My Cats Pregnant & Due Any Time Now!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jadrebskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wherever you put her - and, hopefully that is away from the other cats - make sure you provide her with a fairly isolated, private space. Perhaps, a sizeable cardboard box for having/caring for the babies - and if she currently has some towels/blankets that she is used to laying on take some of them to line the box with. You want to be able to see into the box, and have it easy enough for her to get in and out of, but it still needs to seem to her like a semi-private nesting spot. Keep the area super warm - for the babies' sake!!!

I don't have a lot of experience with this, but I do know mama cats do best at nursing and caring for their babies - especially at the beginning - when it is quiet, calm, serene - which really does mean keeping the other cats away. And, if she wants a lot of attention from you after she delivers, you can give it to her, but you will need to leave her alone with the babies for periods of time to enable her to focus on her babies and not you.

Let her have all the food she wants now and well after delivery - she is going to need it!! And, for at least the first couple of weeks, if you have some reason you have to reposition the babies, don't forget to use a towel (no direct hand contact) when doing so. There's tons more info, but I am sure you probably have read a lot on this site, and already are aware of all the suggestions I have made. It's an exciting time, so forgive me for being overly zealous!!

Good luck!!! Keep us posted!!!

Just a question, you know the keep her separate in her own room and space, is this once she's in labour or should I be putting her in her own room now? she really would get upset locked in a room right now as she's so affectionate and wants to be with me 24/7 but I was wondering if she could be trying to hold out because they're still around her? sorry for all the questions I want to be as clued up as I can! :)

jadrebskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

My cat is pregnant and there’s between now & two weeks when we thought she could be due. But we took her for an ultrasound 8 days ago and the vet said she was VERY pregnant and would give birth within a few days to a week. Well it’s over a week. Her appetite hasn’t slowed down, she’s very clingy & she does sleep in nests. Both my friend and partner think she’s definitely dropped but I’m unsure. How accurate are the ultra sounds? Cos if it’s another 2 weeks before she gives birth then the vet would’ve been almost 3 weeks wrong.

Really impatient cat Mumma over here!!!

Thank you :)

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi jadrebskitty. I suppose the pregnant cat you are discussing here is the same reported in your thread "My Cats Pregnant & Due Any Time Now"?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ultrasound is an excellent way to determine if a cat is pregnant, and to see if the kittens are alive at any stage of pregnancy (since you can see the heartbeats).
With ultrasound, the vet can make a guess at how close the cat is to delivery, by measuring the kittens (crown-rump length or head diameter), but if the kittens are larger or smaller than average this guess isn't going to be very accurate.
Here's some information on different methods of pregnancy diagnosis in cats:
Cat Pregnancy Diagnosis - A Complete Veterinary Guide.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its not very accurate. The fact she dropped hints the delivery comes inside of 3 days.

jadrebskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi jadrebskitty. I suppose the pregnant cat you are discussing here is the same reported in your thread "My Cats Pregnant & Due Any Time Now"?
Yes!! I didn’t know how this worked and didn’t realise it would post on here anyway lol

jadrebskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve been able to feel movement in her belly for a while now but since yesterday it’s been real proper movement, like I can feel when it’s a foot kicking her side. She doesn’t lay on her back at the minute for me to see but they’re really active. could this be a sign she’s near or not? So sorry for all the questions

jadrebskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, she’s had 4 healthy kittens, between 8pm and 3am this morning! Beautiful they are. She’s got her own room but I’ve left the door open for her whilst all my others are out. She’s ventured out to go downstairs. Is this ok so soon? Thanks

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's fine for her to leave the nest box for a break, but it's generally best for a new mother to be confined to the room where the nest box is located. That way she and the kittens are not exposed to your other cats and their litterbox(es), reducing the chance of exposure to any illness or parasite they may be carrying (this is a bigger issue if your other cats go outdoors). Also, occasionally mother cats will decide to move their kittens around, and it's better if she doesn't have the whole house to drag them around in.

jadrebskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s moved her kittens to a corner of my room under a chair. I think the pipes run under the floor there. No blankets down as she doesn’t like me interfering with that stuff hence why she moved them. She likes to come away and lay with me on my bed for 15 minutes for some her time then she’s desperate to get back which I’m happy about! I’ve weighed the babies today and will do it everyday from now on. I’ve got 1 at 3.4oz, 3.6oz, 3.7oz & 3.9oz. Is this an ok weight? She’s a small Mumma as well, eating plenty, been the the toilet for both urine & bowels. Very happy cat mum over here!!! Thanks for all the comments and help it’s been nice knowing I can ask things on here!!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She maybe afraid the kittens will get tangled in the blanket, or she may just really like the place she found. You could put a soft wool scarf near- three or four feet - from her chosen spot. That way if she wants it, she can get it and bring it to her kits and leave it if she doesn't.

