My Cat Breathes Weird When He Purrs?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried him on Wellness and Nutrience grain free with the same issues... he also had a rumbly tummy, bad darts and the burping and swallowing. Most of that has gone away now that he's on the "sensitive diet" BUT. The burps and swallowing! Hold on let me see if I can find the ingridents

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
rewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Pork Fat, Pork Meal, Egg Product, Whole Grain Corn, Chicken Liver Flavor, Lactic Acid, Oat Fiber, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, Taurine, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Iodized Salt, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Tryptophan, Mixed Tocopherols for freshness, Natural Flavors, Beta-Carotene

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Get him a food bowl that has obstacles in it, or a puzzle feeder.  That will slow his eating down, and you can see if he stops swallowing air that way.  If he still burps, farts, and rumbles you'll know it has something to do with his food.  And he'll enjoy the challenge  

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's what I was thinking Brian! I bought him this food bowl holder that is high up... I've heard that it's better for their digestion. Right now his is low to the ground. It hasn't arrived yet though!

But right now I'm just trying to talk myself off the ledge. One extreme to another for this cat mom [emoji]128546[/emoji] I am scared that he has FIP... then I think "HE WAS JUST AT THE VET!!!"

Being a worry wart is so tough! I've always been like this but ever since my old cat passed suddenly it's been in overdrive.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Again...BREATHE DEEP!  Do not, however, hyperventilate doing so!  @Brian007  had a wonderful idea with the puzzle feeders.  They will slow  him down AND stimulate his mind at the same time,  

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going to look into it today!!! Does it work with dry AND wet food?!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
His appetite is good correct? He doesn't seem to be in pain or miserable as a whole? If you don't see these signs your cat does not have a fatal disease or at least isn't suffering. Please calm yourself being anxious around your cat will make him feel anxious.

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Indy. He has a CRAZY appetite! He eats his food in minutes... and he is a very happy guy. Just the occasional weird purr, and he burps and farts lol. But bathroom and everything was normal PLUS a vet check! I need to calm down. Maybe I need to be sedated? Lol.

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also - Any constipation remedies? It seems as though poor Calvin hasn't pooped in a day or 2... I think it's because my upstairs neighbour returned home after a week of being gone and made a lot of noise. So much noise he was avoiding the bathroom to hide!!!! :( Still peeing as normal though.

Poor baby.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard pumpkin works for it but I've never been able to get my guys to eat it. They just pick it out and spit it on the floor.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
For the pumpkin, you need to buy unsweetened pumpkin puree, with nothing else added to the ingredients.  Mix 1tsp in with his food once a day.  If it doesn't seem to be quite doing the job, increase it to 2tsp per day.  Do not go over 1tbs.  Pumpkin had a double therapeutic action and treats diarrhoea as well, it's handy to have a spare tin in the back of your cupboard (for diarrhoea treat the same as you would for pumpkin).  

alexis keefe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What exactly does it sound like?  Your cat could be wheezing.  My cat purrs with a weird pitch to it because she has asthma.

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The pumpkin worked! :)

And Alexis, did your cat show any other symptoms? Calvin just has his weird purr. But it seems to only happen when he is VERY happy!

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will also add that I did have an other cat that had asthma, and he would have coughing fits weekly. Calvin doesn't have that! I hope.

alexis keefe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No for years she had no other symptoms, just a weird purr.  I didn't even know until she got older.  I guess it started to get worse because she started to get asthma attacks.  It was only then that I realized that she was wheezing!

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow Alexis that is good to know!! Thank you so much. I'm going to keep this in mind for my next vet visit. Did they diagnose your kitty through x-rays?!

alexis keefe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No x-rays needed just her symptoms were enough for the vet.  She has a lot of her attacks at night, and when she does she gets low while expanding her shoulders.  She is trying to get as much air in her lungs as she can.  The vet does not want to put her on meds because the side effects are worse than the severity of her asthma.  And there are only 2 cats in the world that have been able to be trained to use an inhaler!  FYI
  Good luck!  I hope that my girl 'Hope' doesn't get any worse!