My cat has urinary blockage/obstruction :(

rosa bood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My daughter's cat has the same diagnosis. I am so worried about the cat because he has been having serious problems voiding urine for 1 month. However both Vets she took the cat to are not very concerned that he still has blood in his urine at times and sometimes he only urintes a tiny spot...like today so far. I have had many cats that had difficulty urinating and crystals in their urine but none of them took this long to get better. If the cat was having steady improvement with his urination I would feel more positive. I rescued my daughter's cat 1 year ago then adopted him to her. "Bo" is a young,2 year old,neutered,male cat. I am an animal rescuer. I am very emotionally attached to him. Best wishes with your kitty! I'm sure you are feeling emotional also at this difficult time also.

rosa bood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would you please tell me how many days did it take for your cat to start urinating good after he was on a muscle relaxant and pain medication?

rosa bood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm my daughters Vet sold her dry and canned Science Diet food. Did your Vet specifically say "No dry food" ? I'm very curious?

rosa bood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Isn't a prescription diet dry food o.k. to feed a cat with urinry problems? If not would you please explain why or send me a link that explains why. Thank you very much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katnaps

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Isn't a prescription diet dry food o.k. to feed a cat with urinry problems? If not would you please explain why or send me a link that explains why. Thank you very much.
Well, Prince has been peeing good steady streams about 2x a day; but this is because he had the PU surgery about 2 weeks ago. He has about 5 more days before his stitches come out. I've dealt with this for a month also, so I don't think that is very uncommon. I first brought him in 6/9/16 and he blocked 3 times almost back to back, which is why we went through with the surgery (last resort).

My vet recommended either Hill's or Royal Canin prescription diet (He is on Royal). Canned is preferred over dry, but my vet told me that I can give him some dry once in a while. 

I am only speaking from what I know and what I have been told by my vet. I am still getting myself familiarize with Prince's condition, and nowhere near an expert, so please consult your vet.

Hope your Bo is feeling much better :)

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Here you go:  http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutrition/why-dry-food-is-bad-for-cats-and-dogs/  This is the cause of so much inflammation throughout the bodies of cats, including urinary tract problems.  I do give my boy who had a blockage Get Naked Urinary Health treats which are dry; he gets several of these in the morning and in the late afternoon.  They contain lots of cranberry, which is great for urinary tract health.  But as far as food, he is a wet-food, grain-free fed boy, as all of mine are.  I think Bo would do much better on wet food.  I so hope he gets better soon.  Urinary tract infections, irritations and crystals in the bladder are all painful for them.

Last edited:

rosa bood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your prompt reply MaggieMay! :) I apreciate you giving me your opinion. :)   I would like to get other's opinions still so please leave me comments. Thanks everybody!

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Thank you for your prompt reply MaggieMay! :) I apreciate you giving me your opinion. :)   I would like to get other's opinions still so please leave me comments. Thanks everybody!
It isn't actually my opinion.  It's a conclusion reached after much research, anecdotal evidence, talking to holistic vets and studying my own cats.  Cats are obligate carnivores, which means their bodies do not make certain amino acids that they must have in order to function well and, in many cases, in order to survive.  They are obligated to eat meat.  That's what obligate carnivore means, and I really hope that you Google that term if you're a cat owner.  Years ago, vets said that dry food was good for our cats, and vets these days really learn no different.  They don't learn about nutrition unless they go on to become holistic vets.  They learn pharmacology. The only time I have ever had a vet suggest a diet change was when Tigger had a urinary blockage in January.  I looked at the ingredients in the wet "prescription"  food.  There is nothing "prescription" about those foods.  That is a marketing gimmick and the ingredients are cheap and awful.   My cats eat WAY better than that!  I will not have their digestive and urinary tracts in states of chronic inflammation because they are trying to digest something they are not meant to eat.  Chronic inflammation leads to disease down the road, for us and for our pets.

If you want lots of opinions, you might want to start your own thread asking about dry food for cats with FLUTD.  Believe me, you will get LOTS of opinions then.  Your request may go unnoticed here unless a member has subscribed to this particular thread, as I had.  I wish you and your cats the best, and I am hoping you do your own research on the subject of obligate carnivores.  I also recommend having pain meds on hand for Bo, since he is having a urinary problem.  I will always have Buprenex in my refrigerator after Tigger's blockage in January - the very least we can do is make sure these babies aren't hurting, and I highly recommend taking Bo to a vet very soon..

rosa bood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
MaggieMay I hear you. :) You are very knowlegeable...more than I am! :)  I am still trying to learn a lot about cats nutritional needs. Bo is my daughters cat that I adopted to her 1 year ago. Bo has been under a Vets care for 4 weeks now. He is on pain medication and an anti-spasmotic drug also. He was on oral antibiotics for 3 weeks but the Vet stopped them as of Sunday. However he was given a long lasting antibiotic injection on Saturday. I'm trying to learn more about the health of cats and I also want to share whatever I learn with my daughter. It will then be up to her if she believes what she reads or not. Thank you for all of your help MaggieMay! Sincerely,Rosa Bood

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

MaggieMay I hear you. :) You are very knowlegeable...more than I am! :)  I am still trying to learn a lot about cats nutritional needs. Bo is my daughters cat that I adopted to her 1 year ago. Bo has been under a Vets care for 4 weeks now. He is on pain medication and an anti-spasmotic drug also. He was on oral antibiotics for 3 weeks but the Vet stopped them as of Sunday. However he was given a long lasting antibiotic injection on Saturday. I'm trying to learn more about the health of cats and I also want to share whatever I learn with my daughter. It will then be up to her if she believes what she reads or not. Thank you for all of your help MaggieMay! Sincerely,Rosa Bood
Rosa, I knew NOTHING about cats when I agreed to save my first one.  He was about to be put to sleep because he was a 7-year-old, 20-pound Maine Coon handful and he was aggressive and mean as could be. No one could keep him, they all brought him back the very next day.  I had just lost my dog and had no pet, and I was begged to take him.  I had no idea what I was agreeing to, but Tiger became my baby, my love, my best friend. It took us three years to get to that point and he was awful!  And I learned from him, from his little sister Maggie (I thought cats needed friends like dogs do), and from each of my current four.  Thank goodness for the internet and for this forum.  You will learn more here than you can even begin to imagine.  I am so happy to know that Bo has pain meds.  Cats are so good at hiding pain.  One of our members here, @Red Top Rescue  is extremely knowledgeable about all things concerning cats with urinary problems.  She saves the ones that the vets give up on.  Since I've mentioned her, she will see this.  You might want to send her a PM as well.   I really do wish you would start your own thread because you would get so much more exposure for your question that way.  You are obviously very loving and concerned and want the best for your babies.  I will keep little Bo in my prayers.  Hugs, sweetie.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Well, Prince has been peeing good steady streams about 2x a day; but this is because he had the PU surgery about 2 weeks ago. He has about 5 more days before his stitches come out. I've dealt with this for a month also, so I don't think that is very uncommon. I first brought him in 6/9/16 and he blocked 3 times almost back to back, which is why we went through with the surgery (last resort).

My vet recommended either Hill's or Royal Canin prescription diet (He is on Royal). Canned is preferred over dry, but my vet told me that I can give him some dry once in a while. 

I am only speaking from what I know and what I have been told by my vet. I am still getting myself familiarize with Prince's condition, and nowhere near an expert, so please consult your vet.

Hope your Bo is feeling much better :)
So happy Prince is doing so well.  You did the right thing for him and it sounds like he's well on the road to recovery.  Yay!

rosa bood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is actually my daughter's cat however thank you Katnaps. Best wishes with your kitty! I 'm happy to hear the surgery seems to be a success! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katnaps

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

So happy Prince is doing so well.  You did the right thing for him and it sounds like he's well on the road to recovery.  Yay!
He really is! i'm so excited that this whole ordeal for him is about to be over soon. This last month has been so stressful for him, but he has been sweet and forgiving throughout. His personality never went away (which was what I was afraid of). His appetite is back to normal as well as his sense of adventure. He has been under 24 hour surveillance since his surgery and yesterday he managed escape detection and jumped up to my kitchen counter to do some bird watching. Next step is for me to research better food options for him. :)

As always, thanks for your kind words. :)