My cat is Satan himself, I need help!!!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for this picture.  What a cutie. The colouring and markings on his face are really subtle, very pretty.   

The little soul still looks quite sick, his white inner eyelid showing suggests this.  Is Ace still on any med's from when he was at the vets the other week?  If the med's are all finished it is worth taking him back to see the vet.  This is probably contributing to his wanting to hide a lot and maybe also being less tollerant with people.  He is doing remarkably well to have as much energy as you describe if he still has an infection going on - which it looks like he does.  I hope he gets well soon: did you find out from the place you got him if HALO was about his having some special needs and what this was?  Whether it was his biting or an infection or virus?  It would be very useful for you (and anyone advising and supporting you on what Ace might need) to know this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelwngs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thank you for this picture.  What a cutie. The colouring and markings on his face are really subtle, very pretty.   

The little soul still looks quite sick, his white inner eyelid showing suggests this.  Is Ace still on any med's from when he was at the vets the other week?  If the med's are all finished it is worth taking him back to see the vet.  This is probably contributing to his wanting to hide a lot and maybe also being less tollerant with people.  He is doing remarkably well to have as much energy as you describe if he still has an infection going on - which it looks like he does.  I hope he gets well soon: did you find out from the place you got him if HALO was about his having some special needs and what this was?  Whether it was his biting or an infection or virus?  It would be very useful for you (and anyone advising and supporting you on what Ace might need) to know this.
This picture was taken when he was still sick.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
  I'm glad he is feeling better then!  He looks sweet.  
  Plenty energy for play.....   How is he doing on the playing, biting and bunny kicking this week? 

angelwngs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I'm glad he is feeling better then!  He looks sweet.  
  Plenty energy for play.....   How is he doing on the playing, biting and bunny kicking this week? 
He's still doing it quite a bit.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I figured he would be as it tends to take a while, especially if you are changing habits rather then adopting a little kitten who's just left its mom and siblings.  You are now building your new relationship with Ace and I am very hopeful you will see things change for the better.  Have you noticed any change at all?  When he bites or latches on and bunny kicks how are you reacting now and what happens?  Is there anything you think has been working well for you?

Thinking about potential patterns and triggers with the biting and scratches:

What play and feeding routine, if any, do you have with Ace?  What is your typical day like?  
  1. Does Ace have food access at all times or set times?
  2. Does he get you up at 5 am biting at your feet or your face, run about your home sounding like a herd of elephants until you get up to feed him, play by himself until you get up then go hide somewhere, or something else?
  3. Do you play with him when you get up, or try to, around the time you put down any morning food?  
  4. Does he get left alone during the day and if so is it for a long day or short periods?  If you are in during the day do you play with him? 
  5. When you've been out and come in the door is there a pattern of behaviour or routine? 
  6. When you play with Ace, roughly how long do you do this for each time?  
  7. When you stop, what tends to be the reason you stop?  
  8. Is there a time of day or a situation you think he bites you more often? 
  9. If you pick him up, what does Ace usually do?
  10. Do you play with Ace before you go to bed, and or give him a treat or some food?
  11. When you go to bed does Ace go before you, follow you, or stay up on his own? Is he allowed in your room at night, and if so does he jump on you, bite and scratch?
I used to sleep on a futon and my cats at the time seemed totally unable to differentiate between the floor and the futon: the result was me being trampled and pounced on when ever they were running around. 

angelwngs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I figured he would be as it tends to take a while, especially if you are changing habits rather then adopting a little kitten who's just left its mom and siblings.  You are now building your new relationship with Ace and I am very hopeful you will see things change for the better.  Have you noticed any change at all?  When he bites or latches on and bunny kicks how are you reacting now and what happens?  Is there anything you think has been working well for you?

Thinking about potential patterns and triggers with the biting and scratches:

What play and feeding routine, if any, do you have with Ace?  What is your typical day like?  
  1. Does Ace have food access at all times or set times?
  2. Does he get you up at 5 am biting at your feet or your face, run about your home sounding like a herd of elephants until you get up to feed him, play by himself until you get up then go hide somewhere, or something else?
  3. Do you play with him when you get up, or try to, around the time you put down any morning food?  
  4. Does he get left alone during the day and if so is it for a long day or short periods?  If you are in during the day do you play with him? 
  5. When you've been out and come in the door is there a pattern of behaviour or routine? 
  6. When you play with Ace, roughly how long do you do this for each time?  
  7. When you stop, what tends to be the reason you stop?  
  8. Is there a time of day or a situation you think he bites you more often? 
  9. If you pick him up, what does Ace usually do?
  10. Do you play with Ace before you go to bed, and or give him a treat or some food?
  11. When you go to bed does Ace go before you, follow you, or stay up on his own? Is he allowed in your room at night, and if so does he jump on you, bite and scratch?
I used to sleep on a futon and my cats at the time seemed totally unable to differentiate between the floor and the futon: the result was me being trampled and pounced on when ever they were running around. 
Haven't really noticed any change at all. We try and get him to stop if he bites and latches on and bunny kicks in some way. Don't really know what to say to that question. He kind of was responding to spraying him with water but not enough to where he doesn't bite anymore.

