My cat had partial tail amputation

KaylaT6889

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Monet had partial tail Amputation two days ago, after getting the tip caught in the door hinge. She had an extremely long skinny tail now it will probably be averaged sized after healing and the fur comes back I take it. I have been a wreck. She is my baby. I just would like any advice I can get. She has been eating since she got home but won’t drink water so I’ve been mixing water in with her food. She hates the cone and her tail has stitches in it they didn’t bandage it, and she is finding ways to try to flip it in the cone or will get out of the cone. They gave her an antibiotic shot but didn’t send me home with any antibiotics because they said anything that was at risk of infection was removed and the surgery was sterile. She has used the litter box once to pee and then today she got up and peed on a blanket instead of the litter box. I did go get her a lower liter box. It’s also very hard to give her her medication gabapentin and meloxicam, which she only has one more day on the meloxicam, but they gave me gabapentin I think to last a week it is liquid and she growls at me and makes these noises I’ve never heard and I feel horrible because I know she is not understanding what happened. I’m also trying to keep her separated from the other two cats which has been hard cause my big boy will not stop hovering around her I know he loves her but I’m just paranoid of her getting an infection. I’m freaking out because I go back to work on Wednesday. Any advice is appreciated or if anyone has been through this with their cat and can let me know anything. I’d be so thankful. I’m sorry for rambling but I have so much anxiety she’s my baby and I hate that this happened to her.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome!
Would there be a vet tech at your vets clinic who wouldn't mind a little extra $ and could stop by to help?

Maybe there's someone on Rover. .com who can help? Registering is free, and doing that gives you a much better view of reviews, numbers of repeat customers, skills etc al.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am not sure there is anything that can mask the terrible taste of gabapentin, but you could try mixing it with a lickable treat, or something like the 'juice' from canned tuna in water, with a bite of tuna as a treat afterward.

I don't know if reading through other posts from those who have had to deal with their cat's tail being amputated will help, but just in case (some of the posts are only indirectly related) -
Search Results for Query: tail amputation | TheCatSite

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am guessing that they used Convenia as the antibiotic as it would be long lasting and prevent you from having to give pills. If it was that medication, it lasts for 14 days, stays in the system for 65 days. It would explain that you were not given more antibiotics.

Liquid gabapentin is terribly bitter. Pharmacies like Wedgewood can compound it for you if that would help. Is she hard to pill in general, or is this a reaction to the gabapentin?
Gabapentin for dogs and cats: Uses, Dosage & Side Effects

I have done tail amputations on ferals who got into fights and had gangrenous tails. They only stayed at the vet's for a day or two and were released back to their territory and everyone healed. I am not encouraging you to take this lightly, but I do think that she will heal. If she will continue to go after the tail, she does need the cone. There are alternative cones that can be used if that style is the problem.

7 Cat Cone Alternatives for Recovery - Vetstreet
This is just one site with alternative cones. If you google, you will find more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KaylaT6889

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I am not sure there is anything that can mask the terrible taste of gabapentin, but you could try mixing it with a lickable treat, or something like the 'juice' from canned tuna in water, with a bite of tuna as a treat afterward.

I don't know if reading through other posts from those who have had to deal with their cat's tail being amputated will help, but just in case (some of the posts are only indirectly related) -
Search Results for Query: tail amputation | TheCatSite
thank you I’ll check out the post and see if I can try the treat thing with her I appreciate it.

KaylaT6889

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am guessing that they used Convenia as the antibiotic as it would be long lasting and prevent you from having to give pills. If it was that medication, it lasts for 14 days, stays in the system for 65 days. It would explain that you were not given more antibiotics.

Liquid gabapentin is terribly bitter. Pharmacies like Wedgewood can compound it for you if that would help. Is she hard to pill in general, or is this a reaction to the gabapentin?

I have done tail amputations on ferals who got into fights and had gangrenous tails. They only stayed at the vet's for a day or two and were released back to their territory and everyone healed. I am not encouraging you to take this lightly, but I do think that she will heal. If she will continue to go after the tail, she does need the cone. There are alternative cones that can be used if that style is the problem.

This is just one site with alternative cones. If you google, you will find more.
I’m not sure what antibiotic they gave her I have to reread her paperwork right now she’s passed out on my chest. I have the cone on her I only take it off to give her the medicine. I ordered a harness in hopes that if I tie the gauze that’s around her now into an actual harness it will be more helpful. It’s just a nerve racking experience for me I’ve owned cats all my life and never have had anything like this happen and it sucks to see your animal hurt and in so much pain. I think I’ll feel so much better after she gets her stitches out in 12 days from now since this is day 2 cause she’ll be more herself then. I will check out the link to cones cause I don’t like how this plastic digs into her at all. Thank you so much for your reply. I feel a bit better after reading your experience with the ferals.

