My cat Dallas.

gohabsgo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i put my cat Dallas down on April 17.i had her for 19 1/2 years.She was so soft and beautiful,loving,wongerful.she would sleep beside me most nights.When i was laying on th couch watching tv she would sit on my chest and i would pet her and tell her i love her.i used to call her my pretty girl cause she was.she was starting to stand still and just stare ahead.i think she was getting dementia.she was getting lots of mats on her fur,then Sunday night at 3am she woke me up as she was coming out of her kitty cave i made her and fell over.i put her on my bed and she was panting, i was petting her and she got better.i took her to the vet on Monday and the vet said she was dehydrated.we talked and i said i did not want her in pain,the vet was checking her and we decided to put her down.it broke my heart, now i feel so guilty that maybe i could of prolonged her life.the grief and pain i am felling is beyond words.i cant believe she is gone.im crying all the time.i left work early today, im in a daze i cant stop thinking about it.going home is torture but i have to, i have another cat Habby which i love.im so lost right now.im sitting in a local bar near my place in Toronto having a few beers.i hope im making sense.Thank you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello -
You are making total sense, I promise. There are many of us here who have been in your situation :grouphug2: . Nearly 20 years old is amazing and a testament to your loving care of Dallas.

It is the most difficult decision we have to make, but you made it with love and compassion for your wonderful friend.

Try some Cat Music for Habby. Something like classical harp music can be surprisingly helpful, or there's a website called RelaxMyCat which can help Habby.

This may help a little
Grieving

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. Your vet would not have suggested to put your beautiful girl to sleep if they they thought she could be pain free. You made the choice you made because you didn't want Dallas to be in pain. How can that be wrong. Your Habby will be feeling the loss too. You can be there for each other. Unfortunately grief is full of ifs and buts for no reason. Your girl will be in good company at the bridge :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gohabsgo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your support,
Hello -
You are making total sense, I promise. There are many of us here who have been in your situation :grouphug2: . Nearly 20 years old is amazing and a testament to your loving care of Dallas.

It is the most difficult decision we have to make, but you made it with love and compassion for your wonderful friend.

Try some Cat Music for Habby. Something like classical harp music can be surprisingly helpful, or there's a website called RelaxMyCat which can help Habby.

This may help a little
Grieving

gohabsgo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. Your vet would not have suggested to put your beautiful girl to sleep if they they thought she could be pain free. You made the choice you made because you didn't want Dallas to be in pain. How can that be wrong. Your Habby will be feeling the loss too. You can be there for each other. Unfortunately grief is full of ifs and buts for no reason. Your girl will be in good company at the bridge :rbheart:
Thank you, but i still feel guilty.i now i gave her a good life but i cant believe how painful this is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your support.does this make sense that this hurts more than when a human i know passes.
Yes it does. I felt the same when my boy crossed the bridge, so did my hubby. Your girl has been with you such a long time they are family. Believe me I was shocked that I could feel such grief about a cat. So it definitely makes sense.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It does make sense. Men who have been soldiers, or those who have lost their parents, have commented that the pain from this is the worst that they've had to deal with.

There might be something here that helps, these are Pet Loss Support individuals and groups;
Directory of Services – Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My sincere condolences over your loss of Dallas. It does make sense that you feel terrible for this loss. You took care of your fur baby for 19 years, cleaning litter, feeding and dealing with sickness. That is a long time you and Dallas were together. You did all that because of a cat's unflinching love. Something about them fur babies just takes your heart.

catdad61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My most heartfelt condolences on Dallas' journey over the Rainbow Bridge. There are not words to describe the anguish we all feel as our beloved pets make that journey.
A cats love is one of the most precious gifts a person can receive. They love you because they choose to, not because because they feel obligated to. It's a love you have to earn.
There will always be a part of your heart and soul that Dallas owns as with my cat Tiger who crossed last October owns a part of mine.
Take all the time you need to grieve, and we are all here for you when you want someone to talk to.
RIP Dallas.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Dallas, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Now you have done the hardest thing we ever have to you. You have put the good of a beloved companion above your own good and your own heartbreak. You walked Dallas to that Gate between This Adventure and her Next Great Adventure, and sent you love with her to guide her on her way. Now, from That Place Where All Things Are Known, she blesses you, and she sends her love, translated and purified into Love, back to walk beside you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Losing your little one can be much worse than losing humans in your life, because they were so innocent, so forgiving, and such an important part of our everyday world. They are actually closer to us than anyone else, a special part of your very soul.
Love is spiritual, so eternal. Dallas will be as close as your thoughts and prayers, the journey she now undertakes will always parallel your own. You will never get over this, you learn ways to handle it. Many people will not understand your grieving, because the love you shared with her for 19 1/2 years is as unique as a snowflake, yours and hers alone. Only people who have lost a little one themselves will empathize.
Listen to your vet, they have seen much suffering, they know when the time has come. Often we are in denial because we would never want to admit they have to go. 19 1/2 is like a 100-year-old human. You have to compare the quality of life against the quantity.
of course, you feel guilty. Guilt ALWAYS comes with grieving, no matter how old the loved one is or in what condition. You would have felt guilty too for letting her suffer. What you are going through is completely normal. Time is the only thing that dulls the sharp edges of grief. There is no time limit on grieving, it is what it is. Trey not to dwell on her end, but on the years of devotion and love she gave freely to you. Right now, don't dwell on the past, it can never be changed, or the future which you have no control over. Live in the right now, one day at a time, go into the future, and live it as you would have wanted for her to go on if you were the first to go. She wants no less. She left you a legacy of love, one of this world's greatest treasures, a cat's love.......RIP precious Dallas. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

gohabsgo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you,this site is great.Everyone on here is so nice,and it helps so much to talk about it with people who know what your going through.

gohabsgo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sincere condolences over your loss of Dallas. It does make sense that you feel terrible for this loss. You took care of your fur baby for 19 years, cleaning litter, feeding and dealing with sickness. That is a long time you and Dallas were together. You did all that because of a cat's unflinching love. Something about them fur babies just takes your heart.
Thank you,this site is great and all the people are so nice.i appreciate you talking with me.it's nice to talk to people who know what your going throughMost people would say its only a cat get over it.This has ripped my heart out.

gohabsgo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello -

This may help a little
Grieving

gohabsgo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi can i vent to you please?it's only been 5 days since i lost my kitty, but i almost cant take it.i feel so lost right now.knowing she is gone is breaking my heart.Going home is torture, she was there for 19 1/2 years.i have another cat Habby but it' s not the same.i love her too.I got Habby so Dallas could have some company when i wasn't there.I dont want to neglect Habby.i dont have internet at home so i have to go out to get wi-fi,at home watching tv takes my mine off it a bite.i watch tv in the bedroom before bed,Dallas always layed beside me now Habby is which is nice.i think of her before bed and as soon as i wakeup.this is like a horrible dream but it's not a dream.i have lost weight.This sight is helping,reading about other people going through the same as me is comforting and horrible at the same time.i hope that doesn't sound terrible.people talking about losing there pets month or years ago and still greiving breaks my heart.i read someone else's post about the greif and guilt and what if's and actions and i feel the same way.i guess i have a heart and care.i loved that cat so much i cant expain it,i was her world and she was a big part of mine but i feel i let her down. someone said they are part of your life everyday and you feel a bond with them more than most humans which is true.im sorry im just lost right now and in so much pain.

gohabsgo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Losing your little one can be much worse than losing humans in your life, because they were so innocent, so forgiving, and such an important part of our everyday world. They are actually closer to us than anyone else, a special part of your very soul.
Love is spiritual, so eternal. Dallas will be as close as your thoughts and prayers, the journey she now undertakes will always parallel your own. You will never get over this, you learn ways to handle it. Many people will not understand your grieving, because the love you shared with her for 19 1/2 years is as unique as a snowflake, yours and hers alone. Only people who have lost a little one themselves will empathize.
Listen to your vet, they have seen much suffering, they know when the time has come. Often we are in denial because we would never want to admit they have to go. 19 1/2 is like a 100-year-old human. You have to compare the quality of life against the quantity.
of course, you feel guilty. Guilt ALWAYS comes with grieving, no matter how old the loved one is or in what condition. You would have felt guilty too for letting her suffer. What you are going through is completely normal. Time is the only thing that dulls the sharp edges of grief. There is no time limit on grieving, it is what it is. Trey not to dwell on her end, but on the years of devotion and love she gave freely to you. Right now, don't dwell on the past, it can never be changed, or the future which you have no control over. Live in the right now, one day at a time, go into the future, and live it as you would have wanted for her to go on if you were the first to go. She wants no less. She left you a legacy of love, one of this world's greatest treasures, a cat's love.......RIP precious Dallas. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!
Your so right.Thank you for all your kind words about my Dallas.lm so lost and sad right now it's eating me up.it's so nice to talk to animal lovers on this site.knowing she's not in my life anymore is ripping my heart out.im so sad when im home and she is not there.Thank you.

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you have a picture of your baby? I had a glass photo made of my last 3 that passed. Batman, Rerun and Snicker. It's under the TV It's been 2 years and I still occasionally cry over Batman. He was the closest cat I ever owned. Time make things easier, but it does hurt. Remember, Habby also has suffered a loss and is hurting. Look at how Habby is trying to help you, cats feel things and know your pain. In time, consider saving another by bring it into your life. Each cat will bring you a different joy, all in their own way.
Hang in there and pet Habby a lot.

Last edited: