My cat is pregnant

melodie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my cat was about to give birth she started panting and crying, Never let her to give birth under your bed! Just in case there are complications because if she does have complications giving birth you may not be able to reach out for her.

Here are a few useful tips-

When cats are about to give birth their rectal temperature will drop below 100 degrees F (37.8 degrees Celsius) She will stop eating and she will want a lot of attention wanting you to know that she is about to give birth. Sometimes cats will dig around in the litter box, dont let your cat give birth in the litter box because the litter will suffocate the kittens so it is best to let her give birth in a cardboard box with lots of blankets and towels to keep her and her kittens warm, it is very important that you keep the mom warm because her temperature has already dropped below a 100 degrees. Your cat will also be cleaning her genitals to prepare for giving birth,

Birth

When cats give birth, they pant because of the amount of oxygen left in her due to the fact that the kittens are being pushed towards the birth canal, every time a kitten is born a placenta is attached to it along with the umbilical cord attached to the kittens abdomen, the mother cat usually eats the placenta so dont worry, the umbilical cord is also cut away by the mother, if your cat does not eat the placenta or chew away the umbilical cord then get scissors and cut the umbilical cord and the placenta  , do not cut the umbilical cord too short though. It is important that you dont interrupt your cat while shes giving birth because you could get her more stressed than she is, it is better to just watch  unless you cat is experiencing some complications. If the kitten appears to be stuck in the birth canal , try and gently pull the kitten out, dont pull the kitten out too hard or else the kitten could die, if this does not work then you would have to get your cat to a vet imediently because your cats life could be in risk if this happens.

Breathing

The cat must lick the kittens face so all the fluids could be cleared from its nose, if your cat does not do this then you have to get a tissue or cloth and wipe the kittens face and inside its mouth to clear its airways, if the kitten is making gurgling sounds, not moving or bubbles are coming out then clean its mouth and face or wrap it in a cloth and gently rub the kittens back to stimulate breathing, if this does not work then keep the kitten in the cloth and swing it up and down like an arc several times till the kitten moves and breathes.

Remember, you can only sell the kittens when they are 3 months old, i asked a vet and they told me this

Cats will also stop eating 1,2 or 3 days before giving birth, Make sure you have a bed or a cardboard box for her

melodie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymamaof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry been off a few days laptop wasnt working . still no babies now im thinking she is so large duet to a large litter all she has been doing is sleeping and meowing for me. so she is getting a lot of extra attention. and thank you i think she is beautiful too. here is  pic of her when she was a baby.

melodie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry been off a few days laptop wasnt working . still no babies now im thinking she is so large duet to a large litter all she has been doing is sleeping and meowing for me. so she is getting a lot of extra attention. and thank you i think she is beautiful too. here is  pic of her when she was a baby

AWWWWWWW omg She was so cute when she was a baby [emoji]128518[/emoji] Now she has become a big beautiful princess, the kitties will definitely be beautiful just like her[emoji]128516[/emoji][emoji]128516[/emoji]

kittymamaof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i cant wait till they come! had a scare yesterday she got out in the basement took about 2 hrs to get her shes not eating much today and just sleeeping   

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Very healthy looking babies! That's awesome! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

kedimama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow they are so cute, as is mummy, congratulations on your new babies.

kedimama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for this very informative advice, it is a great help to me.

kittymamaof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She had them last night between 3 and 6 i was up at 2:30 and she was fine followed me i went back to bed and when i woke up i heard the little kittens, she never ones cried out. shes such a good mama and she ate and played up in till the day they were born