My cat Vs. Girlfriend

tinaparr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
very understandable. there's a lot of people that just aren't good with animals. You should be able to avoid problems. Cats can sense that they aren't liked, but just keep em seperate, its as simple as that

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I *haven't* heard any stories about the nasty neighbor or the nasty person who kills cats, beats them, etc. Emphasis should be on the word "stories" -- it's rumors and imaginary fear, based on statistically rare incidents. The greatest threat to domestic cats is not having an owner and ending up in a shelter.

I agree with others that these assertions about people who don't like cats are spurious and extreme. I don't like dogs, but I don't go around hurting or threatening them. It's wrong to accuse this girl of murderous impulses just because she doesn't like cats. It'd be a boring -- and very odd -- world if every person liked all the same things.

I also agree that things should be fine, if the poster makes clear to the girlfriend that he's going to keep his cat, and if he gives the girlfriend some advice on how to better relate to the cat. It sounds like she's trying to get along with the cat (picking it up and petting it, etc.), but doesn't know that it'd be better to leave the cat alone and be more passive in her interactions with it.

jamison

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't really understand people saying non animal people are "generally bad people" That's the honest equal of me saying cat lovers are "Generally rapists"... it's just asinine. You can't group people into good or bad simply because of their preferences on animals!!! I didn't like animals at all until I met my girlfriends kitties, now were cool. But I know PLENTY of people who would prefer to never see a cat or dog in their life, but are they bad people? Do they kill orphans and burn down churches? NO! You need to take a step back and remember that to SOME people, the world doesn't revolve around pets and a simple dislike of a cat does not equivicate someone to a child molester.

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No one said people who don't like animals kill orphans or burn down churches. I just said, from personal experience, I think they're weird. Thats just my personal opinion. Thats allowed right??

jamison

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by SportBikeMike

No one said people who don't like animals kill orphans or burn down churches. I just said, from personal experience, I think they're weird. Thats just my personal opinion. Thats allowed right??
Well...

I guarantee this will cause all kinds of conflict in the future
I guarantee you will burn down a church full of orphans in the future.... That's just my personal opinion, is that allowed? Or does that sound ABSOLUTELY ABSURD to take a guess at what kind of person you are based on your like (or dislike) of pets?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Originally Posted by Jamison

Well...

I guarantee you will burn down a church full of orphans in the future.... That's just my personal opinion, is that allowed? Or does that sound ABSOLUTELY ABSURD to take a guess at what kind of person you are based on your like (or dislike) of pets?
Folks let's stay civil. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion even if it doesn't agree with another person or persons.

FWIW, I don't think you can necessarily judge anyone who doesn't care for animals to be a bad person for that reason alone - IMO that WOULD be absurd and presumptuous. Just because we can say something doesn't make it true.

I believe the OP left this thread ages ago after being clobbered about his girlfriend so it's all now just an exchange of opinions between the members IMO.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

By conflict I meant in their relationship in the future....not burning down churches.
I actually understood that is what you meant.

In marriage/co-habitation, trust me, there will be lots to enjoy a conflict about - the cat may be the least of it.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you had a special needs sibling (Down Syndrome, severely autistic, something like that) whom you were looking after and your girl/boyfriend insisted that she didn't like 'retards and spazzes', you'd drop him/her like a hot potato, wouldn't you?

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Personally I cannot ever get into another relationship with someone who dislikes or hates animals.I have several pets and my last ex was totally jealous and on several occassions tried to make me get rid of my pets.He said he liked cats and got a couple once.But he never took care of them,I did ALL the work,bought the food and everything and then one day he gave them away.Because he was not an animal person,it caused ALOT of issues with us and he could not handle the fact that there were animals always around.We broke up eventually.

But because of THAT I cannot see myself getting in another relationship if the other person don't like animals.Thats JUST ME tho.

