My Cat Breathes Weird When He Purrs?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Get some rest!  Don't stop posting just because things are going well!  We'd miss you!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that one of those supposed dog proof boxes that top load ? I always thought they would be uncomfortable for the cat.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought the opposite was true and that cats prefer top entry, he looks pretty pleased with it to me.  I need a jumbo tray as Duddley's now 14.8kg and still growing.  I don't where I have room to put it though.... The trials and tribulations, hey.  

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe I'm just accustomed to cats with disabilities and the elderly. My old cat had one but it hurt her jumping in and out so she peed on the side of the washer.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Switched it back to her old covered box that the dog was snacking from (ick) and she used the box again. We wound up cutting a round hole in the basement door just big enough for her whiskers so the dog couldn't get to the basement.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, I've just pictured fat-bum Duddley trying to clamber up to one.  He'd get stuck in the hole like Winnie-the-Pooh did when he visited Rabbit!   
  I remember that Winnie was forced to go on an emergency diet, which meant no honey, eek!  So that he could be squeezed out, with the aid of Christopher Robin et al tugging his arms, whilst Rabbit pushed his big fat bear bum from below.  I'm feeling very sad, and that memory has made a small dent.  

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty might do well with a box like that.  She's continually kicking her Kozy Kube around till the opening is on top, then leaping in.  Something to keep in mind!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He doesn't mind it at all! I'm sooo relieved... He is a sprayer ONLY in the litter and also super messy - This litter box has been a GOD SEND!!!!!

And woke up to him doing his weird purr today. I am trying to calm down about it but I'm STILL obsessive over it!!! I hate myself!!!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
NEVER EVER hate yourself for caring too much, only for caring too little.  The first can be fixed.  The second is just...well.  That purr is going to bug you until time proves it harmless.  Hang in there.

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are so right!!! I just think to myself.. I ALREADY went to the vet! She wasn't concerned and thought his purr was adorable! She checked his heart and lungs!!!

I just have to calm down. :)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yup.  Although you're a worrier by nature, and panicked because you just lost a very beloved cat.  It will ease off down the line.  And if his purr really is like the sound bytes you posted, I agree with the vet.  It IS adorable!

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I mentioned my childhood cat, Scooter, who made a high pitched noise when he purred and his meow was laughably silly, earlier in this thread; and @IndyJones's cat also makes the sound of a motorbike; it sounds like @Mamanyt1953's Hekitty is a loud snorer too; and Dudley is a twitcher when he sleeps, sometimes convulsing worryingly (I put my hand on him gently, and he stops).  Calvin is in good company.  And you are an amazing furfriend, it melts my heart to see how much you love him, and he clearly adores you.

Well done on coming so far with your anxiety.  It is a mountain to climb, I know all to well.  You may never reach the summit, but you will enjoy the view every step of the way  

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You guys are amazing!! Now I've gone from the purr to worrying about him gulping and burping... though I have heard online that this is likely from gingivitis (which the vet told me he has from teething!) I told the vet that he burped and swallowed at the appointment but she didn't care!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he eat fast? My Kabby eats fast and swallows air along with the food his bowl is empty within 5 minutes. If your cat eats fast he might be swallowing air.

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He does eat extremely fast!! At lightning speed almost. But my worry is because he does it sometimes before eating or long after!!!

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been through the air swallowing before, which I agree with.  

He might just be a windy cat.  Some people are windy, some people are not.  It could be the same with cats.  

It's more likely to be down to the food though, and him having some sort of mild food intolerance.  Did you check the ingredients?  There might be a well-known ingredient that other cats find intolerant that you could look up on the internet.  

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is eating sensitive stomach food :( I don't know what to do! He was on grain free beforehand as well.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the food grain free? Many cats can't handle grains corn in particular is known to cause indigestion and food allergies. Many cats also can't handle chicken or poultry.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
We need an actual list of ingredients not just sensitive stomach. Terms like sensitive stomach are often just hype hills for example is well known to use hype in advertising their science diet.

Royal Canin is equally guilty in using hype in foods such as their breed specific lines and even using claims like "neutered diet" it's all hype

Last edited: