my cat ate a bird and is now quite sick

moosedog

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On thursday I heard crunching noises and saw my cat under the bush gnawing thru some bird.  I usually take the wild game away from him but did not this time.  I told him he would get sick and now he is.  I notice he usually gets sick after he catches his own food.  That night he was sick and I left him alone because I figured he'd get sick.  Friday I noticed his left eye was a little off and the inside eyelid(the white one), was covering a fourth of his eye.  He was also off balance a little bit.  Saturday he ate some food and drank some water in the morning and perked right up.  His eye was back to normal and he went up down the steps a few times and was trying to get outside.  I took him to the vet on saturday anyway cause I was freaked out about the eye thing. 

The vet looked him over and said he looked very good and healthy.  She recommended xray for possible blockage and blood tests for leukemia and whatever else they blood test for.  And some fluids because she said he could be dehydrated.  I was going to get those things but she would do them because  I would not get him another rabbies vaccine.  He got one 3 years ago and he does not need another one.  First she tried to tell me that it was the 'law' that I had to get him rabbies vaccine every year and I said I don't care about law and then she tried to say that morally he might be infecting other cats and she would do anything else to him unless I got a rabbies vaccine.  I'll refrain to express my feelings about callous vaccine nazi.   I just need some more advice for my cat. 

Now today he is sick and run down again.  he looks constipated or I think he has an obstruction.  I've read some other posts of this topic and It looks like some obstruction. He puked a little tiny bit and it looked like there was fur ball trying to come out but it never did, just the some clear brownish fluid that comes with fur balls.  He was struggling with defecating after the vet and only a little bit came out and it looked wet.  I gave him like an 1/8 of a teaspoon of good olive oil and he ate some food.  Then he tried to defecate again and more came out but not as much as usual and it looked wet.  

He is still sick today.  Now today I fed him a little bit in the morning and he drank some water.  I seen him struggling to defecate and did not see anything come out.  he turned around and I could not see if anything came out that time, then he turned around again and dug in the sand and tried again and he struggled and nothing came out, then he noticed me and gave out a little cry and then went to sleep.   He was just begging me to feed him again but still looks quite sluggish.  No eye problem at all since yesterday morning and his balance still looks a little bit off.  When I say a little bit, it is a little bit.  His name is Mustaffa and he's 12 years old.  My plan is to keep watching him and take him to a new vet tomorrow.

If someone has any opinions on my situation please tell men and please do not hold anything back. 

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I definitely think he needs the xray so im glad you're taking him back to a new vet tomorrow. I completely agree with you in regards to not wanting to over vaccinate you cat. However, if no one will provide him medical care without the shot, I would just let them give him one. Especially now that it looks like he may be blocked. That's just my opinion and what I would do in the situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moosedog

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will just lie to the new vet and tell them he is vaccinated.  Is that even true what that vet said about its the 'law' that she has to refuse to help a sick animal?  that's ridiculous and she had a sign in the window about accepting ferals/strays.  Also, she examined my cat and was not worried about rabies.  how is an xray going to give her rabies when the physical exam did not?  that's a lying manipulative you know what if you ask me. 

I gave kitty some food and he smelled it and walked away and is now sleeping.  Is there anything I should do?  or just wait for the vet? 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is the law to vaccinate your cat against rabies but not a law that a vet has to refuse treatment if you refuse vaccination. That's a ploy to get you to do what they want.

I'm pretty sure that the new vet can ask for his records from the previous vet so don't lie about that. But you can say that you won't vaccinate a sick cat (it's right on the vaccine vial!) and you'll do it when he's healthy. Maybe that will pacify them. And if you "forget" to bring him later. . .oh well :D.

Last edited:

moosedog

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will the new vet ask for records?    I'll just say my mom took him to the vet 6 months ago after a fight and he got vaccinated.  Why would he doubt me?  or do they always ask for records?  ... I got the impression this last place only made a big deal because I told them the truth.  I doubt they would have refused me yesterday and turned down my money, if I had told them he was up to date.   that liar vet has control issues like you said and just wanted to push her vaccine.  that is really sick when you think about it.  I'm more worried about my cat now but when he's better I'm going to be more angry at her.  

I just fed him a really small portion of some raw chicken and he ate that.  I have not seen him even try to use his box for about 10 hours and I've been paying close attention and I hear a sneeze every couple hours.  Now he just threw up again as I write this, i will go check...... 

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are still finding rabies in domestic pets.  It stinks.  However, I wouldn't let my cat die over something like a rabies vaccination.  An obstruction can turn into a perforation, although not always, there is that chance and your animal was sick enough that you took it to a vet.  Have you tried another vet?

