My first foster kitty arrives tomorrow - stocked and anxious

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's understandable! The perfect family will come along. Josephine is young and needs stimulation. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Giving up that first foster is very hard, but it does help once you've found the perfect family to think about how happy the kitty is going to be in her new home! I think Josephine would like another kitten sibling!

What an amazing host Sparrow has been! If you keep fostering, he will get used to having a rotation of new playmates, and I'm picturing him becoming an expert on helping your foster cats feel at home. Sparrow the ambassador!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I called the couple and I'm not convinced. I'm pretty sure his girlfriend doesn't even know about the cat yet. He is supposed to come by Saturday to talk, I told him I wanted to see them both. I called the rescue, and they also talked with him, they are not convinced either. I still want to talk to them, but I don't think this is the right home for Jo.

I feel much better now that I had some time to think about it, and it will be very hard, but she deserves a good home, with some kitty and human friends to play with! And I love fostering so far, I want to keep doing it.

@Molly92 Sparrow is the perfect host! He's mellow but don't back down, and he's been teaching Jo lots of stuff! She looks at him all the time, and try to imitate him. Yesterday, it was the "rolling around in the sun" lesson. He kept doing it while looking at her, and she went not too far from him, and started rolling around too. It was so sweet. I would have liked it if he hadn't pass on the "let's try and open the door while meowing like crazy to go in the courtyard" lesson
They are driving me a bit crazy

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Honestly, I would just straight out tell the man that it's been decided to place Josephine with a family. Surely there is another cat for him out there. And surely there are other adopters for Josephine.

Why spend your time on someone who you already know can't be home for her 50+ hours a week if that is what she needs? Besides, who gets the cat if they break up? ;)

Last edited:

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He seemed young on the phone, so I'm hoping to steer them towards one of the older cats we have for adoption. I just have to try.

About the who gets the cat, that's easy : the one whose name are on the cat's papers. If not, they have to change the name of the owner with I-CAD. I know, I'm being naive on that one...

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was right to want to meet him. He's not at all how I thought he would be.

His GF and him have different work hours, and they are both free from Friday to Monday every week.

She's even free Mondays to Wednesday mornings.

He asked a lot of good questions, and was welcoming my advice. He was great with Jo, even tho she was a bit timid. I think he's going to visit again with his GF this time (she was sick, but she called him during the visit). I liked him. I think he would be a good fit for Jo, I'm just waiting to see how it goes!

Jo is weighting at 1.550 Kg as of yesterday. She's been with us 2 weeks already!

Sparrow is getting a little annoyed at her. I found some outside work unexpectedly and had to go Thursday and Friday, and I haven't been walking him every day like I did before. I'm a dish washer at a 4 stars restaurant, and my hours are crazy. I'm exhausted. Thank the Cat Goddess Jo and Sparrow are fully acquainted, I don't know how I would have been able to agree to the job otherwise.

Last edited:

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
<rant> I hate people. You can ask them multiple times the same question, they are going to lie to your face EVERY TIME. I hate people.</rant>

So, the guy called me back (I left a message yesterday), and said is GF was not ready to adopt a cat. Like I said above, I asked him at least 3 times, he lied every time. I asked him twice to come with his GF, he spun some tale about her being sick. I think she didn't even know where he was when he came to see Jo. Thank the Cat Goddess we don't let people just come and leave with the cat, poor Jo would have been back on the street immediately.

On a good note, Jo and Sparrow are now friends, they play with each other mornings and evenings, and maybe at night, but they are discreet if that's the case. Sparrow is much more relaxed now, and Jo is her usual self, a mini-tornado. She just never stops! And she is eating like they're actually 3 cats in there! I haven't weighted her this week, I'll do that Sunday.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's a shame the man wasted your time. The situation seemed "iffy" to me from the start.

Glad everyone is getting along! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wasn't sold on them on the phone, but in person I didn't have any "vibes". Should have trusted my instincts. Marie-Laure (the person from the rescue who is following Joséphine) called it from the start, just like you. I think I'm being a little naïve about this process. I'm learning as I go, not always easy, but I'm really happy about it.

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A little update : Jo is doing very good, still her playful self.

I'm trying to determine which of the wet food is making her poop soft tho, I had to cut back on the wet. She gets a full plate morning and evening, and can chow on dry all day and night. Otherwise her poop is way too soft. I think it's the one with salmon in it. I give that one one time a week only, but it doesn't seem to agree with her stomach.

I can't weight her anymore, she won't stay still! The bowl trick worked the first time only, and then I've been using her wet mealtime to get her to stay on the scale. But now she won't stay! Sunday she got so bored with me putting her back on the scale that she stole a big piece of wet food and darted out to eat it in peace
Any tricks I can use that I didn't think about yet? Treats won't work either.

Sparrow and Jo are getting along more and more, but I can see that Jo is the dominant one. Sparrow will leave his food if Jo gets right next to it. She doesn't even have to do anything, she just stays there. Once Sparrow is gone, she starts eating. When she's gone, Sparrow comes back and eat. It's weird seeing this big 6 Kg cat letting this tiny kitten rule him. But we haven't had any fights, and they chase each other around playfully, so all is well.

Adoptions have slow down, and I haven't had anyone interested in Jo since the last one. I'm fine with that, but I think about Jo and the more she grow up the more it's going to be difficult for her to find a home, right? This has failed foster written all over it...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is her poop soft all the time? If so, she may need treating for parasites.

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, her poop only is soft after a wet meal. Yesterday morning I put more wet than usual, and her poop in the afternoon was even softer. Do you think I should try no wet food for a day or two to see if the wet is the culprit?

EDIT : She was treated for worms last month. Maybe another treatment is in order?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may be the brand you are feeding her that doesn't agree. Which brand is it?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, her poop only is soft after a wet meal. Yesterday morning I put more wet than usual, and her poop in the afternoon was even softer. Do you think I should try no wet food for a day or two to see if the wet is the culprit?
EDIT : She was treated for worms last month. Maybe another treatment is in order?
Most worming treatments do need to be repeated 2-3 times every two weeks.

Last edited:

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2 It's MACs, grain free. They get Poultry (which include beef, weird), chicken&salmon, veal&turkey. Sparrow doesn't have any problems at all with it. Jo gets softer poop on all three, but chicken&salmon is the worst. I have some grain free friskies I can feed Jo if need be. I could also get some Fancy Feast, but I'd rather not, I don't have the finances to feed that on a daily basis. Maybe once a day, if that.

@talkingpeanut Thanks, I'll see with the rescue about repeating the treatment. She got Milbemax a month ago.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try switching brands. Fancy Feast is good because meat is the first ingredient in the Classic pate line. However, if it's not in your budget, try Friskies, but avoid the fish.

See if this makes a difference.

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have some Friskies on hand so I'll try that first. I bought the pate ones and there is no fish in it, i try to avoid it. If no changes, I'll try Fancy Feast.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay! Switching brands will let us know if it's the food or something else, like parasites. Give it a couple of days at least.

Keep us posted.

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are middle of day 2 of transitioning the cats to Friskies pate, and Jo's poop is already better. I don't understand what it is yet, but something in the MAC's doesn't agree with her. I will keep you updated @sarthur2. Thanks for the advice, a good one, as always ;)

I realized today that I'm in trouble. I fell in love with Josephine. Probably the second I got her into my arms that first time. She snuggled against me and purred. It's too late. I don't think I could find any good home for her, just because they will never be good enough in my eyes. I discussed it with John (SO), and it was a very short conversation : Me : "Can we keep Jo?" Him : "Of course we can!". So, that's settled. She's ours! To be fair, we are hers, she gets her forever home with Sparrow and us ;)

Next step is telling the rescue, I don't know how they are going to react, they are going to lose another foster family. I don't think we can have a third cat, not enough room. But we'll see.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just do what is in your heart, and things will fall into place the way they are meant to be! [emoji]10084[/emoji]️