my cat ate a bird and is now quite sick

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

We have always had leash laws.  In the beginning I would let him run about with a leash and a second retractable.  At first he would stay close around and dragging all the leashes I thought he would continue.  One day I could not find him for 3 hours!  He came back without the leashes and harness.  I got a radio finder but it did not work very well.  Then I bought a GPS and let him out a few times alone but was just too worried about him to continue.  Now, I let him out alone during the days that I don't have anywhere to go but still worried.  Most of the time he has a harness and a very light leash on and I follow him around from a distance.  That way if he gets caught up I can free him.   I can not walk him as I would be too close to the neighbors windows.  Again, I would tell people not to start as this has become just too time consuming.
   This is the funniest thing I have ever heard of!!   So technically you are obeying the leash law by putting a leash on your cat.   But then you just let him run free with a harness and GPS device so you can track him down at dinner time.  Absolutely brilliant!   

Last edited:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi zoneout !

First off, I don't want to derail this thread BUT I'm driven crazy when I see inaccurate or incorrect information on cat health posted online. There may be people here who read threads to learn about their kitties' health and I'll be darned if I can let such go uncorrected. I came here to learn seven years ago - I'm still learning and, it's only when I'm certain of something that I'll post/offer information.

Perhaps I sounded a little flippant when I said "no need to be concerned about...long-term use" - perhaps if I had added the 'standard disclaimer' about getting veterinary advice, that might have helped. That was an oversight, and I'll try to remember to add it in somewhere in future.

Your original concern was about possible dehydration as a consequence of using MiraLAX....I'm going to presume that part has been debunked. Using an osmotic laxative is no different from giving food or dietary fibre.

Now, there is no contradiction of the reference I quoted. A chronically constipated cat will require some long-term intervention unless, miraculously, that resolves. In those cases, regular MiraLAX dosing is indeed a conservative and appropriate treatment........in medicine, the word "conservative" isn't defined by quantity or the the duration of treatment. "Conservative" refers to applying the appropriate treatment at the right time for the appropriate required length of time.....it is the opposite of 'willy-nilly'. Conservative describes a carefully thought out, cautious and considered approach by a competent practitioner to a presenting medical issue.........versus aggressive/radical intervention (which sometimes itself can be the best appropriate conservative response!). Conservative medicine isn't 'tight-fisted".  Ask Google.

Your Vetinfo links didn't work last night - I've just searched that site now. I found the first piece you quoted.  zoneout, that comes from an article written for ordinary, run-of-the-mill Joe/Jane pet owners. Read it slowly again. It's basically an info sheet/brochure/handout that's very cautiously worded, with periodic references to the attending Veterinarian...better yet, here's the opening:
 You can use Miralax to help relieve your cats constipation with dosage recommendations and other changes. The same formulation available for people can also be used for your cat, on a smaller dosage. When considering Miralax for your cat, consult with your vet to ensure there are no medical conditions or potential medication interactions that may occur. You can also increase your cats water consumption, especially if they seem more thirsty than usual.
Read more: Miralax for Cats
The writing style should tell you the audience/purpose for which it is intended. Now, at the tail end, the summary statement is a catch-all cautionary statement/disclaimer which basically directs Joe/Jane back to their Vets for any possible out-of-the-ordinary event/condition...for which the accusatory finger might otherwise be pointed at Vetinfo.

Here's another piece from Vetinfo:
 Miralax powder for oral administration to soften stools is safe for ongoing use in cats. There are no known adverse effects associated with administering this product long term in cats as a stool softener. It should not repeatedly be administered as an enema in cats with megacolon......................(and goes on about Megacolon)

http://www.vetinfo.com/vets/answers/can-miralax-be-used-safely-for-cat-with-megacolon
That piece is a response by a real Vet to a real question in April 2011- go to the page where you'll also find the (holistic) Vet's bio.

The first piece you quoted also says MiraLAX should not be used in cats with kidney failure.....I have no idea when that was written but, the 'reality-on-the-ground' in 2014 (and for the past 7 years at least) is that not only can it be used with kidney cats but, it is the osmotic laxative OF CHOICE in those cats because the other common option, Lactulose, can cause calcium levels to rise....we've seen that on this site. That's partly why lactulose is "old school' now. I understand that IBS cats can and do also benefit from its long-term use - there's an IBD Kitties group you can ask about that. The woman who wrote the FelineConstipation.org site can be reached by email there for more info.

So, the bottom line: "no need to be concerned about MiraLAX long term use" in chronically constipated cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moosedog

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitty's nose is running constantly.  He ate a decent amount last night but he barely ate anything today, like 2 tablespoons of wet food.  He does not drink much water and I doubt he drank any today.  Do I need to give him some?  Poor guy will freak if I go anywhere near his mouth ever again. 

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was told by my vet that cats lose their appetite if they cannot smell.   Not sure if the runny nose is impacting his sense of smell though.  Try some stinkier food and see if that helps.  Suggest some of the nastiest dark-meat tuna you can find.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regarding the subject of MiraLAX and dehydration and whether it is safe to use long-term, I think this depends on the circumstances. MiraLAX can definitely be dehydrating as it works by drawing water into the colon, which takes fluid away from other organs such as the kidneys. This is why it is VERY important that cats receive ample water when using osmotic laxatives, as well as bulk-forming laxatives for that matter, to prevent dry stools. When osmotic laxative doses are too high, you get diarrhea, and if prolonged, dehydration. What makes MiraLAX and other laxatives dangerous, is when they are not used properly or appropriately, and the need for water is not adhered to.

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/laxatives

http://barnard.edu/counseling/resources/eating-disorders/laxatives

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/cat-constipation-and-fecal-impaction

As many here know, I have a cat who had been struggling with constipation for two years. I used laxatives (lactulose) occasionally for severe episodes. Following a switch in diet, and discovering Slippery Elm Bark as a fiber source to address constipation, I haven't used laxatives in quite some time. My issue with ongoing laxative use, is that the colon becomes dependent on laxatives to facilitate bowel movements and thus, the colon becomes lazy due to loss of muscle tone. This dependency is one reason why laxatives that have been used ongoing for some time, should not be stopped abruptly. My preferred approach to constipation, is to determine the cause of constipation, rather than use laxatives, that simply manage the problem. There are different causes for constipation, and so it is really important I think, to determine why a cat is constipated. Determining the cause and addressing it appropriately, is a much safer and healthier approach in the long run.

Just another perspective on the subject of laxatives ...

Last edited:

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Kitty's nose is running constantly.  He ate a decent amount last night but he barely ate anything today, like 2 tablespoons of wet food.  He does not drink much water and I doubt he drank any today.  Do I need to give him some?  Poor guy will freak if I go anywhere near his mouth ever again. 
Hi there .. I hope your kitty is feeling better today. Regarding water, if your kitty does not drink much on his own, you could try adding some to his wet food to increase his moisture levels.

I haven't read all of the posts, but I see that stool softeners and dehydration have been mentioned. I would recommend not using stool softeners if dehydration is an issue at this time. If there is diarrhea or constipation, you could try some pumpkin or slippery elm bark which are natural sources of soluble fiber but are not particularly bulk-forming, and will help to address either one.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

moosedog

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone.  Mustaffa is doing great.  He is almost back to 100%.  A few sneezes and snorts once or twice a day.  He wants outside so bad he is driving everyone crazy.  I've been trying to keep  him in but he'll sneak out eventually or I'll have to just let him out.  I couldn't think straight the other day because he was following me and yelling at me all day long.  I've been feeding him only wet food since he's been sick, wow, does that get expensive.  I'm going to have to get him on a new feeding schedule also because if he can't get outside then he screams for more food.  I going to have to let him out to keep my sanity.