Q. What play and feeding routine, if any, do you have with Ace?

A. I don't really feed him at a specific time and we play whenever he wants to.

Q. What is your typical day like?

A. He bites constantly pretty much unless we are playing with him.

Q. Does Ace have food access at all times or set times?

A. All times.

Q. Does he get you up at 5 am biting at your feet or your face, run about your home sounding like a herd of elephants until you get up to feed him, play by himself until you get up then go hide somewhere, or something else?

A. Yes, Yes, No.

Q. Do you play with him when you get up, or try to, around the time you put down any morning food?  

A. He has access to food at all times so the answer I guess is no.

Q. Does he get left alone during the day and if so is it for a long day or short periods?  If you are in during the day do you play with him?

A. Long day. He has a cat food and water feeder so I usually leave him there by himself while I go stay the night at my boyfriend's apartment for a day and a half. We have tried taking him over there to stay with us but he acts exactly the same.

Q. When you've been out and come in the door is there a pattern of behaviour or routine? 

A. He's really nice when we first come in and then all of a sudden he turns into monster cat.

Q. When you play with Ace, roughly how long do you do this for each time?

A. For about 25-30 minutes.

Q. When you stop, what tends to be the reason you stop?

A. He stops wanting to play.

Q. Is there a time of day or a situation you think he bites you more often? 

A. All day and if I am trying to put his harness on him to take him outside.

Q. If you pick him up, what does Ace usually do?

A. He usually sits there for a couple minutes calmly and then he starts scratching and biting.

Q. Do you play with Ace before you go to bed, and or give him a treat or some food?

A. When I was with my former boyfriend I was around him all the time and no I didn't play with him before I went to bed.

Q. When you go to bed does Ace go before you, follow you, or stay up on his own? Is he allowed in your room at night, and if so does he jump on you, bite and scratch?

A. He usually goes about the same time but sometimes stays up on his own. Yes, he has jumped on me and bit and scratched sometimes when I went to bed at night.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

He's still biting. Me and my boyfriend are hoping he will grow out of it once he gets a little older.
Short bit first:-D  I hope so to!  It is not always an instant fix although I know some members have had quite speedy results with their fur-fiends.  It took me several months with Mouse but I am a great believer that if you can find a way to communicate with each other and understand what is behind the biting you can get it in check.

It is great to learn more about your experiences with Ace, and at the moment I get the impression he is a high energy cat that takes a lot of play and entertainment to burn off all that kitten / young cat energy he has. I also think he enjoys human company and wants to play with you.  

I think Ace is a high energy, high play drive cat and is looking for human company.  Because of his energy and how easily he is stimulated it can be challenging to get the communication right so you can play with him without him being over excited.  Also, if he has long periods without play he is more likely to have all that energy bursting to come out so when he does see you after a break he is likely to be in a high state of arousal: then it is difficult to keep clear lines between the affection and the play.  Aggression as a result of him feeling over stimulated is a likely cause of the biting you experience when you first come in and he greets you. The longer you have been out the more heightened this experience is likely to be.

Suggestion: short pampering with slow movements and quiet talking, and then quickly shift in to offering games or toys to play together with him.

I suspect he needs to play more than the half hour, and although he will stop and seem bored, cats often like to rest then come back in to play, or watch as if they are hunting and you feel stupid carrying on: very often they then get annoyed that you have stopped because if they were hunting they would watch for long periods before pouncing or stalking and you haven't played by the same rules.  If he doesn't use enough energy and have enough stimulation his energy will build up and he will be more likely to stalk and pounce on you, or suddenly leap and you and bite and arm or leg after sitting quietly.  

Suggestions:  Watch out for when he starts to look like he is watching or more alert, or if his back end is starting to rock like he is going to pounce and get in with a toy or game first. Play for 25 or 30 minutes as fast as you can with feather wands / fishing rods or what ever gets him going, under blankets or sheets, in and out of boxes or what ever to keep it exciting, and when he stops, take a break for 5 to 10 minutes then look to restart the game or introduce a different one. Play for an hour or more in an evening if you can.  If you are busy, take a short break every half hour or so to chat to him and offer a quick play session as this might avoid his seeking to get your attention by latching on to your arm or leg.  (I have been there)!

For picking him up and holding him:  I suggest lifting and holding him for brief periods and then putting down, or lifting and letting him sit on your arm/s but not held and stand close to something he can jump off on to if he wants so he is not held there.  See how long he tolerates this without being stroked and petted, and if he leans in to rub on you.  If he rubs in to you respond and if he doesn't then let him be.  Take his lead.  If he looks as if he is getting tense or more stimulated and likely to bite then put him down.  Move slowly and smoothly and avoid jumpy movements.  When you are 'holding' him talk softly and quietly to him.

For the leash, are you taking him out on the leash or trying to get him used to it?  If he is biting when it is being put on I suggest holding back from introducing the leash until he feels calmer and more trusting of being handled.

