not often) she'll eat the whole bowl when I give it to her.. So she I don't think she is hungry. I will check out the nutrition page to see if that may be an issue. Though the kitten food I give her is fairly good quality, and I was told by my vet that it is good to keep them on it until they reach one, Is that good advice?

She hasn't given me any other signs of her being sick or anything, not yet anyway. But before I rush her to the vet for no reason and a load of money (I'm sure you understand lol) I want to get some insight for some more experienced cat owners. 

I'm a paranoid cat mother.  

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Cynbarrie, ask over in nutrition, as it's not my area.  But I would consider some wet food.

Out of interest, what are you feeding her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cynbarrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I usually feed her Iams, But before I left for college my mother bought me a huge bag of the Kerkland Brand (Costco Brand) Kitten food, so for about a month now I've been feeding her that. 
I may start feeding the Blue Buffalo brand. I've heard a lot of good things about it, I just wanted to finish off this bag before I buy her a new food.