Nice little family, mom looks happy.

jadrebskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice I’ve left a little light blanket type thing near her. Already can’t wait for them to be up and about lol!!!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to discourage you, but here a few things to do before the crew is up and moving.

Now is the time to kitten proof your house. All breakables put in boxes. All heavy things - like bookends and metal art objects - that a kitten can push off a shelf onto another kitten into boxes. Give over an entire closet to 'things we'll put back out when the kits are grown'. Flowers gone. Wires coated with bitter apple/Tabasco sauce and as well secured as possible. Check your screens are they secure?

Start practicing keeping the toilet lid shut. They will fall in trying to reach the water. The bowl is slippery they can't get traction to get out (cats can jump out, kittens can't) and if you are gone for hours they will get tired and drown.

Buy the covers for the stove knobs, or begin practicing taking them off when you leave the house and when you sleep. another member just posted about her cat accidentally turning the stove on electric, gas is more dangerous of course.

Kittens climb. Do you have a table cloth? What's your center piece like? will it bounce? What about your curtains? Do you want to replace them with cheap ones - muslin cut into a rectangle fold over the top about three inches and sew in place - does nicely. Use a dowel rod to hang the curtain make it only 1/2 in longer than the rod hook at the ends. You want it insecure. The first time each kitten starts up the curtain it's weight will pull it down and the cascade of material will convince kit there are better things to play with. Usually only takes once per kitten but each will have to discover it him/her self.

Kittens are wonderful, a non-stop party until everyone falls asleep in mid run and lies scattered around the living room for a good hour before they are up and going again.

jadrebskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not to discourage you, but here a few things to do before the crew is up and moving.

Now is the time to kitten proof your house. All breakables put in boxes. All heavy things - like bookends and metal art objects - that a kitten can push off a shelf onto another kitten into boxes. Give over an entire closet to 'things we'll put back out when the kits are grown'. Flowers gone. Wires coated with bitter apple/Tabasco sauce and as well secured as possible. Check your screens are they secure?

Start practicing keeping the toilet lid shut. They will fall in trying to reach the water. The bowl is slippery they can't get traction to get out (cats can jump out, kittens can't) and if you are gone for hours they will get tired and drown.

Buy the covers for the stove knobs, or begin practicing taking them off when you leave the house and when you sleep. another member just posted about her cat accidentally turning the stove on electric, gas is more dangerous of course.

Kittens climb. Do you have a table cloth? What's your center piece like? will it bounce? What about your curtains? Do you want to replace them with cheap ones - muslin cut into a rectangle fold over the top about three inches and sew in place - does nicely. Use a dowel rod to hang the curtain make it only 1/2 in longer than the rod hook at the ends. You want it insecure. The first time each kitten starts up the curtain it's weight will pull it down and the cascade of material will convince kit there are better things to play with. Usually only takes once per kitten but each will have to discover it him/her self.

Kittens are wonderful, a non-stop party until everyone falls asleep in mid run and lies scattered around the living room for a good hour before they are up and going again.
Thanks for the advice. I have 4 cats all of which were kittens so I’m pretty used to having a kitten around! Not sure about 4 all at once but I’ll take the necessary precautions!

jadrebskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All the kittens are doing well putting on good amounts of weight. Mumma is being great with them! I think I have 2 boys & 2 girls. Is it normal for Mum cat to pant and breathe a little faster? I’ve tried to look online and have read something about a calcium issue but is it too soon after the birth to worry about this? I’ve read some horrible stories about mum cats after birth so I’m on high alert to look for any warning signs. Some would say paranoid! Thanks!

jadrebskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, so yesterday mum cat (Hattie) moved 1 kitten out of the nest & we put him back in and she removed him a further 7 times. We got some supplement milk just incase and there’s a heat pad under the blankets where the baby gets removed. We set an alarm for every hour through the night and she never removed him over night or this morning. She is letting him nurse and never stopped letting him get milk just keeps removing him from the nest. Any advice?