My Foster Cat Is Pregnant

jasminstanley88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone this is my first time here and first time ever having a cat she was a stray I found wondering my street for a couple months(she's very sweet and lovable) I finally took her into my home about 3-4 days ago when I noticed she was pregnant well I'm pretty sure she is anyway...I just have a few questions and any advice or opinion would be greatly appreciated...since I've brought her in she's been very relaxed and comfortable with her new surrounding but my concerns with her are her moods and the way she acts from time to time...the most recent concern I have is normally she let's me rub her belly she'll lay on her stomach I'll pet her and she'll roll over to let me rub her but a few times now when she's rolled over to let me rub her belly she's hissed and actually nipped at me is that normal? Is it hurting her cause she may be in pain? Also she's been wagging her tail A LOT especially when you rub her sides is there any reason why her tail activity has picked up? She also has been laying on a certain spot on the floor by my bed could that be a sign of nesting even tho I have a box with blankets out for her? I don't know how far along she is but I'm assuming she's close to delivering I've seen and felt the babies move and she does have milk coming out of her nipples but I don't know if it's possibly a false pregnancy I unfortunately don't have the funds to take her to a vet so please anything for me as far as advice or opinions go would be greatly appreciated :-)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds pregnant from your description. Good you've set up a nest for her. She is hissing to let you know that she doesn't want her tummy rubbed right now. She sounds very happy and content to be in your home. If you've felt the kittens move, she likely has another week to go. Be sure and give her plenty of kitten chow and wet food for nutrition, and thanks for taking her in. Welcome to the forum, and continue posting your questions! It is a waiting game when they get near the end of the pregnancy! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasminstanley88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much!! I actually just woke up to her scratching at the box I made for her and ruffling the blankets up. I straightened them out when to the bathroom came back in and the blankets are moved again. Her belly is sticking out still. I've read when the babies drop she'll look small again. Is that true? She's a very small cat but definitely blown up now but from what I see I don't think she'll have anymore than 4 kittens. She's had plenty of kitten dry and wet food and water out. I leave it out all day and replace it when it's low. I will keep you updated and post pics when I can get pics of her

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is absolutely beautiful! Yes, when she drops, she will look smaller. That's usually a couple of days before delivery when the kittens are moving into the birth canal. Just let her fix her blankets however she likes them for her nest. Everything sounds very good and normal. :)

jasminstanley88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's very beautiful. I've never really been big on cats but she stole my heart. The first time I ever saw her is when my 3yr old son saw her and she walked up to him. I swear they had an instant bond. She followed him around like she was his security guard. She's just very sleepy and goes from her box to a spot on the floor. When I go to bed she'll lay with me for a little bit then go down to the floor next to my bed. Should I make a secondary box for her near my bed? I'm a little nervous for when the time comes she'll try having the kittens on my bed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It never hurts to have more than one nesting spot set up. After the kittens are born the family can always be moved if she has them in an unusual spot. You may want to cover your bed with an old blanket or such just in case!

That's a sweet story about your son. She sounds like a very sweet cat. They sleep a lot when nearing term. The body is working hard to prepare for birth.

Last edited:

jasminstanley88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good idea. I have plenty of old blankets lying around. I'm just very nervous. This is my first time having a cat around and I've never had to deal with having a birth happen except my own of course lol I just wanna make sure everything goes right for her I don't know what I'd do if anything were to go wrong

jasminstanley88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for the bottom teats the ones closest to the vagina to be swollen?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Swollen how? As in bags of milk? Or inflamed as in mastitis?

jasminstanley88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I honestly don't know...they seem a little hard but still soft at the same time none of the others are like that

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do they seem to bother her? It may be that those are the first to be filling with milk. Are there bits of white on the tips? You would know if it's mastitis because it would be really red and puffy and she would be miserable.

jasminstanley88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually in the pic if her on her side showing the teats you can see the bottom one closest to the vagina closest to the bed the swelling...both the bottoms are like that it doesn't seem to bother her when she let's me rub her belly she doesn't moan or cry or anything like that but she does excessively wag her tail when you rub her tummy and sides

jasminstanley88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it's maybe just filling up with milk at this point cause they're not red and don't seem to bother her and I don't see any bits of white on the tips

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay. It's hard for me to tell on my phone screen, but often the milk begins to come in before delivery. The white crust would be dried milk if she starts to leak, which is common. If she's acting ok then I wouldn't worry.

jasminstanley88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has discharge and keeps licking herself I believe she's having them now her contractions seem close she's been pushing for some time now

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yay! This is exciting! It was definitely her milk coming in then! Keep us posted!