From a licensing standpoint, if your cat had rabies and infected others yet she did not uphold the law...I think we all know what would happen.  You said the cat was vaccinated 3 years ago and now it's 6 months ago?  I can see where thevet says "not on my license."  Just get the vaccine and help your cat.

moosedog

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it was 3 years ago.  I said I am going to lie to the new vet and say it was 6 months ago.  A vaccine is not going to help him now anyways so why is she pushing it?  it doesn't just magically take effect instantly.  If anything it will make him sicker.  He's a normal cat that ate a bird and got sick.  If he had rabies wouldn't he be much sicker and need much more than a vaccine.   and how would he infect other cats at the clinic when everyone was in there own room or in a cage? my cat wouldn't leave my side he not going to break down doors and attack other animals. 

moosedog

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he did not throw up anything.  I guess he just yakked a couple times and he was by his dish asking for more food.  I afraid to even feed him if there is an obstruction.  is it ok to give him a little bit of food like I did? 

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I misunderstood, I understand now that you meant the 6 months thing as a ploy.  That's my mistake and I sincerely apologize.  For your sake I hope they don't ask for proof of the recent vaccine.

moosedog

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
no problem, no need to apologize.  I guess if every vet is going to refuse him treatment and I am forced to get the shot I will.  there is a popular holistic vet a good 90 minutes away.  I'll go there if I have to.  I should probably just call them anyways and go there tomorrow. 

what about food?  is it ok to feed him a little bit of food?  should I just wait? 

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My best advice until getting him to a vet:  pedialyte and any food he'll eat.  I wouldn't expect a lot of food to stay down if it is an obstruction, so little amounts unless he vomits profusely.  A dehydrated and obstructed cat is bad.  So pedialyte if you got it!

In a county neighboring mine, a cat tested positive for rabies.  It's symptoms were mildly neurological in nature.  They don't all turn Cujo.  Again I'm sorry for jumping the gun with you, and I had a cat that I refused to vaccinate but she was also 100% indoor only (declawed, I'll never do it again) and had diabetes, a thymoma that was 1/2 of her chest cavity, and CKD.  My vet understood why I was afraid with such an immune compromised cat.  However, I'm not about to inject these healthy cats like a crazy person either.  There's a balance, that's for sure.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, feed him whatever he'll eat.

While I kind of agree with "just do what they want to have him treated", here's the thing----he's already sick! A sick cat should NEVERnevernever receive a vaccine! This is even on the vaccine vial. The vets are totally going against label instructions if they vaccinate a sick animal. Vaccines given to sick animals/people do not confer immunity (useless) and may make the patient sicker. This is why pediatricians will not vaccinate your kid if you bring him in with a fever or other obvious signs of illness.

Not all vets will refuse treatment for unvaccinated animals. I guess you could call around to ask about their policies.

moosedog

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks about the warning on the vaccine vial.  thats good to know.  Also yesterday at the vet he was looking and acting really healthy so maybe thats why she was pushing the vaccine. 

I never heard of pedialyte.  I'll look it up.  Not much is open now except walmart... do they sell it there or just pet stores? 

moosedog

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
that looks like that its just for people.  maybe its ok for pets but I'm gunna need some convincing of that. 

eating seems contradictory to me if he has a blockage.  His vomits only contain small amounts of that clear brown liquid they always throw up..  He is not projective vomiting or anything.  he just ate a little bit more wet food. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pedialyte is a hydration formula sold for children/babies. It will be in the baby section at Walmart. The Great Choice brand is also acceptable. Some cats like the taste but you might have to help him so get a big plastic dropper too (in the pharmacy section with the baby medications).

Yes, it's safe for pets. I've used it many times in several different species :).

He may not be blocked, so encouraging him to eat may be helpful. If he keeps vomiting anything he eats, then you can be pretty sure it's a blockage. If he manages to keep it down, that's a pretty good indication he's not totally blocked.

Last edited:

moosedog

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
they sell the raw coconut water at wholefoods.  I might be able to make it there.  Otherwise walmart is open.  Its sounds to me that the coconut water would be better.  Are they about the same? 

I have some coconut water here.  the C20 brand.  Its in a can and not raw.  Does that matter?  or should I go get some of the real stuff at wholefoods? 

and thanks everyone for your replies

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if not raw is the same, sorry! It just shouldn't have anything added to it. And if it's reconstituted from coconut meat, then it isn't the right stuff.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coconut water is also known in humans to stimulate peristalsis...if he's constipated the coconut water may help.

moosedog

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ingredients:  100% natural coconut water, young coconut pulp. 

I just tried to see if would would drink some and he had none of that.  He was asking for more food. 

do I use a syringe to give it to him?  because he will not like that.