My cat is Satan himself, I need help!!!

angelwngs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok so my cat is Satan in a cats body. He never lets me pet him. He is biting me almost 24/7. He is almost 1 year old. He will be 1 on the 10th of this month. He bites my legs, arms, hands. He is horrible. I just got him on the 11th of December so I haven't had him long. I am taking him to the vet tomorrow at 11:15 AM to see if the vet can tell me what his problem is. I did change his name from Tosser to Ace so I have no idea if that's the reason. I have scratch and bite marks everywhere and I can't take it anymore. I'm about ready to get rid of him because I wanted a cat for a companion animal but he's just Satan. What do I do?

Last edited by a moderator:

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to our site!  I can imagine how difficult it is to have your cat constantly biting and scratching you.  We have many knowledgeable members here at TCS that have dealt with challenging cats that will be able to offer some advice soon

Last edited:

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a kitten, if you haven't had one in awhile they can be Satan. It may be he is under stimulated and is using you as a chew toy. Have you tried to get maybe a fishing pole toy and some fur mice and play with him often? Catnip maybe good too. They eventually calm down but if you are waiting for it it seems too long

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Angelwngs, so sorry you're having these frustrations with your new kitty.  A few questions...
  • Does he have a cat tree?
  • Any scratching posts?
  • How many toys does he have and what kinds? 
  • How many times a day does he have play sessions?
  • What do you do as a reaction to his biting and scratching?
Sorry for so many questions, but the answers will help us give you advice. 

I agree with Hexiesfriend that it sounds like he may be a bit understimulated. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelwngs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Angelwngs, so sorry you're having these frustrations with your new kitty.  A few questions...

• Does he have a cat tree?
  • Any scratching posts?
  • How many toys does he have and what kinds? 
  • How many times a day does he have play sessions?
  • What do you do as a reaction to his biting and scratching?

Sorry for so many questions, but the answers will help us give you advice. 

I agree with Hexiesfriend that it sounds like he may be a bit understimulated. 
No he has a scratching pad that hangs on the doorkn ob. He has 2 toys here at my boyfriends place. I do have a fishing poll toy but it's at my place. We never have play sessions because all he wants to do is bite us. I spray him with water but that doesn't seem to do much. We used to just spank him but he never learned from that. And please don't tell me i'm an animal abuser. I was just trying to discipline him. I don't know how the most effective way is obviously.

angelwngs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend is 53 I'm 24. He has been dealing with cats and training cats for 40 + years.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First, spanking an animal is not only counterproductive as you are learning, but completely inappropriate.  Animals in general do not learn by negative reinforcement.  If anything, it makes the situation worse as they begin to fear you and act out more because of it. 

Second, is your cat neutered?  I don't think anyone else mentioned the possibility that if he has not been that this too could be part of the problem.  An male cat that is not fixed can be all kinds of rambunctious.  

I also don't understand how he is biting you when you play with him with items such as fishing pole toys.  These are specifically designed so that you do not have to be near the cat - you can play with him and help him expend his energy from a safe distance.  Could you explain this better?

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't take to discipline because they don't understand it. His aggression could be a result of those treatments. 

I use the water bottle technique to train Oliver, but I used the wide spray setting and sprayed it in his direction and above him, so it would mist down over him. It didn't instill fear in him, rather just made him uncomfortable enough to avoid the behavior. He's neither afraid of the bottle itself or of water (he jumps in the shower just after I get out almost every day, and he plays in the stream of water from the sink while I brush my teeth).

I also use redirection with him. I just pick him up and move him away from whatever he was doing "wrong," keeping in mind that cats don't know what wrong is. When he bites me, as kittens do when they're being playful, I just push him away. If he persists, I use the redirection and put him away from me. 

These instances when you've spanked him, was that for biting? And if so, did his bites draw blood?

Last edited:

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No he has a scratching pad that hangs on the doorkn ob. He has 2 toys here at my boyfriends place. I do have a fishing poll toy but it's at my place. We never have play sessions because all he wants to do is bite us. I spray him with water but that doesn't seem to do much. We used to just spank him but he never learned from that. And please don't tell me i'm an animal abuser. I was just trying to discipline him. I don't know how the most effective way is obviously.
Well, there you go... negative discipline pretty much doesn't work on cats, at least cats that wind up with a healthy outlook. Such means utilize fear and a fearful cat is a defensive cat that bites.

Biting is a result of boredom (pent up energy) such that to get attention. And, all a cat can do is be a cat... they have limited ways of expressing when they are emotionally unhappy (after all, they don't have thumbs so they can't text you).

Seriously - first line of defense is acting like a momma cat and hissing for an inappropriate action, second line is a loud "owwwwwwwww." Third line (harder) is simply pull yourself away and ignore. All three of these make the experience less pleasant for the cat. Then the trick is to stimulate pleasurable activities that provides the cat with attention.

A toy like da Bird or Mouse catcher can be tried. Purpose, to burn off energy/boredom - leaving a tired cat ready to accept being petted. But keep in mind, some cats become overstimulated with too much petting and lash out - a poor human example is being tickled. Distract and redirect.

Now that much being said, my little Ragdoll (supposedly a calm breed) kitten was impossible (learned kittens are kittens are kittens. So, before he got too old I found a compatible sister, went though slow, careful introductions and the two love playing with each other. No biting left for me, more fun to chew on his sister's ears. Since they have their nightly olympics, I'm left with all the loving goodness. Where he used to grab and bite me when I went to pet him, he now rolls over and begs me to pet him.

That's all I've got. The techniques I told you I tried, sort of worked (and can work very well), but in the end, it was getting a play pall that solved all the biting problems and was  totally worth it.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Punishing him will probably make him bite you more. He is a kitten and he uses your hand as a toy by biting it and uses your leg as a toy by swatting it. He needs a toy replacement and he needs to be stimulated by it. I think you have a cycle with not wanting to play with him because he bites. If you look at it in a different light that being he is not being nasty on purpose it may be easier to deal with. The hardest part with him biting is trying not to react. A cat with let go of your hand if you stop moving your hand the more it moves the more your cat will want to bite. A cat's natural tendency is to revert to hunting a prey. A moving hand or foot or leg is like a bird or insect in the wild. No one is trying to insult by giving advice on this subject I hope you are not taking it that way.

fluffybeard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
An only cat his age needs way more interaction from you. He needs more toys and things to simulate hunting. You don't have to spend a fortune. The best toys my cat has cost next to nothing. Ping pong balls are a favorite. They also like to chase tape measures you can just crumple up a ball of paper and get him chasing after it. Also a stuffed animal he can grab and rabbit kick would be really good. It helps to have toys within reach for when he gets really rough. Toss one in the other direction to get him away from you.

Unfortunately hitting cats backfires cause in a weird way it rewards them for rough housing. You've become your cat's sparing partner. And if you hit him hard enough he is just going to be afraid and bite more. Cats are not humans and do not understand spanking is a punishment like we do.

Never play rough with him with your hands or fight back in anyway. Even pushing him away when he attacks is rewarding to him cause that's what he wants to do - wrestle and play fight with you. That's just how kittens are.

You need to do lots of play with him and once they turn into biting/scratching episodes, let him know it is not okay. Yelp, hiss or blow air in his face and stop the play session until he calms down. Leave the room if he keeps attacking.

You can search for more info on rough play on this site cause it is an extremely common problem. But you need to be diligent to train him away from it and it won't happen overnight.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You've gotten a lot of good advice already.  One other thought I had; do you know much about his life before he came to live with you?  Kittens who are not raised by their Mama long enough sometimes behave like this because they didn't learn it's just not appropriate.  Either way; I think our members have already pointed you in the right direction to start.  And I'm glad you will have a vet visit tomorrow too! 

