My first foster kitty arrives tomorrow - stocked and anxious

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, life is weird sometimes. I wanted to wait until today to call the rescue, and I got a call yesterday, from a family with two kids, about adopting Josephine. I was working until late, so I didn't get the messages until 7 PM. They tried to call all afternoon on both my lines. Anyway, They are coming this afternoon to see Josephine. I'm actually happy about how this is turning out. I cried a little of course, but this is good for everyone. From what I know, the kids are 8 and 6, so they are old enough to understand how to care for a cat, and not pull on her tail or something. I called the rescue just to confirm they were legit, because that's the first time someone calls me directly, last time I had the number and called them. Marie-Laure seemed to like them very much, she did the first screening on the phone. So I'm going to see them tonight, and then "report" to her. If all goes well, Josephine will be with her forever family as early as tomorrow or Wednesday.

Poop update : Jo's stool are much better, but there are still moments when it's really soft. I'm going to treat her for worms again.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Perhaps this is the family for Josephine! Do make sure her stools are formed and not soft before she is rehomed.

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jo has found her furever home! The couple came with the kids, and we all clicked, cats included. They loved seeing and playing with Joséphine, they each got a turn. The smile on their faces was priceless, especially the dad, he had the biggest smile of all! The kids were awesome and played with her a long time, they didn't want to go

They plan on vaccinating her, which is awesome! And they asked plenty of questions about her food, her habits, etc. They also already have bought her lots of toys, a kitty bed, and they hope that if she want to wake someone up at night, it'll be one of the kids

They seemed very loving, and the kids were really cool with the cat, so I'm happy.

Jo has a vet appointment this afternoon, and if everything checks out, we are taking her to her new home Wednesday afternoon.

Yesterday, I didn't want to go with Marie-Laure when we re home Jo, but I changed my mind. I think it's important for me to see this through.

After that, we are giving Sparrow some well deserved rest, he was really awesome with Jo, but she was a little to hyper for him. And after that, we will be ready for the next foster.

EDIT : @sarthur2 We will make sure the soft stool are addressed at the vet. She will probably get some kitten Milbemax again. I'm excited to see her weight, she won't let me weight her anymore.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This good news! Did Josephine enjoy the kids as much as they enjoyed her? [emoji]128571[/emoji]

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2 Yes she did! She was a little scared at first because there were 4 new people all at once, but then they started playing with her favorite wand mouse, and she went all in, jumping, hiding and pouncing. She also rolled around showing her belly. She knows how to charm people!

We just came back from the vet, Josephine got a clean bill of health. No ear mites, no fleas, and she got some Profender for possible parasites.

She weights 1.900 Kg, and is estimated to be around 4 or 4.5 months old. Something about some teeth that are supposed to come in between 4 and 5 months old that she doesn't have yet?

Her new family will have to schedule her spay for the end of next month max.

So, I'm going with Marie-Laure tomorrow to bring Josephine to her new home. I have no idea how I'm going to react after it's done, but I'm pretty sure Josephine will make herself at home right away. She's not shy

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful! Josephine will be a great cat for a family. The nice thing about kids and kittens is that they have similar energy levels, so they have each other to play with long after the adults are worn out.

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went and brought Josephine to her new home yesterday. They were so happy to see her! Only the husband and the son were there, but they had already prepped everything for her! They bought her new toys and a cat bed so soft I wanted it for myself! Their house is really large, with a big wooden staircase and lots of room for Jo to run around. She immediately went exploring, and then proceded to play with the son. He was fantastic, he didn't even try to hold her or pet her, he just played.

They changed her name, and she is now Naya. She will be spayed and tattooed at the end of the month, and vaccinated a week before.

I'll be waiting anxiously for a month, that's the time they have to return her if something doesn't work. After that, Naya will be theirs officially.

On a personal note, that wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I teared up a bit when we left, but getting home to Sparrow was fantastic. That whole experience was just... I don't think I have words. Since Sparrow is so gracious with kittens, we will be "specializing" in young cats. We are waiting to hear from the rescue, but we will soon have another cat (or cats) to keep us three company!

Thank you all so much, especially you @sarthur2, your knowledge and patience really made a difference for us. You rock!

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so glad she now has such a spectacular new furr-ever home - as it should be! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

And now you see the difference between the "iffy" adopters and the right ones. Always trust your instincts! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got some news, Naya is at the vet this morning to get spayed! Everyone is really happy, and I will call them later in the week and try and get some pics! They did agree to keep me updated anytime I want news of her ;)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good to hear! Hope she continues to do well! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got some news about Naya, she was spayed, everything went well, and she was definitely adopted at the end of October! her family said that she was a wonderful cat, and that everyone is really really happy. I'm so happy for Naya, they were exactly what she needed, she's so full of crazy kitten energy!

If I get more news, I'll post here, but that's all I have for now.