My cats favorite canned food is.......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat's second favorite wet food is now Fancy Feast turkey pate for kittens. *sigh* #1 is still Iams kitten chicken pate, now Fancy Feast kitten turkey pate, then third is Fancy Feast turkey and giblets pate.

She will not touch seafood or any non-pate wet food and does not eat the other Fancy Feast Classics. I'm trying to give her less dry kibble to force her to eat more of the wet food when she has one of her kitten pates. Does anyone else's cat like kitten chicken or turkey pate, but doesn't like the other Fancy Feast Classics? If so, what other wet food will your cat eat? I think your cat would like nutro natural chunky turkey loaf and chicken loaf

Eventually, I will try the more expensive wet food brands...but for now I've changed my mind about trying to feed my cat Purina One and will buy her Orijen chicken & kitten kibble since she eats so little...I would be concerned except one of my sister's cats was a small, 7 lbs cat also and she hardly ate most of the time and was healthy. We'd say she liked to "watch her figure". :D

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
MyLittle Guy loves Nature's Variety Homestyle stew in Turkey. I feed him a variety. He also loves Weruva (non-fish) and Almo Nature. I will give him the muxed seafood by Almo Nature occasionally as a treat. Schweppie doesn't have a favourite.

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
New favorite rock star rabbit by pride by instinct. I do believe fussy pants likes rabbit better than anything with wings.

thehistorian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat's favorite canned foods are the Nutro Natural Choice fowl selections of course, but in an attempt to add more variety to her life, I just tried Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit. Kitty tested. Kitty very much approves. I am going to try the venison with her next. I try to keep as many varieties available as humanly possible. Bored cat = not good. Hahaha!

Last edited:

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
My cat's favorite canned foods are the Nutro Natural Choice fowl selections of course, but in an attempt to add more variety to her life, I just tried Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit. Kitty tested. Kitty very much approves. I am going to try the venison with her next. I try to keep as many varieties available as humanly possible. Bored cat = not good. Hahaha!
If she likes that she will like pride by instinct rockstar rabbit, I found my girl liked rabbit better than winged creatures. I still have to switch every day so the boredom factor does not kick in. The pride line is a little less dense and makes a nice texture change. She will not eat hooved creatures however.

Last edited:

thehistorian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she likes that she will like pride by instinct rockstar rabbit, I found my girl liked rabbit better than winged creatures. I still have to switch every day so the boredom factor does not kick in. The pride line is a little less dense and makes a nice texture change. She will not eat hooved creatures however.
I have tried Pride by Instinct Rabbit with my girl. She did not care for it. She is really big on texture. It's kind of annoying, but cute at the same time. 

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried Pride by Instinct Rabbit with my girl. She did not care for it. She is really big on texture. It's kind of annoying, but cute at the same time. :lol3:
Yes I know I break it up with fork and add a little water. She likes all of them a mushy pate. She inhales that nutro natural choice chunky chicken loaf, that must be the new kitty crack! Ha ha

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
My cat's second favorite wet food is now Fancy Feast turkey pate for kittens. *sigh* #1 is still Iams kitten chicken pate, now Fancy Feast kitten turkey pate, then third is Fancy Feast turkey and giblets pate.

She will not touch seafood or any non-pate wet food and does not eat the other Fancy Feast Classics. I'm trying to give her less dry kibble to force her to eat more of the wet food when she has one of her kitten pates. Does anyone else's cat like kitten chicken or turkey pate, but doesn't like the other Fancy Feast Classics? If so, what other wet food will your cat eat?

Eventually, I will try the more expensive wet food brands...but for now I've changed my mind about trying to feed my cat Purina One and will buy her Orijen chicken & kitten kibble since she eats so little...I would be concerned except one of my sister's cats was a small, 7 lbs cat also and she hardly ate most of the time and was healthy. We'd say she liked to "watch her figure". :D
Try nutro natural choice chunky chicken loaf, it is really a pate, they go crazy for it.

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try nutro natural choice chunky chicken loaf, it is really a pate, they go crazy for it.
Thanks! I will get a can of this next time I am at Petco. If it's a pate, then my picky kitty might like it. She's picky but possibly bored...or may get bored with her two canned foods. She doesn't really like the Fancy Feast kitten turkey pate actually, so I am planning to rotate between the only 2 choices so far: Iams kitten chicken pate and Fancy Feast turkey with giblets pate until I am ready to start trying other wet foods again. Good news is that she LOVES the Orijen cat & kitten kibble that arrived yesterday!! 
I am going to mix it in with the Acana until I get her switched over. Then, I may buy Acana occasionally to mix it up. Sorry to digress to dry kibble food, but figuring out what wet food works helped me to conclude to buy Orijen.

karissima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh man, where to begin...

My five indoor only cats eat Wellness, in a flavor rotation. The oldest (10) gets Wilderness Blue toppings or CatSip (I know... I know...) at next meal as a topper if she skips a meal.

My barn cats get a mix of "whatever is cheap" in canned food, such as whiskas, meow mix, etc. They get 1/3 wet with 2/3 dry in the morning and 2/3 wet with 1/3 dry in the eve.

My foster kittens are fed a rotation of Wellness and Pride. If I have a sick kitty I feed whatever they will eat!! I keep meow mix, iams, sd, etc because you never know what they will respond to.

flmickey90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm in the search for something different now as starting in this last week, she's turning her nose at the kind have been getting her. Was the Friskies indoor chicken pate kind. Have looked into it and haf read on a few sites, at least one for sure, that other cats have been getting sick or doing the same thing mine has. Am not going to be feeding her it any more. Seems like its different and she's not liking because it's changed. I'd like to keep her on some kind of moist food, but she's picky. It's only chicken flavored and in pate. Tried others when i first got her from the person i got her from to make sure. Was told she only would eat specific types of moist and dry, but have made the change to 4Health for dry and the friskies ... but that's where i need to make the change.

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I will get a can of this next time I am at Petco. If it's a pate, then my picky kitty might like it. She's picky but possibly bored...or may get bored with her two canned foods. She doesn't really like the Fancy Feast kitten turkey pate actually, so I am planning to rotate between the only 2 choices so far: Iams kitten chicken pate and Fancy Feast turkey with giblets pate until I am ready to start trying other wet foods again. Good news is that she LOVES the Orijen cat & kitten kibble that arrived yesterday!! :clap: I am going to mix it in with the Acana until I get her switched over. Then, I may buy Acana occasionally to mix it up. Sorry to digress to dry kibble food, but figuring out what wet food works helped me to conclude to buy Orijen. :)
Orijen is the best but even low grade wet is better for cat health should only feed 10 percent dry.

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Orijen is the best but even low grade wet is better for cat health should only feed 10 percent dry.
I'm just happy she's eating 1/2 wet for now.. It sounds like she only ate dry at the rescue shelter. It would be great to find a canned wet food that she loves more than dry, but for now, she seems to like both her dry kibble and her two wet foods. She never finishes her wet food and I really think she would rather starve if I give her any food she doesn't like. I tried mixing wet with dry and she refused to touch it all night even though she likes them separately. My baby is very picky (just like her Mom)! ^_^ She seems to be getting enough water most days based on her urine output and I do add some water most times to her pate.

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mikki doesn't drink ANY water from a bowl. Maybe 2x a week she'll get up by the faucet and I give her some...but she eats only wet food so gets it through that...she pees 2X a day... pretty good sized pees.

siamesesasha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My siamese cat Sasha actually stages a protest when I attempt to feed her dry food instead of wet.   From what I've read on this site, I'm beginning to wonder if that is abnormal.   I have had nothing but success feeding her a 5.5 oz can of Friskees each day, 1/2 can in the morning, 1/4 in the afternoon and 1/4 towards the evening.   There is no question that she prefers the varieties with texture - i.e. Tasty Treasures, Slivers, Meaty bits.  I generally buy the variety back of 24 cans (containing four different types), sometimes as cheap as $9.00 for 24, and she does not hesitate to indulge.   While she will succumb to eating the Pate versions, I generally have to mash them around in the food bowl and she is not as quick to eat as with the textured type.   I pretty much always leave dry food available to her in case she gets hungry, but it took her one full year to finish off a single 16 pound bag.

I get concerned about always feeding Friskees but she honestly craves it.   I don't want to hi-jack the thread, but anyone with suggestions on a more healthy alternative that I can potentially move to would be greatly appreciated.    First time I've ever posted by the way.      

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
My siamese cat Sasha actually stages a protest when I attempt to feed her dry food instead of wet.   From what I've read on this site, I'm beginning to wonder if that is abnormal.   I have had nothing but success feeding her a 5.5 oz can of Friskees each day, 1/2 can in the morning, 1/4 in the afternoon and 1/4 towards the evening.   There is no question that she prefers the varieties with texture - i.e. Tasty Treasures, Slivers, Meaty bits.  I generally buy the variety back of 24 cans (containing four different types), sometimes as cheap as $9.00 for 24, and she does not hesitate to indulge.   While she will succumb to eating the Pate versions, I generally have to mash them around in the food bowl and she is not as quick to eat as with the textured type.   I pretty much always leave dry food available to her in case she gets hungry, but it took her one full year to finish off a single 16 pound bag.

I get concerned about always feeding Friskees but she honestly craves it.   I don't want to hi-jack the thread, but anyone with suggestions on a more healthy alternative that I can potentially move to would be greatly appreciated.    First time I've ever posted by the way.      
The better quality canned foods are more expensive

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
The better quality canned foods are more expensive
The next bump up in quality would be fancy feast classics only not shreds or morsels etc. Classics are grain free. If you want a better grain free quality canned than FF the price jumps up to $1 plus for a 3 oz can

siamesesasha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The next bump up in quality would be fancy feast classics only not shreds or morsels etc. Classics are grain free. If you want a better grain free quality canned than FF the price jumps up to $1 plus for a 3 oz can
I appreciate that input.  Again, my post was for the purpose of providing a direct answer to your original question - what is your cat's favorite canned food?   I'm not averse to buying pricier food, but I honestly ask myself the question -  for what purpose?   1) My cat pretty much loves the food that she eats now (Friskees).   2) I would have to buy double the food at double the price (essentially a 150% - 200% increase over present costs) for a food that she may not like, and FOR WHAT?  Does that quadrupling of expense actually equate to a comparable increase in a longer, healthier, and happier life for my cat?    I'm not so certain that it does.   I suspect someone can argue that science shows that healthier foods add 1, 2, maybe 3 years of potential life to your cat, but I'm not convinced that allows my cat to have the happiness she would otherwise have at a lesser expense to me.   

I would pay any amount to keep my Sasha happy and healthy for as long as possible.  But, I'm hesitant to be hood-winked into thinking that the more expensive food that I buy for her, the happier and healthier she will be.    

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
@SiameseSasha, I think @bonepicker might have been offering you a more health alternative as you requested? Fancy Feast Classics would be a more healthy alternative as the classics pates are grain free and cat digestive systems don't need any grain, which might be very harmful to their health.

I felt as you did when I adopted my cat 1.5 months ago and was going to feed her Purina One and some type of wet food, except after what I've read online, I do not want my cat developing any type of illnesses later on because I was feeding her foods with lots of grain fillers in it so that it costs less for the pet food manufacturers and they can make more profit while advertising it in a misleading manner as good for cats. I also now really want that extra year or two that I might be able to get from feeding my little girl pricier foods than I had intended to spend. Vet bills are expensive.

You could just buy one can of different wet foods when they're on sale like one each of the Fancy Feast Classics to see which one your cat likes and, of course, only buy more of the wet food that she likes. Fancy Feast sounds more a little more expensive than Friskies, but it might be worth it in the long run if your cat does like the Fancy Feast Classics pates. Fancy Feast also goes on sale a lot.

EDIT: Of course, some cats eat "cheaper" food and are fine and live very, long lives...Also, you're very lucky your cat loves wet food.

Last edited:

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

2 cats how funny cats are, now I know why some people prefer dogs who eat anything not nailed down. Ha ha
So true .  We have 3 dogs and they are not picky at all . 
How do you keep your dogs out of your cat's food? I have 3 cats and one dog . I have been trying to get one of the cats to eat can food so I have been buying all different kinds but she will just walk away from the food and the other 2 cats now have been walking way from their food after only eating a couple bites so then the dog sneaks in and eats all the food. I figure it's the dog because the bowls are licked clean. Callie  is a small dog and can not afford to put on any more weight and I need to be able to monitor how much the cats are actually getting.