My father is passing

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had a phone call from my sister. My 98 year-old father, who has been in a nursing home for three years, has slipped into a semi-conscious state, and the medical advice is that he has only days left. He has not been eating or drinking on his own for some weeks, anad is stick-thin. He has not known my mother or any members of the family for a long time, although until recently he was smiling at visitors. I last saw him in October, when I went back to the UK for my niece's wedding.
My mother and sister are going to the Home this afternoon, but the family are all agreed that it is better that he be allowed to slip away quietly. He has had no quality of life for a long time, a shadow of the man we once knew. But your vibes would be appreciated for my mother, for whom this represents a massive emotional change. They would have been married for 70 years this coming July.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry Jenny. Such a hard thing for your family. I wish your mother lots of strength in the coming days. :hugs:

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jenny, my prayers are with your father that he will be comfortable and not afraid. My prayers are with you, your mother, and your family that God will comfort you all.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My prayers are with you, your family, and for your father passing to be easy.  Dementia is so hard for the family to deal with.  My father had it for five years before his passing, I would feel guilty for not making the trip home to see him but there just seemed no point in making the trip. He was the only family left in Kansas and it just seemed pointless.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Jenny, my prayers are with you and your family. My father passed away in October under similar circumstances. My parents had been married 61 years. Even when you're expecting it and you're ready to let them go, it's still hard. :hugs:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenny- I am sorry :hugs: Ninety-eight years - what a life he must have led and such a long, happy marriage - almost 70 years. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I 'm sorry. Prayers for you and your family

Wow.  97 years old.  And your parents married for almost  70 years

cheryl

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry, Jenny. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. He is sinking fast tonight. My mother, sister and one of my brothers are with him, but he is unconscious.

Last edited:

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry about your father, Jenny.  Many hugs to you and your family during this difficult time .

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry to hear about your father. My thoughts and prayers to you and your family. 

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry, Jenny. :hugs: You and your family are in my thoughts. :heart2: