My kitten is panting?!

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! You are all so nice :hearthrob:

So I have already made a post about this little fella being \ playing aggersively. I am trying my best to train this little guy and it is slowly working.
BUT now we have this issue?! I have no idea about this! This little fella started panting! So far, I was looking at him to see the "pattern" and its meantime and after playtime. He plays rough and does the zoomies without stopping, the he starts panting, he looks tired but he does not stop playing. When I see him like this, I stop his playtime and separate him, and let him rest. While he is resting,sleeping,eating etc he is NOT panting at all. He uses the litter box perfectly, drinks ok and has a huge appetite (he is also huge already lol)
But I have no idea is this is a concern or not! As I observed, as touching him , he is not in pain,but they hide it so well even when they are in pain...:cold: I hope it is not the case. I do not have much experience with kittens this young, so I hope you allhave som advice. If anything, and it is not OK, I will take him today to the vet. Thank you!!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi! You are all so nice :hearthrob:

So I have already made a post about this little fella being \ playing aggersively. I am trying my best to train this little guy and it is slowly working.
BUT now we have this issue?! I have no idea about this! This little fella started panting! So far, I was looking at him to see the "pattern" and its meantime and after playtime. He plays rough and does the zoomies without stopping, the he starts panting, he looks tired but he does not stop playing. When I see him like this, I stop his playtime and separate him, and let him rest. While he is resting,sleeping,eating etc he is NOT panting at all. He uses the litter box perfectly, drinks ok and has a huge appetite (he is also huge already lol)
But I have no idea is this is a concern or not! As I observed, as touching him , he is not in pain,but they hide it so well even when they are in pain...:cold: I hope it is not the case. I do not have much experience with kittens this young, so I hope you allhave som advice. If anything, and it is not OK, I will take him today to the vet. Thank you!!
Hi there, as a kitten, they play hard and also they are still young, probably the heart and stamina are not in the very fit state and even if they are, playing hard will also cause them to pant. If there are no injuries, then it's less worrisome.

If he's panting and after awhile he stops, it's ok. As long as he does not look like he's gasping for air and going into a seizure, he should be fine.
I remember when my boy was very young then, he plays very hard and he does pant and rest.

Always look out for any abnormalities and get your cat to the vet ASAP if you notice any.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
t
Hi there, as a kitten, they play hard and also they are still young, probably the heart and stamina are not in the very fit state and even if they are, playing hard will also cause them to pant. If there are no injuries, then it's less worrisome.

If he's panting and after awhile he stops, it's ok. As long as he does not look like he's gasping for air and going into a seizure, he should be fine.
I remember when my boy was very young then, he plays very hard and he does pant and rest.

Always look out for any abnormalities and get your cat to the vet ASAP if you notice any.
thank you!!!! I was hoping that if it is only with playtime, maybe it is ok.
I did not see any abnormalities yet, he eat and drinks very well.. he has dryfood and wetfood, he indeed drinks a lot,but also pees a lot because of it. Also he is in good weight and is HUGE, cuz eats alot. But I guess he is a bigger type of cat and is still a kitten and in growing,it is ok?!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
t

thank you!!!! I was hoping that if it is only with playtime, maybe it is ok.
I did not see any abnormalities yet, he eat and drinks very well.. he has dryfood and wetfood, he indeed drinks a lot,but also pees a lot because of it. Also he is in good weight and is HUGE, cuz eats alot. But I guess he is a bigger type of cat and is still a kitten and in growing,it is ok?!
B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

How old is he now? It's good that he drinks a lot of water. A male cat should be drinking lots of water so that he won't get UTI so easily. Also make sure he pees much and also when he pees, you hear a gushing sound and if you hear that, it's unlikely he's block.

A make cat is alway bigger in size and heavier than female cats.

A kitten of normal breed takes one year to reach maturity and at 7 months old, his adult teeth will all be in. Is ne neutered or are you going to get him neutered? An article for you to read : - spay and neuter

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
View attachment 457416

How old is he now? It's good that he drinks a lot of water. A male cat should be drinking lots of water so that he won't get UTI so easily. Also make sure he pees much and also when he pees, you hear a gushing sound and if you hear that, it's unlikely he's block.

A make cat is alway bigger in size and heavier than female cats.

A kitten of normal breed takes one year to reach maturity and at 7 months old, his adult teeth will all be in. Is ne neutered or are you going to get him neutered? An article for you to read : - spay and neuter
We don't know surely, he is around 4-5 months old ! He was separated from his mother and was bottle fed for a little while and then we adopted him.
I do not think he's blocked ! Hopefully he won't get an urinary blockage. Our previous cat had a long journey with UTI and blockage and then kidney failure, he was my little sweetheart I swear I never loved any cat the way I loved him...it was such a special bond, he had his front legs amputated when we adopted him, after a guy found him hit on the streets...he passed away not long ago because the vets here weren't able to diagnose his kidney stones....they left me with a really bitter taste...

So I really Really hope this little fella will not have these type of issues :bawling:
He is not neutered yet, but we want to get him fixed.
I am afraid because our previous cat fell into kidney failure,after we got him fixed.. so I am really scared of the entire thing but we have to get him fixed, so little guy can be calm and feeling OK.
Here, they neuter from 6 months old, some only after they are past 2 years old. Our vet told us we should wait till he gets around 6 months and then we can bring him to get him fixed. Theoretically we can bring him in around a month or two for the procedure.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We don't know surely, he is around 4-5 months old ! He was separated from his mother and was bottle fed for a little while and then we adopted him.
I do not think he's blocked ! Hopefully he won't get an urinary blockage. Our previous cat had a long journey with UTI and blockage and then kidney failure, he was my little sweetheart I swear I never loved any cat the way I loved him...it was such a special bond, he had his front legs amputated when we adopted him, after a guy found him hit on the streets...he passed away not long ago because the vets here weren't able to diagnose his kidney stones....they left me with a really bitter taste...

So I really Really hope this little fella will not have these type of issues :bawling:
He is not neutered yet, but we want to get him fixed.
I am afraid because our previous cat fell into kidney failure,after we got him fixed.. so I am really scared of the entire thing but we have to get him fixed, so little guy can be calm and feeling OK.
Here, they neuter from 6 months old, some only after they are past 2 years old. Our vet told us we should wait till he gets around 6 months and then we can bring him to get him fixed. Theoretically we can bring him in around a month or two for the procedure.
So sorry to hear about your previous cat :alright:

Looking at the way this boy pee, I don't think he's block. I'm just saying that it's good that he's drinking lots and peeing lots. Yea, 6 - 7 months is a good time to neuter him.

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about your previous cat :alright:

Looking at the way this boy pee, I don't think he's block. I'm just saying that it's good that he's drinking lots and peeing lots. Yea, 6 - 7 months is a good time to neuter him.
Okay! It's good then ! I do not have much experience with kittens this young.
I was afraid of kidney failure but then I was like is it at all possible for a young kitten to get kidney failure .. I'm just afraid by now :cringe:

I'm glad it is okay that he pees and drinks a lot !!
I'm glad also that 6 months is OK, I have read that it is possible to get them fixed like at 2 -3 months old ?! I never knew about it, in my country they do not accept animals that young for neutering so it was a new thing for me to hear that!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Okay! It's good then ! I do not have much experience with kittens this young.
I was afraid of kidney failure but then I was like is it at all possible for a young kitten to get kidney failure .. I'm just afraid by now :cringe:

I'm glad it is okay that he pees and drinks a lot !!
I'm glad also that 6 months is OK, I have read that it is possible to get them fixed like at 2 -3 months old ?! I never knew about it, in my country they do not accept animals that young for neutering so it was a new thing for me to hear that!
My vet does neutering at 7 months. Some countries does it much earlier when they are young.

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet does neutering at 7 months. Some countries does it much earlier when they are young.
yes! I did not know about it up until now ! Here too,starts from 6-7 months and can go up till 2 years if with conditions etc! I hope everything will go smoothly for little Diego :runningcat: Thank you !!

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
Once he stops playing and is panting how long is it before the panting subsides?
I did not measure it in time, but as I see he's tired and panting from zoomies and playing , I separate him to rest, and almost immediately as he stops playing and strats resting, the panting is gone.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm going to play devils advocate here and say get your vet to listen to his heart.

Magnus's heart murmur was the same symptoms and he stopped panting after a few moments if we stopped playing. He doesn't pant anymore during play; he stopped at 1 year old but the murmur is still there. He has a very small heart murmur, the vet said she struggles to even call it a level 1. He took taurine while he was growing to stop it from worsening. He has no heart failure.

At 3, they haven't heard it. He was at the emergency vet the other day and the tech didn't note a murmur either.

Best to know if it is a very mild murmur and get him on taurine suppliments. I don't think kittens panting is normal.

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going to play devils advocate here and say get your vet to listen to his heart.

Magnus's heart murmur was the same symptoms and he stopped panting after a few moments if we stopped playing. He doesn't pant anymore during play; he stopped at 1 year old but the murmur is still there. He has a very small heart murmur, the vet said she struggles to even call it a level 1. He took taurine while he was growing to stop it from worsening. He has no heart failure.

At 3, they haven't heard it. He was at the emergency vet the other day and the tech didn't note a murmur either.

Best to know if it is a very mild murmur and get him on taurine suppliments. I don't think kittens panting is normal.
Thank you! I contacted our vet today, just in case so I can calm down entirely but I couldn't reach her. I left her a message and waiting for her to reply. I hope things are OK though.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Make an appointment with the vet for an exam and talk to them about this before you have him neutered. What I mean by this is actually have an office call/exam first, then schedule the appointment as opposed to discussing it with the staff.
My cat would pant with play as a kitten ( 4 months) but she has asthma and a heart murmer.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you! I contacted our vet today, just in case so I can calm down entirely but I couldn't reach her. I left her a message and waiting for her to reply. I hope things are OK though.
You'll need an exam to know for sure. The vet won't know over the phone.

It could be normal and no cause for concern, but if it isn't and you don't get an exam, you won't know until you have an emergency that it was cause for concern.

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Make an appointment with the vet for an exam and talk to them about this before you have him neutered. What I mean by this is actually have an office call/exam first, then schedule the appointment as opposed to discussing it with the staff.
My cat would pant with play as a kitten ( 4 months) but she has asthma and a heart murmer.
Yes! I contacted our vet yesterday, she is on pto but coming back from Tuesday and we can bring Diego in . I hope things will be OK.

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
You'll need an exam to know for sure. The vet won't know over the phone.

It could be normal and no cause for concern, but if it isn't and you don't get an exam, you won't know until you have an emergency that it was cause for concern.
Yes. That's why I contacted our vet yesterday. I have her private number but she's on pto till Tuesday, and agreed we bring Diego in when she's back.
There are other vets in the city, this vet is the one in the next city, who diagnosed our Luke right ... we trust her so we usually wait for her (when it's possible, if it's an emergency unfortunately we are needed to go to one of them in our city, but except 2...they aren't professionals at all, our senior dog fell sick too, was at the emergency a few times and they told us things..that weren't even there -exactly like with Luke..its dangerous ). So we are waiting now for her to get back to work so she can see Diego!