My fingertips are cracking!

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phat Locani

Two of them and it really hurts. I wear gloves when I do handwash of anything so I'm not abusing them. Does this happen to anyone else? What do you do for it? None of the lotions are helping, not even Neutrogena's concentrated stuff. The only thing that helps is putting on a bandaid ... and having to change it every time I wash my hands. Any ideas? Ow! Ow!
Holy cow yes! My flesh on my fingers basically split open in the winter. It's the worst on my index fingers and thumbs. The rest of the knuckle sides of my fingers look like their covered in scales. I've never had a problem until just a few years ago. My knuckels split open too, and it's very painful. My right middle finger tip has been so heavily damaged that I no longer have a finger print on it (it's just smooth and hard/callused on a good day, it's cracked and peeling and bloody most of the time). I keep that finger taped up 90% of the time.

I'm positive that finger just has a ringworm infection that won't go away, but every doctor I've gone to says it's nothing and it's dry skin. Anti-fungal creams sort of help, but it just comes back once I stop using them. I've had ringworm on my hands pretty frequenty when I was a kid and taking some griseofluvin gets rid of it in no time flat, but my pediatrician moved back to Korea years ago and no other doctor will perscribe it for me.

When it gets really bad I dip my entire hands in hot parrafin and it sort of helps for a bit. I'll dip, wait till it hardens, dip again, and repeat about 10 times, and I'll leave it on till it gets hard and solid and peel it off. Then I make sure I keep my hands warm for several hours after that, immediately exposing them to cold seems to make it even worse than it was before.