My Foster Adventure

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
My daughter has a cat that does that when he does not get enough play time. It is misplaced aggression - he has a superhigh play drive and gets bored easily. He also needs lots of mental stimulation which is difficult because the kitties have to live in my daughter's room, although it is large; I take him with me to the bathroom to sniff around. I like to give him laser toy play. And he definitely gets correction via annoying "AAAchh" sounds followed by a stern, calm "claw control!". If you observe the kittens playing, you can see which sounds they use successfully to warn the other that they are playing too rough.
There are good episodes of "My Cat From Hell" where Jackson Galaxy addresses that type of behavior.
Because of her seizures, I would try for a vet check, in case it is neurological. A vet check is always optimal but for us folks in rural areas, especially those in underfunded cat rescue situations, that is not practical. And if she is not yet spayed, it could be hormonal - kittens that are only 15 weeks old can go into season!
She is fixed, but that does sound more like Didymus. I'll make sure to play with her more so I'm not attacked again.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it's been a while since I gave an update, but I'm still here. I found out that the woman I got the fosters from was taking cats to her made up foster group, keeping their pledge money, and then putting them on to other people (like me) to foster them. I contacted the foster group she was saying she owned (which she doesn't) and I've gotten lots of help from them. They've given me litter, food, and got the kittens their baby shots (distemper). We're working on getting mama fixed next week and then getting them adopted out. All of the cats, mine and the fosters, are sick at the moment. Sneezing and runny noses, but the owner of the foster group is gonna bring me some medicine for that.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
What’s happening now? I have had you and the kitties on my mind. I hope things are progressing and much better.
They are. I can't tell you how much relief this has given me. While the veteranarian said they looked awesome, I still felt like I wasn't giving them enough. The foster group is giving me bags of purina one and giving me tips on how to mix pate to make it really nutritious for them. She said I'd start seeing a big difference in their coats and in the litter box.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fantastic news! I am so glad that things switched around for you all. Once this fostering is done I can picture you teaching others about mixing Pate! :)
I want to volunteer somewhere. The foster group that's helping is a senior cat sanctuary which sounds adorable, grumpy old cats laying around. But I don't think I'll be fostering again. This was way too much in the beginning, I don't want to be in that situation again.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to volunteer somewhere. The foster group that's helping is a senior cat sanctuary which sounds adorable, grumpy old cats laying around. But I don't think I'll be fostering again. This was way too much in the beginning, I don't want to be in that situation again.
I know what you mean! :alright:All my sympathy/empathy is right there with you. I know you would be very valuable as a volunteer. Any path you choose is bound to be a good one. :clap2::heartshape::rock:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's great news! I'm glad you're finally getting some of the help you need with the cats.

I can't believe that original foster woman! Taking money from people to care for kittens and then dumping the kittens on other people! And keeping the money!!!

:noway:

She's stealing from sick, homeless kittens !?!?! How can these people do it?

I think it's amazing that you still want to volunteer after all this. You really were thrown in at the deep end, you had to cope with much more than many of us could have dealt with.

It's a real credit to you that the vet thinks the kittens look so good.

Hanging out with grumpy old senior cats sounds like it will be a nice change.

:sleepycat::lovecat:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lil Dude Lil Dude I thought you might be able to share your knowledge with someone who just rescued a kitty with an upset tummy. The kitty has a red bottom from diarrhea and I know you went through that with the kittens. I tagged you on her thread to see if you could give her a little help. This is a grown kitty. I know you are busy but this is something you have experienced and she can’t get the kitty to the vet until Tuesday or Thursday. Ouch! Raw bottom!

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I suppose you want an update. The foster group that was helping me has been a tremendous help. Every single one of my cats have been fixed; fosters and my personal cats. And since of course, I couldn't pay for that, I'm doing volunteer work at their shelter to pay it off. It's day two and I'm pretty close to memorizing the many names of their cats. Here's two of their cats, Baboo and Jacks (I think this is Jacks). Baboo has the most beautiful eyes.
20190124_165626.jpg
20190124_170842.jpg

The woman who helped me out with the foster group adopted two of the fosters for herself, Randy and Whiny baby. Bengal Bango turned out to be a girl, named Mila now. She found a good forever home. Two of my own cats got forever homes as well. So the numbers just keep going down.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lil Dude Lil Dude I thought you might be able to share your knowledge with someone who just rescued a kitty with an upset tummy. The kitty has a red bottom from diarrhea and I know you went through that with the kittens. I tagged you on her thread to see if you could give her a little help. This is a grown kitty. I know you are busy but this is something you have experienced and she can’t get the kitty to the vet until Tuesday or Thursday. Ouch! Raw bottom!
Also, I apologize for not replying to this. I just didn't see it. I hope her kitty is okay.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I’m so glad to hear all your great news. The rescue kitties are precious. I love the blue eyes too. Jacks has some amazing fangs! I know from my own experience that having the numbers go down with adoptions is a huge and happy relief! Bravo! Wow! If you go back and look at your very first post compared to now, you’ve traveled a very long way. I know this adventure had it’s rough times but you did an excellent job. :yess: It’s very nice to hear from you again. :)

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I’m so glad to hear all your great news. The rescue kitties are precious. I love the blue eyes too. Jacks has some amazing fangs! I know from my own experience that having the numbers go down with adoptions is a huge and happy relief! Bravo! Wow! If you go back and look at your very first post compared to now, you’ve traveled a very long way. I know this adventure had it’s rough times but you did an excellent job. :yess: It’s very nice to hear from you again. :)
A very long way. It's nice to hear from you as well, how are you and your kitties?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well.... chugging along as usual. Lol The last cat is purring on my shoulder right now. Well, actually, the last one that I know of. The total is way down but not quite finished. Hopefully I won’t run out of steam before the finish line.
Did you see the amazing wolf moon? I posted some photos because it was really beautiful.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well.... chugging along as usual. Lol The last cat is purring on my shoulder right now. Well, actually, the last one that I know of. The total is way down but not quite finished. Hopefully I won’t run out of steam before the finish line.
Did you see the amazing wolf moon? I posted some photos because it was really beautiful.
I don't know how you do it. Getting so many cats to new homes. Wish I could give my cats away that fast