My cat has urinary blockage/obstruction :(

katnaps

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi The Cat Site community.

Well, my poor baby has just been diagnosed with urinary blockage. We noticed that he has been running back and forth to the litter box all morning, and being on there for a minute or two each time. We took him to his vet thinking he has UTI...His vet instructed us to take him to the emergency room. When we got there, they gave him a shot of methadone and blood test. A few hours later, they performed the procedure to unblock his urethra. Turns out, he has mucus and tiny crystals. I'm going to visit him in a little bit, but I don't think i'll be able to bring him home for another few days. I'm hoping the cat community can give me some advice and insight on the challenges we will face when we take him home.

FYI, he has always been eating dry food with the occasional Fancy Feast Appetizer. I'm sure it doesn't help that he only drinks faucet water. We have another cat at home (his brother). Should we start feeding him wet/canned food as well? They are about to turn 7yo in October.

It also does't help that the vet said most of the time UO will reoccurs once a cat has experienced it...I am freaking out, and a total mess.

Thanks for reading. Any advice/experience stories would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Thank you all!!

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, I know how this can make you panic, and I'm sorry the two of you are going through it.   I have a 5 year old Maine Coon that I adopted as a semi-feral two years ago.  This past January he developed a blockage in his urethra.  I rushed him to my vet, who was able to unblock him.  They did an ultrasound and told me that he had either stones or blood clots in his bladder.  His urethra blocked twice more while still at the vet's that day, so he stayed in the clinic's hospital for five nights, getting treatment - sedation, antibiotics and sub-Q fluids. The small blood clots in the bladder dissolved and have never returned, so his diagnosis was idiopathic cystitis, meaning they had no idea what caused it.  When he was sent home, I was given a prescription for special food for him (Hill's Urinary Care c/d Stress wet food).  He despises that food.  I tried him on two other prescription foods and he'd rather starve than eat them.  As a former feral, we eventually decided that stress caused his blockage to occur.  Unlike your boy, he had NO crystals.  Any blockage can be deadly and requires immediate veterinary care, as you know.

My boy was allowed no dry foods, which was fine because he is a wet food lover anyway.  I feed my cats an all-wet, grain-free diet, mostly Wellness complete grain-free canned and Abound Turkey & Giblets Grain-Free canned from Kroger.  Abound is the same food as the grain-free wet cat food sold at Tractor Supply stores across the country.  I have watched Tigger carefully for the past 5 months, checking his litter box usage, and his pH using pH strips, and he's never had another problem.  I believe in homeopathic and alternative treatments as well as traditional veterinary medicine.  I give Tigger Get Naked Urinary Health chicken and cranberry treats morning and evening.  These are dry and he loves them. I also add Natural Pet Urinary Tract Irritations to his fresh water daily.  Both items can be found online at Chewy.  Tigger eats what my other cats eat, no prescription food for him, although he isn't allowed fish due to the phosphorus content.

Also, depending on what type of crystals your kitty has, Wysong makes a supplement for oxalate crystals http://www.chewy.com/wysong-biotic-ph-supplment-10-oz/dp/44731 and for struvite crystals http://www.chewy.com/wysong-biotic-ph-supplment-975-oz/dp/44732    

If you decide to feed your baby a prescription diet, have your vet's office fax your prescription to Chewy. This link is to a page that includes their fax number: http://www.chewy.com/hills-prescription-diet-cd-multicare/dp/54783  Their prices on prescription food cannot be beat.  They are far less expensive that what vets charge for them, and Chewy delivers to you in two days.  

There is also a kit you can purchase on Amazon to obtain a urine sample in special sand.     You take the urine in the little collection pipette to the vet and they run the test for you.  Far better than taking him in for a urinalysis.  Another of our members, @Red Top Rescue  , is an expert on feline urinary tract problems and a pro at guiding you through the use of pH strips. You might want to send her a PM for advice.  She's amazing. She has saved sick cats even vets have given up on.   I wish you and your sweet boy all the best.  

Last edited:

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat's blockage has not reoccurred it's not a guarantee but it does happen. I would make sure he is not released from the vet before he pees on his own for them. The important thing when he comes home is to make sure he is peeing. You will be sent home with pain medicine and a muscle relaxer to relax the bladder. At first he may have a few accidents adjusting to the relaxer medicine but then he should be fine. Also at first he will be very hesitant to pee because of the pain and inflammation. I had a few false alarms running my cat back to the vet because mine hesitated a few times and nothing came out but it's better to be safe. You will be following your cat to the litterbox listening for that pee stream for the next few weeks and that's normal. I'll still do it on occasion with my cat to check and it's been 2 years for my cat. As long as he's peeing it's good. You will need to switch to a prescription diet. I use Purina if you can switch to all wet food that's good. I'd put more water bowls our too. You'd be surprised seeing a cat drink out of a water bowl just because he walked by it. The more diluted the urine is the better. Everyone is worried sick after their cat comes home and you will be too but as long as you know what to look for it's half the battle.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Urinary obstruction does not have to recur, although it sometimes does immediately after the first one just because of swelling and irritation.  You need to get rid of all dry food for both cats (slowly if they resist, but there are ways to get them changed over.  You need to feed them a MEAT based wet food (pretty much grain free) and guess what -- the pate versions of Friskies, Sheba and Fancy Feast fit that description, and if you are near Tractor Supply Company, they have grain free wet food for 69 cents a can, so you will not be spending a fortune like you will on the prescription foods.  A diet high in meat (animal) protein, with moderate fat and LOW carbohydrates (10% or less) fed in smaller amounts, i.e. spread over 3 to 4 feedings daily, will naturally acidify the urine, and struvite crystals will dissolve.  A diet high is moisture, i.e. wet food and with a little extra moisture added at the beginning until the bladder heals, will flush away any calcium oxalate crystals before they can turn into stones, so you don't need a prescription diet for that either.  You DO need to get him off dry food as fast as you can, however, because that is what is causing the urine to be too alkaline and too concentrated, and thus both kinds of crystals can clog up the system.  This is a simple description -- I will send you some links to read via PM for the in depth description.

Hopefully the vet will give you some buprenex pain reliever when he first goes home.  He is much more likely t relax and urinate if he is not in pain.  The two NSAID based pain relievers for cats (Onsior and Metacam) must be used very sparingly and cannot be used for a long time, and in my opinion, they are not strong enough to handle the type of urethral pain he will be having for a week or so until he starts to heal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katnaps

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These are very helpful. Thank you!

I went to visit my boy earlier and he was still a little loopy from the 24 hr pain meds they have him on. He seemed lovey when i went to give him a scratch. The vet seems optimistic and thinks he might be able to go home tomorrow night if he pees on his own tomorrow.

Still, I cant help but think this was my fault or could have been prevented.

Thanks again for sharing

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't blame yourself I think a lot of this is based upon your cats anatomy. I had male cats for 30 years before I had just one with a blockage. This kitty had a congenitally small urethra, I think that's a nice way of saying he has a small penis and those kitty's with those small ones are more susceptible to blockages. Your baby will be fine and hopefully home soon.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
These are very helpful. Thank you!

I went to visit my boy earlier and he was still a little loopy from the 24 hr pain meds they have him on. He seemed lovey when i went to give him a scratch. The vet seems optimistic and thinks he might be able to go home tomorrow night if he pees on his own tomorrow.

Still, I cant help but think this was my fault or could have been prevented.

Thanks again for sharing
I don't think there is a cat parent on this site who hasn't blamed herself/himself at times.  With my boy, Tigger. the vet simply had to call his blockage idiopathic because there was no physical reason for it and it had to be attributed to the stress semi-ferals feel.  That said, when he was being fostered before I adopted him, he was, of course, fed dry food.  Dry food is simply not a cat's friend, and yet there are still vets today who recommend and sell the corn-based so-called "prescription" dry foods and far too few vets who give good dietary advice at all.  If you put a little extra filtered water in his wet food, and switch his brother to wet food as well, you will hopefully never have to face this terrifying situation again, and will have a much better chance of avoiding so many things down the line caused by these inappropriate foods.  An obligate carnivore needs meat protein with the appropriate vitamins and minerals, not plant protein, carbs and fillers.

I had a boy who lived to be almost 19 years old.  I didn't get him until he was 7 years old, and he had been fed dry food (of course) up until then.  He was my first cat and I fed him the dry food the vet who put him up for adoption recommended.  This cat had belonged to an elderly couple.  He was an indoor/outdoor cat and the lady would take him to the vet's office every Friday for a bath and a brand new flea collar, so obviously they cared a great deal for his wellbeing.  The lady died and her husband went to live in a nursing home, so he boarded Tiger at his vet's office.  When the man's money ran out, the vet planned to euthanize this beautiful 7-year-old Maine Coon!  Every person there tried to adopt Tiger, but he was huge and he was just plain MEAN.  He would attack children and dogs and didn't care much for other cats, either. He bit, he clawed, he slashed people, and he had a bad temper.  All of these sweet vet techs would take him home and the very next day, back they would be with Tiger.  They were terrified of him.  My own dog had just passed, and as a last resort, my daughter begged me to give him a home.  I finally agreed, and - voila! - another Cat Slave was born. lol  Although within months he was making every step I did, it took three years to truly gain his trust, but he ruled from the moment he entered that house.   I was blessed to have him for almost 12 years and he never once had a blockage, so you see, lots of times we really don't know why these things happen.  

I'm much more informed about cat health now, but back then, I fed him what I was told to feed him - dry food.  I added wet food shortly after that because I tried it and he loved it.  He thrived, and was such a healthy cat until the end of his life, although he still enjoyed his dry food occasionally. The entire time he was mine, he had one bad cold, and that was it.   He died at almost 19 of complications from surgery to remove a resorptive tooth lesion, going through the surgery well, but having a small stroke on the way home from the vet's.  I gave him hospice care for months and he died in my arms, a very quiet and peaceful natural passing.  He was a part of my heart, this mean old cat who didn't like anyone had become my beloved baby.   I blamed myself for allowing the surgery.  But without it, he would have been in terrible pain and would probably not have lived as long as he did.  

So we do the best we know how to do for them, and we educate ourselves.  If we don't, they will certainly provide an education for us!  Don't blame yourself, just be thankful that he's doing well, he's coming home, and love love love him.  It is obvious you do love him, and that is the most important thing you can do for him.  Be vigilant about his litterbox habits, feed the type of wet food @Red Top Rescue  recommends, and your boys will both have a far better chance at lifelong health.  We're here for you and for them.  Please keep us updated about him.  . 

Last edited:

katnaps

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Heres an update on Prince. The doctors removed the catheter about 12 hours ago and he has not been able to or scared to pee. About 4 hours ago the vet out the catheter back in after numbing his penis, his stream of pee came right out. We brought him home over 2 hours ago and he has hopped in and out of the litter box for about 15 times with little or no pee! I am a little freaked out. The vet said if he doesnt pee by morning, I will have to take him back in.

Has anyone experienced similar situations?

I think his brother knows something is up...He has kept his distance ever since. :(

This is heartbreaking and frustrating.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did the vet send home any pain meds for him?  They often don't and I do not understand that.  It's the pain that causes the reluctance to use the litter box.  If he did not prescribe a pain medication and you do have to take him back in the morning, insist on something for pain when he is brought home again.  Or call and ask for something tomorrow.  My cat was sent home with Buprenex.  This can become a vicious cycle as long as they're hurting.  The pain makes them stressed and tense, which in turns causes the bladder to stay inflamed.  Pain meds break that cycle.  Prayers for little Prince.  He's going to make it through this.  Try to get some rest.  You are not alone, sweetie.  Hugs.

katnaps

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah, sorry I failed to mention that he did get pain meds and anti biotics, but Im not supposed to give him that for another 4 hours. I guess i'll keep an eye out until then.