There are a few articles that might also be helpful to you: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/cat-aggression-toward-people, http://www.thecatsite.com/a/playtime-aggression, http://www.thecatsite.com/t/20837/ouch-how-to-stop-cat-aggression-toward-people, http://www.thecatsite.com/a/cats-and-discipline-dont-mix, http://www.thecatsite.com/a/cat-play-the-rules-of-the-game.

I hope that doesn't overwhelm you; I think they all have useful information.
  What you are dealing with is deffinitely frustrating!  (re: discipline; we all have to learn somewhere!  We're here to help!
)

fluffybeard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another thought. You mentioned you have toys at your place and your boyfriends place. Does that mean you take him back and forth? If that's so, I would think that would contribute to his agitated state. Cats are highly territorial and moving around is stressful for them.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes a young cat learns to scratch and bite while he was a very young kitten, when interacting with his former family/person.

It is so cute when they are super small, but it is definitely a learned behavior and no fault of his own. Try to keep that in mind when he does this. I know how hard and very frustrating it surely can be.

He sounds like he is fuill of un-used energy, as most kittens and young cats are.

Vigorous exercise and playtime, a laser toy, wand toys, feather toys, or the simplest things like ping pong balls as mentioned, or the toe of a thin sock, knotted with catnip inside. Just get creative.

If he is given regular playtime it will also help him learn what is good play and what is not allowed, biting/scratching, as well as burn some of his excess energy off.

Spanking definitely is NOT effective, and will actually cause alot more harm than you intend I'm sure.

You wouldn't want him to lost trust or fear you if you raised your hand or arm when you are near him.

Many times when I am adopting out kittens, I will talk to the adoptors about the possibility of adopting a pair, this is a big reason why. A lone kitty gets bored and frustrated, when there are 2, they wear each other out and this gives you more calmer tuime to enjoy.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Other than the excellent advice and suggestions you've already received, consider giving him some jumbo drinking straws to chew on.  Many kittens love them.

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I learned the hard way Spanking and spraying is seriously a no go it teaches them nothing but to be fearful of you and defensive of their behavior I'm not gonna reiterate what so many more qualified cat owners have told you but I have found a soft quick unexpected tap on the nose when doing something naughty often stuns them long enough to redirect their attention. Try a range of toys and scratching surfaces until you find something he loves our girl loves Berber carpet which I have yet to find a cat tree anywhere that uses this type of material.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Angelwings, welcome and wondering a few things. If I missed this, sorry, but is the cat Neutered? If not, I am sure the vet will explain that this is most likely the problem with the playful aggression. And, that is what it is - he is full of energy and needs an outlet. I would also recommend having three or more play sessions with your cat, Ace. (and I don't think changing his name made him this way ;)). Neko Fliers --> link https://nekoflies.com/ are EXCELLENT toys for very energetic young cats. I have a couple of these wands with interchangeable toys which are absolutely irresistible to all cats. PLEASE take note though.... do not leave a wand toy of any kind out for the cat to chew and ingest the string which they all will do. Put all wand toys in a cabinet, out of sight when not being played with. Having these play sessions will help to also calm him and settle him down. Do you have any vertical space in your home for him such as those very tall cat trees? Two side by side so he can jump from one to the other? Cats love and need to climb.

Cats LOVE routines and schedules as well. Feeding schedules, playtime, naptime, etc. The loving/snuggling will come and you have not had this cat very long at all. He needs time to adjust and feel safe and loved. Since you have only had him one month and he has been spanked and sprayed then he is not feeling safe YET. I can't imagine how he must be feeling. :( Cats are so sensitive and he is in a new environment, new home with two people he doesn't know or trust yet and already and so quickly, he is being disciplined?! He needs loads and loads of patience and love.