KaylaT6889

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome!
Would there be a vet tech at your vets clinic who wouldn't mind a little extra $ and could stop by to help?

Maybe there's someone on Rover. .com who can help? Registering is free, and doing that gives you a much better view of reviews, numbers of repeat customers, skills etc al.
I’ll have to check out Rover and see. As far as a vet tech the vet clinics are all short of staff since Covid hit. I might also see if my aunt can watch her and I’ll buy her one of those large play pen carriers, my client loves cats but his brother is deathly allergic so I was thinking about bringing her to work but I can’t due to his brothers allergy.

KaylaT6889

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Also she’s never had to have any medication before whether ist pill or liquid. I don’t know if that may be why I do what the vet told me to do to give it to her it’s just she doesn’t want to take it I think.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you think she would take the gabapentin in pill form? We cut the gabapentin capsules in half, each of us carefully holding a half so the powder didn’t come out, then wrapped pill pocket dough around each half, and coated them with a Temptations treat paste, and she would eat them this way.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry this had happened to your cat.
Liquid Gabapentin is disgusting tasting and honestly, I don’t know why vets continue to prescribe it. When your Vet hospital opens ask for the capsules. I have had luck sprinkling the contents of the capsule onto the food.

Tail amputations are hard for cats. There have been several posts regarding them lately.

There are different types of collars available for cats. You can look at a major pet store or search on line.

You can put a camera to monitor your cat while your away.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello my little girl recently was on a liquid antibiotic and I found that while she was sleeping kind of on her side faced away from me if i went up behind her and woke her up I'd tilt her head up slightly and put the syringe in the corner of her mouth pointed to her throat she took it way better than if i tried while she was fully awake. This is just something i tried with her and it worked.. it may or may not work for u or you may find a better solution all together. Either way good luck and patience is key too.. The antibiotic she was on was awful it was so bitter and just plain disgusting. Maybe this can help... and the doughnut cones do work and are way more comfortable. I hope everything goes well and she heals up super fast.
If you are able to get the gabapentin in pill form that would be good as well. Best wishes. Hoping for a speedy recovery!! Hugs to your fur baby 😺 🐈

Last edited:

KaylaT6889

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you think she would take the gabapentin in pill form? We cut the gabapentin capsules in half, each of us carefully holding a half so the powder didn’t come out, then wrapped pill pocket dough around each half, and coated them with a Temptations treat paste, and she would eat them this way.
I’m not sure I do get her to take the gabapentin via the vets instructions how to it’s just sad because I hate having to give it to her like this where she doesn’t want to take it.

KaylaT6889

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello my little girl recently was on a liquid antibiotic and I found that while she was sleeping kind of on her side faced away from me if i went up behind her and woke her up I'd tilt her head up slightly and put the syringe in the corner of her mouth pointed to her throat she took it way better than if i tried while she was fully awake. This is just something i tried with her and it worked.. it may or may not work for u or you may find a better solution all together. Either way good luck and patience is key too.. The antibiotic she was on was awful it was so bitter and just plain disgusting. Maybe this can help... and the doughnut cones do work and are way more comfortable. I hope everything goes well and she heals up super fast.
If you are able to get the gabapentin in pill form that would be good as well. Best wishes. Hoping for a speedy recovery!! Hugs to your fur baby 😺 🐈
I’m counting down the days til she gets her stitches removed. Today is day 3 on the 14th she gets her stitches out I got her two soft cones that I put her in so she can sleep comfortably as I watch her then switch her to the hard cones she hates I have to keep a constant eye on her cause she’s very flexible and is finding ways to get her tail inside every cone including the doctors one I wish I could wrap her tail with something but my vet said it wouldn’t be productive to do so and would make her mess with it more.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m counting down the days til she gets her stitches removed. Today is day 3 on the 14th she gets her stitches out I got her two soft cones that I put her in so she can sleep comfortably as I watch her then switch her to the hard cones she hates I have to keep a constant eye on her cause she’s very flexible and is finding ways to get her tail inside every cone including the doctors one I wish I could wrap her tail with something but my vet said it wouldn’t be productive to do so and would make her mess with it more.
I definitely respect the fact that she is finding a way to get to her tail even with the cone on as my girl was reaching her spay incision by literally folding herself in half and reaching the very end she was scratching it with the edge of the cone... is there anyway u can get a larger cone? I had to explain to the vet how she was reaching her surgical site and the vet was like oh she is a tricky girl and gave us a larger cone the size for medium size dog they r longer... it did help.. I literally had to double cone her for a couple days lol (first picture) until I took the small cone off and taped the larger cone so it wasn't so wide on her but it was long enough.. (the second pic kind of shows how i folded and taped it but u cant really tell, i just folded some over and taped it with medical tape) this was before I put her in a onesie she gave us a heck of a time trying to figure out what to do to keep her from her incision.. ***[I know with the larger cone my baby couldn't reach her tail]*** as she is very ocd about cleaning... I hope you can figure something out for your girl so she doesn't have the urge to keep trying to get at her little tail and it can heal quickly..

Attachments

KaylaT6889

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I definitely respect the fact that she is finding a way to get to her tail even with the cone on as my girl was reaching her spay incision by literally folding herself in half and reaching the very end she was scratching it with the edge of the cone... is there anyway u can get a larger cone? I had to explain to the vet how she was reaching her surgical site and the vet was like oh she is a tricky girl and gave us a larger cone the size for medium size dog they r longer... it did help.. I literally had to double cone her for a couple days lol (first picture) until I took the small cone off and taped the larger cone so it wasn't so wide on her but it was long enough.. (the second pic kind of shows how i folded and taped it but u cant really tell, i just folded some over and taped it with medical tape) this was before I put her in a onesie she gave us a heck of a time trying to figure out what to do to keep her from her incision.. ***[I know with the larger cone my baby couldn't reach her tail]*** as she is very ocd about cleaning... I hope you can figure something out for your girl so she doesn't have the urge to keep trying to get at her little tail and it can heal quickly..
I think if I stack the cones like you did or if I got abd cut posterboard and place it around it and duck tape it to the cone that may be the way to go that’s a great idea. Originally the vet tried to put a bigger cone on her but she’s tiny so she got out of the makeshift harness and cones 🤦🏻‍♀️ she’s very crafty I have to mention she also got the cage open at the vets and they had to zip tie her in. A lot of my stress with her is she is a cat who will figure every way possible to do what she wants. I have a harness that just came from Amazon that I’m gonna try on her when she wakes up cause she’s knocked out at the moment in the crevice of my arm.

Attachments

KaylaT6889

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also your furrbaby is precious ❤😍

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can use the inflatable donut, then the soft blue collar, flip the blue collar down like a cape. Try that. Also ask your vet if you can increase the Gabapentin. I would try that. The problem is you have to be careful how much weight you add on to their neck. I know it’s hard, but so far she hasn’t chewed the sutures out. Also the obsession with the tail tip can be pain so make sure there is adequate pain control as well as the Gabapentin.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if I stack the cones like you did or if I got abd cut posterboard and place it around it and duck tape it to the cone that may be the way to go that’s a great idea. Originally the vet tried to put a bigger cone on her but she’s tiny so she got out of the makeshift harness and cones 🤦🏻‍♀️
When I did this I had to put her collar on her on the inside of where the cones are because the larger cone was for a med size dog and she is a small girl she would use her paw step on it and back out of them lol... but with her collar inside it gave kind of like a little barrier and she couldn't push the cones past her collar and slip out of them then..
I think that if you took poster board and cut a piece a few inches wide and wrap it around the end of the cone it might just work I think she just needs the cone to be a little longer to where she won't be able to get to her tail. In my opinion I really think it's worth trying.. sometimes we have to really think outside the box because our babies can be so smart and very persistent.
Your little baby looks so comfy right now!!!
I agree with silent meowlook that it may be pain related... and have you talked to your vet about any possible solutions that may be better for her I did when my girl was spayed that is how we got the longer collar and onesie...
The double cone thing worked on my girl but may not work for what you need for your baby... just stay positive and patient and I think you will find the right solution for you and Monet.

I do want to add that the type of cone we used was super light and flexible.. not a heavy plastic one so it did not affect having extra weight around her neck that is something to keep in mind as well.. I really agree with everything silent meowlook posted.

Last edited:

KaylaT6889

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can use the inflatable donut, then the soft blue collar, flip the blue collar down like a cape. Try that. Also ask your vet if you can increase the Gabapentin. I would try that. The problem is you have to be careful how much weight you add on to their neck. I know it’s hard, but so far she hasn’t chewed the sutures out. Also the obsession with the tail tip can be pain so make sure there is adequate pain control as well as the Gabapentin.
Interesting that could be something to try. I was gonna try the stacking cones. Usually she’s always been obsessed with her tail it was extremely long pre surgery so the behavior im not sure if it’s cause it’s typical for her to groom or because she’s looking at it and is like what is that. I’ve been giving her the gabapentin every 8.5 hours as the vet suggested on her paperwork. So far today she has been pretty affectionate and extremely hungry but not so much thirsty so I’ve been mixing water in with the gravy in her food.