My Cat Breathes Weird When He Purrs?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Granted all cats are different my Kabby just has a look around and plunks himself down on a chair to nap. Even when we moved house.

Indy is pretty cool too.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course Kabby also loves riding in the car in his harness. I have one of those dog seat belts and just attach it to his harness and he stairs out the window.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! So sorry - was busy all weekend... then we finally got back to my place.

He is still having slight coughs since her got back home, but he is ok! I wonder if it could be allergies.... no coughing at my moms house. :/

But he is doing well! He was so happy to be home. Had the deepest purr I ever heard!!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
NOT coughing at your mom's house does make allergies seem more likely. This is something to bring up to your vet next time you are in. I wouldn't make a special trip for it, though, so long as you are managing it well at home for the time being.

Long ago, when my boys were kids, I had a cat who had the loudest, deepest purr I've ever heard. We named him Primus, after the band, because his bass took the lead!

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know!!!! He should be a cat model!

He is coughing more often - Sigh... I still have my worries it is a polyp. Thankfully, the cat insurance kicks in soon! I'm looking forward to getting him checked out. As my sister told me, "try not to worry until you can take him to the vet"! So I'm jotting things down and just waiting.

It's either a polyp, asthma, or allergy-related. It is getting a lot warmer out. I know he's indoors, but I wonder if that could have an effect on his symptoms.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unless you have special filters on your ac system, YES it could affect him. Not so much as if he went out, but certainly to some extent. Doors are opened, pollen is tiny. I have to triple my allergy meds in the spring and fall, and double them in the summer, and I RARELY go outside because of them.

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is still coughing a bit. *sigh* I still have my feelings that it's a polyp! But I'm trying to keep calm - He is otherwise a very happy guy. Still playing, having fun... He broke the string off of his favorite toy last night. He's pretty sad about it. He has been carrying around the broken toy in his mouth all day!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Every year my cat sneezes for a week or less. Allergies or cold so I put her in a separate room with a heated bed. One time my old cat was sneezing repetitively real fast like 10x. A sign of asthma but it has not happened again.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor baby. Hekitty did that when Da Bird bit the dust. She was so disconsolate that I immediate ordered a new one and paid for express shipping (putting off paying property taxes for a month, which cost me $6 in late fees, darn it!). Happy cat again.

When did the vet say it would be time to check for a polyp?

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! So sorry it's been a while. My computer has been haywire and life has been busy. He is still having issues. But he has good days and bad days.

I am trying to plan a vet visit as soon as I can! But I don't know if I'll be able to do it financially yet.
Poor baby. Hekitty did that when Da Bird bit the dust. She was so disconsolate that I immediate ordered a new one and paid for express shipping (putting off paying property taxes for a month, which cost me $6 in late fees, darn it!). Happy cat again.

When did the vet say it would be time to check for a polyp?

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know some of the things about polyps qualify as a "pre-existing" condition. I don't want to feel any of the vets! I am very happy to have pet insurance and will probably keep it. But I am scared that if it DOES qualify as a pre-existing condition, I will not be able to afford it!

I am in Canada if that makes a difference on financial options.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might contact the Canadian version of ASPCA...RSPCA? They may have a list of resources to help with vet bills.

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys!

I don't think it will be covered - So I have set up a very strict budget. :) I am hoping that Calvin's symptoms won't be too bad until I have enough funds for the vet. I feel horrible for making him wait, but he seems to be a very happy boy. Still running and playing, just with the symptoms I've listed here.

I think I will look into assistance as well! I don't know if they will cover me because I have a full time job and a credit card. We will see!