My cats- the world's worst exterminators

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My one fear in life is cockroaches. I hate them. When I see them, I freeze up.

Fortunately, I am rarely surprised by them because the Drama Queens seem to have a homing device for roaches- they ALWAYS know where they are. If I see Eppie and Cosy paying extra-close attention to a particular spot, I know there's a roach there.

The problem is that they don't kill the roaches! They'll stare at them, bat at them a little, but they won't do what's supposed to come naturally to cats and that's kill the little buggers. I'll start screaming (yes, I am that afraid of roaches) and tell the girls, "Kill the roach! Kill the roach!" Of course, they just look at me like I'm nuts
.So it's up to a petrified mommy to do it

Any of y'all have kitties who make horrible exterminators?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Molly was scared of everything! She used to get out of the way of ants and spiders!

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, not here. I have a WONDERFUL exterminator in my house. His name is Hammie!

ANYTHING... spider, ant, flying bug, them thousand-legger thingies (centipede?), a fly, even a dust bunny floating from the vent... He sees it; he hunts it; he kills it.

Unfortunately he also does this with the other cats at times. Watching him stalk Snickers from around a corner & attack with all that vigor is kinda scary!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Amy, I'll have to send Gracie down south to show your girls how it's done.
Her nickname isn't "Bug" for nothing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would Hammie and Gracie's mommies mind sending them down to visit with their Auntie Amy during our buggy months?
Y'all are SO lucky!

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only find the left overs!!! Its attack and destroy. I try not to let me eat the bugs, but unless you catch the cat you are not getting the bug.

I hate roaches. I sometimes think thats why God gave me all boys. To take care of the bugs for me.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

I hate roaches. I sometimes think thats why God gave me all boys. To take care of the bugs for me.

You're definitely lucky in that respect!

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Me and the BF both share a distaste for spiders and so we sic Sylvester and Annie on them, but like your girls all they want to do is torture them!

Then my ridiculous bleeding heart comes out and I have to RESCUE the spider and put it outside.

Thankfully, roaches are not much of an issue here.

pepper girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If my girls see any kind of bug in our apartment it's a goner...and mommy is defintely happy about that...
...I am absolutely TERRFIED of bugs
(everything except ladybugs
)

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Reilly will kill almost every bug except for the one I am most terrified off.
Centipedes!!, I hate them, when Jeff and I lived in our old 120 year old house they would come up from the basement and it would be Reilly and myself running away from it!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tracy, isn't it funny (or not so funny in the case of bugs!) how SELECTIVE cats can be?

I had one good experience with bugs and the DQs. I came home one day and found a HUGE roach- alive, but on it's back. It appeared to be missing a few legs and I think Eppie (who was sitting behind it, looking so smug) was to thank. Made it much easier for her fraidy cat mom to get rid of that one!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't say I've ever seen a live cockroach (except on the TV!!)
Bakker gets some flies. All other insects aren't a problem. If fact I like spiders-they take care of lots of insects. The only insects that are really bad now are the Box elder bugs and the Asian lady beetles trying to come inside for the winter. The cats leave them up to me and the vaccum cleaner.

evnshawn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of the little girl kittens is a MAJOR bug fiend and will even eat wasps (I try not to let her, but she's hard to stop). The adult cats, though, lead far too cushy a life, I think, to be interested in bugs.

The other night, Shawn threw a few pieces of grated cheese on the floor for Ace. He said Ace ate the first one, but every time he s-l-o-w-l-y got his face up to the second one, he'd jump back. So Shawn bent down to look, and there was a tiny spider under the cheese. Every time Ace got too close, the spider would leap up at him.

A fifteen-pound cat. Scared of a spider small enough to hide under one little string of grated cheese.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by evnshawn

One of the little girl kittens is a MAJOR bug fiend and will even eat wasps (I try not to let her, but she's hard to stop). The adult cats, though, lead far too cushy a life, I think, to be interested in bugs.

The other night, Shawn threw a few pieces of grated cheese on the floor for Ace. He said Ace ate the first one, but every time he s-l-o-w-l-y got his face up to the second one, he'd jump back. So Shawn bent down to look, and there was a tiny spider under the cheese. Every time Ace got too close, the spider would leap up at him.

A fifteen-pound cat. Scared of a spider small enough to hide under one little string of grated cheese.
How cute!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

Reilly will kill almost every bug except for the one I am most terrified off.
Centipedes!!, I hate them, when Jeff and I lived in our old 120 year old house they would come up from the basement and it would be Reilly and myself running away from it!
Oh tell me about the centipedes! They didn't show up in my house until this year. Megan love them - she will meow if they are on the ceiling so I know to get the vacuum out. What's worse if she catches it she is very gentle with it and will run into the room with it dangling out of her mouth alive! EEWWWWW. Oh I HATE HATE HATE those things! Skank Monsters!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the summer we get a few crickets that always find their way in. All of the cats chase and smack them around but that's about the extent of it.

Spyder has been catching flies out of the air but they always get away!

rockinrhonda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
amy, Thats one thing i can say i do not like a ROACH! they also scare me to death i will scream bloody murder if i see one around here I half to have the house sprayed every three months and were do again (Bonkers) caught one the other night
to bonkers! But grose to me yuke

It makes ya wonder how a little bug like that can scare someone like us big folks scared of a tiny bug But im am not afraid to admit that im a Scaredy Cat

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meish is quite the bug hunter and so is the puppy actually... I try to not let them eat bugs though.... I'm paranoid it would be a poison one or something.... so I use my dust buddy to suck them up once they are located.