My Kitten Is 7 Months Old And She's Pregnant. Will She Be Ok?

Dheeksha

Black Cats are full of love ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hello! My kitten is probably 7 months or older. I adopted her about one and a half month ago. I don't know that she was pregnant. I had no idea. she's tiny. she's meowing excessively now-a-days ... so I checked her and realized she is pregnant. I guess it is too late to have an abortion. What should I do now? will she be alright? I'm very worried

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she hasn't already, you should see a vet to confirm pregnancy and get a good guess on how far along she is. If she is pregnant and the vet recommends spaying her I would do that. Young kittens having kittens rarely goes smoothly and it would be better, IMO, to take that option.

Assuming the vet is unable to or you have a personal moral objection, you will need to make sure you have everything on hand to help with the kittens. You will have to watch her as sometimes young mom cats don't understand that their kittens aren't toys or how to care for them. This includes a scale to take daily weights to ensure they are eating enough. KMR or goats milk along with bottles and syringes to take over or supplement feedings. A warming pad to keep the kittens warm if she doesn't. Safe wipes to stimulate with if she doesn't. Also know where your nearest 24 hour vet is in case something goes wrong with the birth.

It isn't to say every young mom has problems. Some do great, but younger kittens are more at risk for having complications not only with their pregnancy but also after birth.

If she isn't pregnant, schedule her spay now to prevent it. If she is and you are keeping the litter, schedule her spay for three months out. Remember that cats can get pregnant again almost immediately after giving birth so if you have any intact males do not let them around her (or get them neutered) and do not let her outside until she is spayed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going to take her to the vet tomorrow. I adopted her about one and a half month ago. So I thought she might have got pregnant before I brought her home. She's meowing a lot. Might be she's in her last stage of pregnancy. Anyway, the vet will confirm it tomorrow. I'm worried whether she can have safe delivery or not. She's a kitten herself. will she be alright?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm going to take her to the vet tomorrow. I adopted her about one and a half month ago. So I thought she might have got pregnant before I brought her home. She's meowing a lot. Might be she's in her last stage of pregnancy. Anyway, the vet will confirm it tomorrow. I'm worried whether she can have safe delivery or not. She's a kitten herself. will she be alright?
The risk to her is only slightly higher then an adult. Problems for kittens having kittens tend to be small litters, miscarriage, or still birth. Assuming the birth goes well then the risk becomes that Mom doesn't understand how to care for them. Hormones might get her through the first few weeks but I have heard of younger mom's thinking their kittens are toys or not wanting to care for them. That's why you'd want to have everything on hand to take over their care.

A kitchen scale and logging baby weights is critical. Along with bottles and formula in case any kittens aren't gaining weight.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You say she is meowing a lot. But is she also putting her butt in the air while she's meowing? If so, it is probably just a heat cycle.
Let us know what the vet says. I agree with Kieka Kieka , if she is only 6 weeks pregnant, it may be best to abort.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
You say she is meowing a lot. But is she also putting her butt in the air while she's meowing? If so, it is probably just a heat cycle.
Let us know what the vet says. I agree with Kieka Kieka , if she is only 6 weeks pregnant, it may be best to abort.
Her stomach looks little bulgy. I touched her stomach it's hard. If she's pregnant she's definitely more than 6 weeks pregnant.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she hasn't already, you should see a vet to confirm pregnancy and get a good guess on how far along she is. If she is pregnant and the vet recommends spaying her I would do that. Young kittens having kittens rarely goes smoothly and it would be better, IMO, to take that option.

Assuming the vet is unable to or you have a personal moral objection, you will need to make sure you have everything on hand to help with the kittens. You will have to watch her as sometimes young mom cats don't understand that their kittens aren't toys or how to care for them. This includes a scale to take daily weights to ensure they are eating enough. KMR or goats milk along with bottles and syringes to take over or supplement feedings. A warming pad to keep the kittens warm if she doesn't. Safe wipes to stimulate with if she doesn't. Also know where your nearest 24 hour vet is in case something goes wrong with the birth.

It isn't to say every young mom has problems. Some do great, but younger kittens are more at risk for having complications not only with their pregnancy but also after birth.

If she isn't pregnant, schedule her spay now to prevent it. If she is and you are keeping the litter, schedule her spay for three months out. Remember that cats can get pregnant again almost immediately after giving birth so if you have any intact males do not let them around her (or get them neutered) and do not let her outside until she is spayed.
She's bleeding from her vagina. I don't know what to do... It's night now

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Then she probably is. Can you feel any movement if you keep your hand on her belly for a while?
She's bleeding from her vagina. I don't know what to do... It's night now

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
How much is she bleeding?

Call your vets office, most will have a message saying who to call in an emergency.
I can see just a drop mixed with fluid near her vagina.
vet's office is closed now. He'll come to the hospital tomorrow after 9:30 a.m.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it is just a little, monitor her for now. Make sure she has access to food, water and is comfortable. I would take her in first thing tomorrow to check on her.

Do you have any photos of her? Not her rear, but just her body so we can maybe see if she looks pregnant.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it is just a little, monitor her for now. Make sure she has access to food, water and is comfortable. I would take her in first thing tomorrow to check on her.

Do you have any photos of her? Not her rear, but just her body so we can maybe see if she looks pregnant.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise