My Cat Breathes Weird When He Purrs?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is that the case for polyps? I really cannot afford to go now.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is Care Credit, or a version of it available in Canada? It is a credit card for medical expenses, and covers both humans AND animals. Just a thought, as you do have a card, and may qualify.

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys! I am so sorry for the wait - I have been extremely busy with work. I am still waiting to go to the vet... but it seems as if Calvin is improving?!? I don't know! Very weird. He has good days and bad days. Today he is doing great.

I was away this weekend.. He had a little hairball, but I am not concerned because he is running around and happy as usual.

Also... grossest thing ever. Calvin caught one of those house centipede things with a million legs.... killed it. and took all of its legs off. SO GROSS! He must be a hunter!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hairballs happen. No matter what you feed, or suppliment with, in the spring and fall when there is a LOT of shedding, they happen. And generally mean nothing bad at all.

SO...he doesn't like drumsticks?

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I'm obsessively worrying or not! Calvin has started to do a "silent meow" along with his normal meow. At first I thought maybe he had a sore throat... but he still does his loud meows!

I haven't noticed that he did it before this week, and I was gone last weekend as well. I also had to leave him for a long weekend this weekend and I feel so afraid! I hope he will be okay. He seems completely fine. Eating, running around and playing. Just will randomly do a silent meow!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hector used to do that too. Some people say it's a way of saying I love you. It's not silent, it's just too high pitched for human ears.

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's what it seems like. He is a very vocal cat. He meows all the time! Now I feel extra bad for leaving him all weekend!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH, did anyone mention that cats will quite happily guilt you? They all do it, just like they all do the silent "meow" on occasion. Hekitty does it when I've told her NO to another treat, sometimes accompanied by falling over in the floor.

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wonder if that's what Calvin was doing! He tried to knock my lunch off the counter. I said NO, he started "silent meowing"... He's done it before, but he's doing it multiple times a day now! I wonder if he knows a new trick.. He will meow normally and then all of a sudden bring out the quiet meows!

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! Got back from the long weekend - Calvin was thrilled to see me!

I am still worried that somehow he has laryngitis :/ He will make a "silent meow", very raspy or completely silent for a while. But here's the thing... Afterwards, he will meow loudly! and then meow as normal. And then "decide" to make his silent raspy meows.

I am trying to talk myself off this ledge again *eyeroll* I think he is trying to drive me crazy!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's SUCH a cat thing! They seem to thrive on making us a bit nuts! And cats are capable of a VERY wide range of vocalizations, depending on the situation. Calvin well may be simply expanding his vocabulary!

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! Long time no talk. That is because nothing weird has happened! In fact, most days calvins "weird open mouth" purr has completely gone. I don't know what happened! Some days he coughs, but rarely as opposed to before....

I am still worried it could be a polyp or larygeal paralysis, but at the same time - I don't think the symptoms from either of those would just GO AWAY! He is doing a lot better!

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He does still do a slight open mouth purr. But he went from doing it CONSTANTLY to maybe once a day, only slightly open. 9 times out of 10, normal purr! He still gags, swallows and shakes his head. But a LOT less.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That sounds more like maybe allergies, and whatever was triggering them is not as thick in the air now! This would be the best thing possible, as it only requires medication for a few weeks a year to handle, rather than a surgical procedure. I was JUST thinking that I needed to track you down and see how you and Calvin were doing! Thanks for the update!

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww you are too sweet! He is really growing up... he has a favorite spot on the couch now he always naps in. He has really made himself at home :)

I am still worried (because I am CRAZY!) but I have to think that if it was a more serious problem it would be getting worse.. not going away and coming back. Next check up I will be mentioning it. :)

Attachments

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! Thought I would update. The more I see him, the more I think it must be allergies. I went on vacation and took him to my moms house... not ONE cough the entire time he was there (over 9 days)! We are since back home... he has had a small coughing fit since but is doing well. Eating, drinking, he does swallow a lot when he purrs.. I wonder if it's my house? :/

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm I'm wondering if it's the humidity that's the culprit actually! My mothers house has AC... mine doesn't. I was thinking of using the DE humidifier in my basement and seeing if that helps. He had quite a big cough today, hoping it could be a hairball too since he's had those before.