My gf won't move in, cause I don't like her cats :-(

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I suspected Vmax71 hasn't responded since 2nd page of this thread...........But I have to give it up to him for looking into advice and posting the thread!

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just in case he comes back, I'm going to offer my two cents .....well, with the recession, might just be one, lol!

I have to give you points for looking for answers to your problem(s), and there's no one answer that is right for everyone, but do you know what I would do if I were you? Help your gf with her expenses where she lives for awhile, and find a psychiatrist or related mental health worker who can help you with the "neat-freak-worry-about-all-my-stuff" issues. I'm not saying this out of dislike or contempt, but it can be helped, and besides, what happens if you have kids? Unlike cats, they have opposable thumbs and can grab things to pull them off the shelf....whereas I've seen a grown cat weave his way through a Princess House Crystal display and never knock a thing over........admittedly, that almost caused ME to have a heart attack, lol!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKrazy

Just in case he comes back, I'm going to offer my two cents .....well, with the recession, might just be one, lol!

I have to give you points for looking for answers to your problem(s), and there's no one answer that is right for everyone, but do you know what I would do if I were you? Help your gf with her expenses where she lives for awhile, and find a psychiatrist or related mental health worker who can help you with the "neat-freak-worry-about-all-my-stuff" issues. I'm not saying this out of dislike or contempt, but it can be helped, and besides, what happens if you have kids? Unlike cats, they have opposable thumbs and can grab things to pull them off the shelf....whereas I've seen a grown cat weave his way through a Princess House Crystal display and never knock a thing over........admittedly, that almost caused ME to have a heart attack, lol!
Great responses
I hope the OP returns and reads them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vmax71

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone, Happy New Year to all!

thanks for all those replies, .. wow...there is some great advice I have been getting.

Well... first off, i went to buy a can of Ssscat.... wow... that stuff is great. My gf agreed that she didn't want the cats on her TV/Fish bowl area... So we set up the ssscat .... and after 20mins, while we were in the kitchen... one of the cats set off the spray.... and the cat went running out of the room.... we both found it funny, and as my gf went towards the TV, the ssscat sprayed her, and she jumped, oh man that was even more funny.

Ok, so I have been making a very big effort with the cats, and I think they sense this. The cats will now stay around me, and one of them will even roll over when i tell her to. I could make her roll over repeatedly. Thas was pretty cool. But i think i have to go to the Dr. and see if i have allergies, cause when the cats come brushing around me, i start to sneeze and my eyes become watery.

anyway, I know I will have to make some serious changes in my...or .."our" home if she moves in, but... its not going to be easy for me but I will try, i have no choice, i love her very much.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
a good way to have the cat associate you w/good things is to feed them [put their plates on, in other words] a t-shirt that you've worked out in [gotten good & smelly!]. that way, your scent is associated w/food - something they like. you could also give treats on the t-shirt.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vmax71

thanks for all those replies, .. wow...there is some great advice I have been getting.

Well... first off, i went to buy a can of Ssscat.... wow... that stuff is great. My gf agreed that she didn't want the cats on her TV/Fish bowl area... So we set up the ssscat .... and after 20mins, while we were in the kitchen... one of the cats set off the spray.... and the cat went running out of the room.... we both found it funny, and as my gf went towards the TV, the ssscat sprayed her, and she jumped, oh man that was even more funny.

Ok, so I have been making a very big effort with the cats, and I think they sense this. The cats will now stay around me, and one of them will even roll over when i tell her to. I could make her roll over repeatedly. Thas was pretty cool. But i think i have to go to the Dr. and see if i have allergies, cause when the cats come brushing around me, i start to sneeze and my eyes become watery.

anyway, I know I will have to make some serious changes in my...or .."our" home if she moves in, but... its not going to be easy for me but I will try, i have no choice, i love her very much.
Happy New Year to you to! This is great that you are connecting with them. As far as allergies, you are not alone! There are many generic allergy medications that will help. A simple fact about cats, they are gods, versus dogs who look at us as gods!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vmax71

Yay, Vmax! Happy New Year to you, too!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are a great guy to make such an effort. Yes, do see a doc about the allergies, or maybe just try some OTC allergie med to see if they work. I recommend Tavist. Not tavist D, just Tavist. It works for me with fragrance related allergies. IF that doesn't work, try claritin, or something else.
If they fail, go to the doc, and see what rx he recommends. Happy new year!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope things work out, but IMO I would not be using that spray too much. It could make them very paranoid and skittish.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Hope things work out, but IMO I would not be using that spray too much. It could make them very paranoid and skittish.
It's what we use and it's fine - it only sprays when they jump on the table, and it also beeps. You change the setting after a while so it only beeps, so the cat puts a paw up on the table, it beeps, and they eye the can and take their paw back off the table
It's harmless and effective for reconditioning their behaviour.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

It's what we use and it's fine - it only sprays when they jump on the table, and it also beeps. You change the setting after a while so it only beeps, so the cat puts a paw up on the table, it beeps, and they eye the can and take their paw back off the table
It's harmless and effective for reconditioning their behaviour.
I've never heard of that stuff: where can you get it?
I'd like to try using it to keep the kiddos off the counters...

Happy New Year to you too, Vmax!
I'm glad to hear that you're making an effort to accept & live with the cats, and I hope all goes well.
I think you'll be able to control your allergies to them, if you make an appt. with your doctor and have some allergy tests done. Kudos to you for making an effort, and loving your g/f enough to accept her for who she is.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

here you go! Ssscat
don't know if you can get it locally where you are, or not, tho...

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

They have it in my local pet store
There's other brands that are just as good.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

here you go! Ssscat
don't know if you can get it locally where you are, or not, tho...
Originally Posted by sarahp

They have it in my local pet store There's other brands that are just as good
Originally Posted by cococat

petmarts carries them. Here is sss cat while working: http://www.ssscat.com/
Thanks, y'all!
I'll have to check it out. The kittens still aren't obeying the counter "rules".