The OP DID say that his girlfriend tried to convince him to rehome his cat.
If they move in together,I can see her trying again or putting a guilt trip on him,saying something along the lines of he only cares about the cat (afterall my ex tried that...saying I didn't care about him,only cared about the animals).It IS possible.Or as others have said there could be an "accident".

To the person above who said that these are just "stories" and not true...actually SOME are true.My cousin had like 5 cats and her ex disliked them and would terrorixe and kick at them even in front of people.I have been there and he would throw things at the cats.Anyway one day he got angry and threw one of the cats across the room and it sprained it's ankle.They ended up rehoming the cat.

IMO I would not move in with her.

jamison

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

If you had a special needs sibling (Down Syndrome, severely autistic, something like that) whom you were looking after and your girl/boyfriend insisted that she didn't like 'retards and spazzes', you'd drop him/her like a hot potato, wouldn't you?
I wouldn't get into a relationship with that no, but I would also NOT label that person as "a bad person" I would probably think of them as sadly ignorant, but not a bad person.

To add to that.. You compare your cats with mentaly disabled children?

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am sure some of the stories are not just stories. Maybe Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve just heard more since Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve spent my life dealing with animal rescues and such. The school I am going to for my Vet Tech course actually has a cat that was shot in the face at close range with a BB gun by a neighbor who just didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t like cats. The cat wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t even on his lawn… believe me, after 7 operations that cat still looks like he got shot in the face, thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a true story
. Plus all the stories I hear at the SPCAâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s I have volunteered at through out my life. Those are most likely true. The dog I just got was severely abused by his old “Dad†because the girlfriend wanted it but the “dad†was annoyed by it
. I know that to be true, and my floor has urine all over it everyday if we look at him the wrong way to prove it. Plus i see so many heart wrenching stories on here about threats to cats, strays mysteriously "missing" etc.

I know everyone has his or her own opinions. Mine is I will never date anyone who hates animals. If you hate them, you donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have a lot of patience for them, and we all know you need A LOT of patience with pets. It would be a deal breaker for me if someone ever seriously asked me to get rid of my babies. Anyone who ever even asked me that dosnt care about my feelings at all, and has no respect for me.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silvionc

I know everyone has his or her own opinions. Mine is I will never date anyone who hates animals. If you hate them, you donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have a lot of patience for them, and we all know you need A LOT of patience with pets. It would be a deal breaker for me if someone ever seriously asked me to get rid of my babies. Anyone who ever even asked me that dosnt care about my feelings at all, and has no respect for me.
I might go to the movies or out to dinner with such a person who didn't like animals (not hate-there is a big difference between 'not liking' and 'hating,' after all), but I would certainly not consider a serious romantic relationship, much less marriage, with one.

I second the last sentence. Anyone who would seriously suggest I get rid of Zane as a condition for a relationship not only does not respect me and care for my feelings, but does not understand me and my feelings well enough to be in a serious relationship.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

Anyone who would seriously suggest I get rid of Zane as a condition for a relationship not only does not respect me and care for my feelings
They might not like the answer they get either if they consider the answer a condition for the relationship
(Waving bye-bye to them)

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

They might not like the answer they get either if they consider the answer a condition for the relationship
(Waving bye-bye to them)
There's no icon for a boot to the rump.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I couldn't read every post, but I agree with the poster who said that someone who loves you wouldn't make you get rid of your pet.

If you're a real animal person and you guys get married, what happens then? Your girlfriend doesn't have to be picking up the cat every five minutes and smooching it, but she ought to be able to befriend the cat enough that things are cool between them. Does she (your girlfriend) ever do things like throw something at the cat or spray water at her to get her go away, which could explain the cat's hostility?

Her being the human, with the thinking brain, it's incumbent on her - not the cat - to take some simple steps that will make things peaceful at home. If your cat has a treat she's crazy about, have Jen repeatedly put some down on the floor for her.

Does she just not have much experience with cats? I was afraid of them until I was a teenager because my only experience with them was my best friend getting her cat all riled up and then leaving me alone in a room with him
Once I had a cat of my own, I fell in love.