Again, thank you everyone for the kind and comforting words

katnaps

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am beyond myself right now. I don't know what to do. Prince has re-blocked and needs to do the procedue again. :(. I feel so bad for the little man.

Thanks for listening. I think I just needed to vent. I hate that there is nothing I can do

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's a very panicked feeling, believe me I know, but many cats reblock.  A good vet can get Prince past this and it sounds as if you have a good vet.   Reblocking is quite common and vets deal with cats who reblock every day.  I am praying for you both.  Please keep us updated on the little boy.   Big hug!

katnaps

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. Went to visit the furry son today. He looks loopy and lively again as he is on meds. This time the vet put a standard/larger catheter in so hopefully it will flush everything out. Apparently the previous one was smaller. Again, they are optimistic and I shall remain hopeful. Thanks again all for lending an ear. I think I'll be able to bring him home in 2 days.

catiebc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hopefully your kitty gets better soon! My cat just had this problem a month ago. Your vet seems very helpful. I know it's a bit of money, but see if the vet would keep him for a day or two longer. TK didn't come home for 4 days when he had this. The vet should be giving him prescription food. I'm glad you are seeing your kitty. When I went to see my kitty at the vet he got so excited to see me that he did pee! Hopefully yours will do the same :)

katnaps

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again all....I do not understand what is going on with my baby boy. So, this was his SECOND unblock. I went to see him yesterday and he was in the same situation as before. The vet could express his bladder and pee would come out, but he absolutely refuses to pee on his own. My husband and I went and got the litter he normally uses at home and a fancy feast appetizer (which he loves) and see if he would pee in his usual litter. My vet called this morning and said he still has not peed on his own, but they expressed urine out every few hours (not a lot, but something...vet thinks he might have a little blockage) She is having me think about a PU surgery (I do not want to have to resort to that). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

At this point, I am really scared for him and feel like I have failed him. I also have not read a lot about PU surgery yet, because I was hoping it wouldn't have to resort to that....

Thanks again

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear this.  There is not really any way to know why he isn't urinating.  Perhaps he remembers that it was painful.  Your vet sounds like a very concerned and caring vet.  I don't know much about PU surgery either, but here is a link to all of the TCS threads by members whose cats have had the surgery:  http://www.thecatsite.com/newsearch?search=PU+surgery   Again, you two are in my prayers.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Thank you for all the helpful tips, MaggieMay. 
Oh, sweetie, you are more than welcome.  I am praying hard for Prince.  It's so completely distressing to know he isn't better, I know that helpless feeling all too well.  We are here for you and Prince.

katnaps

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet just called... She's still manually expressing Prince's bladder to empty it. I think the sneaky boy has discovered a new level of laziness; someone helping him pee. He no longer has to do that himself :) .  Kidding aside, the vet thinks there might still be something teeny tiny in there. When bladder is expressed, an uneven stream of pee comes out. 

She said I basically have two options.... 1) The PU surgery, or 2) Try unblocking again but this time leave the catheter in for about 3 days and try to flush everything out.

Anyone had similar experience with the catheter inside for a few days?

I'm still hoping he'll pee on his own in the next few hours.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

The vet just called... She's still manually expressing Prince's bladder to empty it. I think the sneaky boy has discovered a new level of laziness; someone helping him pee. He no longer has to do that himself :) .  Kidding aside, the vet thinks there might still be something teeny tiny in there. When bladder is expressed, an uneven stream of pee comes out. 

She said I basically have two options.... 1) The PU surgery, or 2) Try unblocking again but this time leave the catheter in for about 3 days and try to flush everything out.

Anyone had similar experience with the catheter inside for a few days?

I'm still hoping he'll pee on his own in the next few hours.
When Tigger had his blockage and reblocked, he had his catheter in for four days and was given Sub-Q fluids.  It worked well for him.