My kitten is panting?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
rentuna rentuna if you can get a video of him from when he starts playing all the way until he starts panting. This way when you take him to the vet you can show them exactly how hard and how long he is playing and how it looks and how long it lasts.
Yes! Usually our vet asks me to take a video or photo of the things, so she can understand better and see how they are acting at home if there's anything. I'm going to try to record it, it is so difficult because he really has LOTS of energy and does the zoomies without stopping lol but I will try my best to record it all.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi rentuna rentuna
You will never hear me not recommend getting a Vets opinion,with an in person appt... I really don't care how many "experts" will say" oh ,nothing to worry about"-and as you can see,everyone here is in total agreement -so happy to know you are taking the little big guy in❤
However,I will say that it is quite common for kittens under 6 months to pant quite heavily after playing hard-- not only because they are a bit winded but also because of the Jacobsons organ at the roof of their mouth- kittens want try to take in every scent around them,in the immediate vicinity as well as afar..... because of this organ cats actually "smell " through their mouth as well
Now,that's one explanation for young ones who do not yet have tye strength & stamina in their bodies and really don't know when enough is enough like an adult does,instinctively to conserve their energy for hunting....and it a big new world to take in ( smell) BUT unless he has a physical exam you can never say" ooh,that's a good reason " because their can be an underlying condition ....

Anyway,just a little info-my Sami(Bengal) still doesn't know when to quit and as a kitten he panted so hard I thought he was going to have a heart attack- and kittens can overdue it do try to keep him from expending so much energy that he gets to panting that much...... quite a few of my young ones would pant but we play alot around here....

Please keep us posted-I do hope he's just a little energizer bunny that just keeps going hard..... if he turns out to be a Sami you are in for it!lol Like having a forever toddler in the house

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi rentuna rentuna
You will never hear me not recommend getting a Vets opinion,with an in person appt... I really don't care how many "experts" will say" oh ,nothing to worry about"-and as you can see,everyone here is in total agreement -so happy to know you are taking the little big guy in❤
However,I will say that it is quite common for kittens under 6 months to pant quite heavily after playing hard-- not only because they are a bit winded but also because of the Jacobsons organ at the roof of their mouth- kittens want try to take in every scent around them,in the immediate vicinity as well as afar..... because of this organ cats actually "smell " through their mouth as well
Now,that's one explanation for young ones who do not yet have tye strength & stamina in their bodies and really don't know when enough is enough like an adult does,instinctively to conserve their energy for hunting....and it a big new world to take in ( smell) BUT unless he has a physical exam you can never say" ooh,that's a good reason " because their can be an underlying condition ....

Anyway,just a little info-my Sami(Bengal) still doesn't know when to quit and as a kitten he panted so hard I thought he was going to have a heart attack- and kittens can overdue it do try to keep him from expending so much energy that he gets to panting that much...... quite a few of my young ones would pant but we play alot around here....

Please keep us posted-I do hope he's just a little energizer bunny that just keeps going hard..... if he turns out to be a Sami you are in for it!lol Like having a forever toddler in the house
Thank you really !!! I did not know about this organ! I have high hopes that he's totally alright , just an energy bomb :woohoo:

I'll be updating the post as soon as we know what our vet says ! :crossfingers:
I really hope it's nothing serious !

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you really !!! I did not know about this organ! I have high hopes that he's totally alright , just an energy bomb :woohoo:

I'll be updating the post as soon as we know what our vet says ! :crossfingers:
I really hope it's nothing serious !
Me too,cheering you on and prayers for the lil guy..... what's his name? Do include some photos,that would be wonderful!

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey all! I've been a little absent with the update because of my health issues but we visited the vet on Tuesday! They checked him, so far everything looks good. They advised that we should get a friend for him.
They told us that right now it is normal he's panting after playtime. We are going in hopefully next time to neuter him, they will do blood tests then too, and will see how he is by then.
Vets here really want us to keep feeding him more dry food but I am really uncomfortable with this decision.. I don't want to do anything bad but I feel like lots of dry food isn't too good for his kidneys in the long run.
Also before neutering , they will do some blood tests for feline illnesses. Normally they do not do this, but I asked them, so we can see if he has anything.
But for now, heart and blood are good luckily. I hope it stays like this.
I put in some photos ( he is anything but photogenic:cool2: ) and BTW his name is Diego! We took the idea from ice age :gingercat2:

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's adorable,just a real little cutie pie..... I love his name,Diego is one cool sabertooth!!!!!Good pick!lol
Thanks !!! :biggrin:
He is cool like Diego in ice age :lol:
But seriously, he is really cute little guy but he's a terror 🤣 he keeps our senior doggo In terror. I really think a little friend will be a good decision for him. (Hopefully lol)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey all! I've been a little absent with the update because of my health issues but we visited the vet on Tuesday! They checked him, so far everything looks good. They advised that we should get a friend for him.
They told us that right now it is normal he's panting after playtime. We are going in hopefully next time to neuter him, they will do blood tests then too, and will see how he is by then.
Vets here really want us to keep feeding him more dry food but I am really uncomfortable with this decision.. I don't want to do anything bad but I feel like lots of dry food isn't too good for his kidneys in the long run.
Also before neutering , they will do some blood tests for feline illnesses. Normally they do not do this, but I asked them, so we can see if he has anything.
But for now, heart and blood are good luckily. I hope it stays like this.
I put in some photos ( he is anything but photogenic:cool2: ) and BTW his name is Diego! We took the idea from ice age :gingercat2:
Whew! So relieved to hear that Diego's heart sounds good.

So far, my understanding from actual studies is that dry food causing health issues is inconclusive. Dry foods and risk of disease in cats

If you're feeding mostly wet and adding some extra water, then for most cats you can feed a portion of dry food. Some active cats need it to keep their weight up.

I'd recommend something of a size that your cat will crunch.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Whew! So relieved to hear that Diego's heart sounds good.

So far, my understanding from actual studies is that dry food causing health issues is inconclusive. Dry foods and risk of disease in cats

If you're feeding mostly wet and adding some extra water, then for most cats you can feed a portion of dry food. Some active cats need it to keep their weight up.

I'd recommend something of a size that your cat will crunch.
Funny you should mention this study....

My Cheech RIP was diagnosed diabetic quite young,that boy wouldn't eat wet food if it was the last thing on earth( tried everything) And fish,hated the smell of it...... he lived almost to his 19th birthday.I blamed myself for not giving him a wet diet & my Vet said" He was 19!!!he would not have lived a day longer on a wet diet"

Since my Cheech everyone gets both wet and dry,it just makes good sense but there are pros and cons for both commercial foods,I think the best we can do is our due diligence in their ingredients if we don't prepare all natural foods..... there's alot of good,nutritional foods out there to choose from ,imo

Good video-thank you for sharing👍😘

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Its the carbohydrates in the dry food that are bad for cats. Check out the site Catinfo.org. it goes into great detail about the benefits of canned over dry and the lack of schooling that veterinarians are given regarding diets.