My Cats Pregnant & Due Any Time Now!

jadrebskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hi everyone!

I know there’s plenty of threads already on here but this is my first time that I’ve ever had a pregnant cat and I sort of feel like I want actual communication with people as I’m nervous and excited!

So, I have a small female cat who is very pregnant. I took her to the vets on Friday & they carried out a scan. Both the vets and nurses didn’t exactly specify how far along she was as they can’t but they said she’s really pregnant and I should expect kittens within the next few days to a week. They said she’d definitely be having 2, but he thought 3/4 kittens.

I’ve been reading a lot on signs to look out for when they’re ready to give birth, I’ve noticed dried flaky white stuff on her mammary glands which are very prominent, she’s already a vocal cat she’s often chirps as she’s just walking around the house but the past 2 days she’s been doing this very vocal meow occasionally that she did when she was in heat, I notice her wandering around looking for places but I don’t have very many private places for her to go. She sleeps a lot more and wants to be near me but seems a bit more less tolerant with fuss and she’s now sleeping in one of her nest boxes for the first time.

She’s struggling to sit / lay properly now and looks uncomfortable. I guess I’m not really asking anything specifically but I really am desperate to be present in case I’m needed in any unlikely event. I’ll attach a picture of how she was sat this morning. Any advice or comments welcome!

Thank you xxx

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She’s pretty! The white flaky stuff sounds like it could be dried milk. Milk production starts about a day or two before delivery, so it does sound like she’s getting very close!

This article has some helpful info: How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Keep us updated!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s pretty! The white flaky stuff sounds like it could be dried milk. Milk production starts about a day or two before delivery, so it does sound like she’s getting very close!
It's normal for a cat's nipples to develop a flaky, crusty or waxy coating during late pregnancy; this isn't actually milk and doesn't indicate that the cat is due right away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jadrebskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This article has some helpful info: How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Keep us updated!
She really is so gorgeous!! Hoping she’s so close! Do you have any advice on other pets once she’s had them? I’ve got 3 other cats too and not sure what the best way to deal with them all is!

jadrebskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's normal for a cat's nipples to develop a flaky, crusty or waxy coating during late pregnancy; this isn't actually milk and doesn't indicate that the cat is due right away.
Thanks!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She really is so gorgeous!! Hoping she’s so close! Do you have any advice on other pets once she’s had them? I’ve got 3 other cats too and not sure what the best way to deal with them all is!
It's best for her to have a room of her own when she is in labor and while her kittens are small. Do you have a bedroom you can set her up in?

jadrebskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well the only spare room we have is where all my other cats use their litter tray etc but I’ll figure it out so she can be peaceful!

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't you keep her away from the other cats in your own bedroom or perhaps in the bathroom with her own litter box as well as her water and food trays?

jadrebskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was thinking the bathroom myself. My only problem is one of my cats are a nightmare for pulling up carpet. If it means she’s more comfortable and the kittens are ok I will do just that but I’ll find a solution somehow!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is probably going to be very protective of the kittens when they come. This means she's going to want a place away from the other cats, who will be curious about the kittens and try to get close. Your mom cat's instinct may make her fearful of the other cats. She may attack them when they get too close to the nest. She may actually injure them. The stress won't be good for her or the kittens.

If nothing else try to block off a corner of your room so that the others can't get in it.

Mom cat hormones will ease up when the kittens are biggish. Remember whatever she does to the other cats who come too close is partly due to those hormones, and all due to protecting her babies. It won't mean she hates the other cats. In time she will let them help with the babies, but not right at first.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wherever you put her - and, hopefully that is away from the other cats - make sure you provide her with a fairly isolated, private space. Perhaps, a sizeable cardboard box for having/caring for the babies - and if she currently has some towels/blankets that she is used to laying on take some of them to line the box with. You want to be able to see into the box, and have it easy enough for her to get in and out of, but it still needs to seem to her like a semi-private nesting spot. Keep the area super warm - for the babies' sake!!!

I don't have a lot of experience with this, but I do know mama cats do best at nursing and caring for their babies - especially at the beginning - when it is quiet, calm, serene - which really does mean keeping the other cats away. And, if she wants a lot of attention from you after she delivers, you can give it to her, but you will need to leave her alone with the babies for periods of time to enable her to focus on her babies and not you.

Let her have all the food she wants now and well after delivery - she is going to need it!! And, for at least the first couple of weeks, if you have some reason you have to reposition the babies, don't forget to use a towel (no direct hand contact) when doing so. There's tons more info, but I am sure you probably have read a lot on this site, and already are aware of all the suggestions I have made. It's an exciting time, so forgive me for being overly zealous!!

Good luck!!! Keep us posted!!!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And, for at least the first couple of weeks, if you have some reason you have to reposition the babies, don't forget to use a towel (no direct hand contact) when doing so.
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , most of your advice is great, but I'm not sure what you mean by using a towel and "no direct hand contact"? It's not at all harmful to use your (clean) hands to gently handle new babies... it's good for them to get some handling. It's also a good idea to weigh them daily, and look them over to make sure each one is doing well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , most of your advice is great, but I'm not sure what you mean by using a towel and "no direct hand contact"? It's not at all harmful to use your (clean) hands to gently handle new babies... it's good for them to get some handling. It's also a good idea to weigh them daily, and look them over to make sure each one is doing well.
I've never felt it was worth taking the chance to touch them with my bare hands at least in the first few days - guess it is just an over-precaution on my part!! Plus, tbh, all of my experience have been with strays - not full domesticated cats. So, for me, once the sense is that mama is "OK" with it, then I have always considered it to be much less of a concern. Is that too much over-worrying??

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are all your other cats fixed? You will need to be especially mindful of keeping them separate if you have intact males.

jadrebskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is probably going to be very protective of the kittens when they come. This means she's going to want a place away from the other cats, who will be curious about the kittens and try to get close. Your mom cat's instinct may make her fearful of the other cats. She may attack them when they get too close to the nest. She may actually injure them. The stress won't be good for her or the kittens.

If nothing else try to block off a corner of your room so that the others can't get in it.

Mom cat hormones will ease up when the kittens are biggish. Remember whatever she does to the other cats who come too close is partly due to those hormones, and all due to protecting her babies. It won't mean she hates the other cats. In time she will let them help with the babies, but not right at first.
Yeah I’ll definitely find her somewhere private! Thanks

jadrebskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
can anybody tell me, do cats definitely lose their appetite when they’re about to give birth? She’s not slowing down one bit!

jadrebskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi sorry I’m posting so much! But she’s just done a small diarrhoea poo on my carpet (very unlike her) it was definitely poo and not discharge. I have rang my vets and they said it could possibly be the start of labour and to make sure it’s not placenta. Just wondering if anybody else has experienced this? Or got any advice. Thanks