Play before bed time:  Suggestion - a regular routine can work well for cats and helps some feel secure and safe.  Play before bed also helps with the night time disruption for you and your BF - if he is tired when you go to bed he is more likely to sleep when you want him to!  A good half hour full on play session in the hour before you usually go to bed, followed by offering a treat, or refilling a food bowl you have allowed to stand empty for a while can go a long way to a cat settling for the night. It probably won't work on the first night but over time it can definitely set you up for a better sleep when you are there.

I am not one of the site members who goes by the regular meal times and wet food, partly due to necessity with my lifestyle and partly because Mouse is on a prescription diet of dry food only.  However, I do think it is a valuable tool for your cat to strongly associate you with food and treats as well as play and cuddles.  Having a healthy snack like a freeze dried chicken or fish piece, or some of his favourite dry food handy to give during and after play sessions gives an added positive association with you, and if you do this particularly after the bed time play he is less likely to get you up a short time later looking for attention and food.  If you feed dried food then it can be thrown so Ace can chase and catch it adding to your games, and if he starts biting the food stops! When you are out a lot like we both seem to be, then I am with you - you do not want your cat to be left without food or water.  At times when you are in you might want to have a more direct association as it adds a positive dimension to the two of you being together.

This is all about building trust, building relationship and picking up on each other's communication, and burning off as much of Ace's energy as possible while developing his positive associations with you and your BF.

I am a broken record on the negative / punishment approaches as I believe they interfere with and delay what you want to achieve with your cat, and in the end any improvements in behaviour that you are looking for are going to take longer if they happen at all.  Please try not to use the water spray or similar techniques with Ace if you can, he sounds like a cat that is easily aroused and calm, cool approaches are going to be more effective.

Thank you for staying with this.  I apologize for the length of my posts, but hope there is something in them that makes sense and helps you make progress with Ace.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
One question seeking update on how you are getting on: do you have a sound or word you are using when Ace in biting / bunny kicking?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
If you say no to him for other things you don't want him to do, choose another sound so he doesn't confuse the sound you use when he hurts you.  No is too general for them as we say it all the time and they just ignore it - as you noticed.... 
    Ow,  off,  ahh,  anything short and simple you don't use for anything else.  Use it consistently because that is how Ace will learn and associate it.

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also try a cat shelf or cat tree so ace has somewhere high to go scratch and climb if you just leave food out all day you arent really spending much positive but calm time with him try set times for a little wet food this may help as he will associate the positivity of food with you also when you leave him to spend time at yoyr boyfriends place how long is he ledt on his own an hour or two or is it more like day's?

Last edited:

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay anglewings for starters I think ace would benefit from some interactive toys that can be played with when you are not home. like a kong kickeroo this gives him something to bite and bunny kick. Also I think you need to positive association in your routine with ace when you play and he doesn't bite reward him with a tasty treat. He will come to associate the treats with desired behaviour. Also I think ace will respond to a strict feeding schedule where he gets fed so many times a day. This also goes for playing. And finally am I correct in the fact you leave ace alone not only when you are at work or college but for a day and a half while you see your boyfriend? This could ve bad for ace hes already gone through alot in his life before ending up ina shelter so he probably sees you leaving for this long as abandonment! I hope you dony mind me saying but for the sake of ace I would advise your bpyfriend come to ypeur place so you dont have to leave ace for such a long period of time on his own. And finally are you still spraying ace if so please stop this will only add to his mistrust and fear of you. I hope this helps and you do not feel offended by anything I have said as I and everyone else giving you advice here as we just want things to get better for ace and yourself. Good luck and I hope this helps

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It would he helpful to know how much time you are with Ace at this point, if you are both out for work during the day on a regular basis and, staying at your boyfriend's place.  @StephieDoodle is right in saying that your staying out for long periods and leaving Ace alone for long periods will affect any trust relationship and may well be causing Ace considerable stress. It will also limit any time you have to build up a routine and relationship with Ace.

How many nights do you spend at home with Ace each week?

How long are you in each working day, and how many days a week is it you work?

Are there any days that you are in most of the day and then  in over night?

angelwngs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also try a cat shelf or cat tree so ace has somewhere high to go scratch and climb if you just leave food out all day you arent really spending much positive but calm time with him try set times for a little wet food this may help as he will associate the positivity of food with you also when you leave him to spend time at yoyr boyfriends place how long is he ledt on his own an hour or two or is it more like day's?
I go see him and take care of my other animals every other day. I also have fish and birds.

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If your only there every orher day why keep pets they are not getting the attention and care rehey need if you are not consistently there for them lilly is never left aline at for for longer than a few hours a day if that whats stopping toue boyfriend coming and staying with you so that tou can care for your animals for their physical and emotional needs its cruel on a base level to expect them to deal without you for that length of time

sanmav2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, i'm new to this site and just reading up on stories about cat parents who have a very aggressive furry feline. Have you resolved the problem with your kitty's behavior?