This kitty obviously has had an already sad past and you may not know what has happened to him. Has he been tossed from home to home? A stray? Living in shelters? Of course, he will have some behavior issues then, poor little guy and needs to have stability for once. It will take much time and patience to figure each other out. Since your BF has so much cat experience then I assume he already knows that patience is of the utmost importance here. Being scared by any form of discipline will only exasperate his behavior, fear and insecurities. Once you give an animal (or person) permission to be themselves. without criticism, the walls can come down and everything improves. He is a beautiful cat - the one in your avatar - and I hope that things work out for him. :vibes:
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

angelwngs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

First, spanking an animal is not only counterproductive as you are learning, but completely inappropriate.  Animals in general do not learn by negative reinforcement.  If anything, it makes the situation worse as they begin to fear you and act out more because of it. 

Second, is your cat neutered?  I don't think anyone else mentioned the possibility that if he has not been that this too could be part of the problem.  An male cat that is not fixed can be all kinds of rambunctious.  

I also don't understand how he is biting you when you play with him with items such as fishing pole toys.  These are specifically designed so that you do not have to be near the cat - you can play with him and help him expend his energy from a safe distance.  Could you explain this better?
Yes my cat is neutered. He doesn't bite me when I play with him with fishing poll toys. He is biting me when I'm not playing with him and I'm just trying to pet him.

angelwngs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Cats don't take to discipline because they don't understand it. His aggression could be a result of those treatments. 

I use the water bottle technique to train Oliver, but I used the wide spray setting and sprayed it in his direction and above him, so it would mist down over him. It didn't instill fear in him, rather just made him uncomfortable enough to avoid the behavior. He's neither afraid of the bottle itself or of water (he jumps in the shower just after I get out almost every day, and he plays in the stream of water from the sink while I brush my teeth).

I also use redirection with him. I just pick him up and move him away from whatever he was doing "wrong," keeping in mind that cats don't know what wrong is. When he bites me, as kittens do when they're being playful, I just push him away. If he persists, I use the redirection and put him away from me. 

These instances when you've spanked him, was that for biting? And if so, did his bites draw blood?
I have used the water bottle technique on him and it doesn't seem to really bother him. He already likes water just like your cat Oliver so it doesn't bother him to where he will stop doing it. He is constantly jumping up on the counter in the bathroom and watching me wash my hands so clearly he likes water a lot for some weird reason. And yes, when I was spanking him it was because he had bit me. And yes a couple times they did draw blood. I have red scratch and bite marks all over my arm. But I took most of your guys advice and stopped spanking him.

angelwngs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Well, there you go... negative discipline pretty much doesn't work on cats, at least cats that wind up with a healthy outlook. Such means utilize fear and a fearful cat is a defensive cat that bites.

Biting is a result of boredom (pent up energy) such that to get attention. And, all a cat can do is be a cat... they have limited ways of expressing when they are emotionally unhappy (after all, they don't have thumbs so they can't text you).

Seriously - first line of defense is acting like a momma cat and hissing for an inappropriate action, second line is a loud "owwwwwwwww." Third line (harder) is simply pull yourself away and ignore. All three of these make the experience less pleasant for the cat. Then the trick is to stimulate pleasurable activities that provides the cat with attention.

A toy like da Bird or Mouse catcher can be tried. Purpose, to burn off energy/boredom - leaving a tired cat ready to accept being petted. But keep in mind, some cats become overstimulated with too much petting and lash out - a poor human example is being tickled. Distract and redirect.

Now that much being said, my little Ragdoll (supposedly a calm breed) kitten was impossible (learned kittens are kittens are kittens. So, before he got too old I found a compatible sister, went though slow, careful introductions and the two love playing with each other. No biting left for me, more fun to chew on his sister's ears. Since they have their nightly olympics, I'm left with all the loving goodness. Where he used to grab and bite me when I went to pet him, he now rolls over and begs me to pet him.

That's all I've got. The techniques I told you I tried, sort of worked (and can work very well), but in the end, it was getting a play pall that solved all the biting problems and was  totally worth it.
I would think about possibly getting another cat for him to play with but at my apartment complex you can only have 2 animals on the lease and I might want to get a dog for a companion animal so I probably won't get another cat.